Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Special quick release sling (Read 4532 times)
jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Special quick release sling
Dec 9th, 2010 at 12:00pm

Some time ago I made a different release sling that David Engvall used too.Today I found that sling and made some special ammo for it.Never tested it,but I would like to compare it with a traditional sling that has the same lenght and ammo.The advantage of this sling I think is that has very little air drag and releases the projectile with lesser friction than a traditional one.Another advantage would be the perfect consistent release.Cons are that it does not spin the projectile,and can only shoot special ammo with a hook.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:19pm by jlasud »  

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Special quick release sling
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 2:51pm

Fascinating.  I'd have never thought of that.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Let us know how it goes.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 8:07pm

How could you make and not find the time to give it a try. I'd be pretty interested in finding out how it goes.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 3:58am

dork wrote on Dec 9th, 2010 at 8:07pm:
How could you make and not find the time to give it a try. I'd be pretty interested in finding out how it goes.

I didn't try it because I only made one iron dart with fins on it and I didn't wanted to sling it randomly to lose it.Now that I have some lead ammo cast with hooks made from wire in it,like sinkers, I will try it,and publish the results.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:17pm

Today I had a great slinging session,and also tested out a few of the lead glans with wire loop using the special release sling.I wasn't impressed as the wire loop was messing up the aerodynamics pretty badly for extreme range shooting,for what it was intended for.I could hear them hissing through the air and couldn't sling them as far as with a regular sling and regular gland of the same dimensions.So this is why David Engvall choose to put fins on his projectiles when he made the World record.He's original setup is much better than the one I made,but anyway it's an interesting concept.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:49pm

I'm thinking out loud here, but I wonder how a pyramid sinker would work?

PyramidSnkr.jpg (12 KB | )
PyramidSnkr.jpg

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 4:33pm

Compared to stones really good,but compared to a nice elongated airfoil shape gland,not so good.And if it was slung from a special sling like this,it would have to flip it's big ass forward and leave it's point in the back.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 5:11pm

True.  There's another kind I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure what it's called.  It's like a semi-flattened circle with that same kind of wire tie.  I'm trying to find a picture of it.  That might actually work.  
   I couldn't find what I was looking for, but perhaps bell sinkers like these would work.  They're more aerodynamic and wouldn't have to turn around like the pyramid sinker.

BellSinkers.jpg (19 KB | )
BellSinkers.jpg

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 6:45pm

One of the problems in any of the above setups is that the sinker is moving sideways, not point forward, when it is released. David Engvall's dart had the hook engagement mechanism in the side of the main body so it was flying point forward at all times, with minimum air drag.

It is critical that the projectile be launched correctly oriented as it will NOT automatically self correct and that lovely potentially aerodynamic shape will be wasted; you'd probably be better off with an ordinary ball shaped sinker.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:50am

Rat Man wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 5:11pm:
True.  There's another kind I'm thinking of, but I'm not sure what it's called.  It's like a semi-flattened circle with that same kind of wire tie.  I'm trying to find a picture of it.  That might actually work.  
  I couldn't find what I was looking for, but perhaps bell sinkers like these would work.  They're more aerodynamic and wouldn't have to turn around like the pyramid sinker.

The bell sinkers would be much better than the pyramid and maybe even the one I used because they have their center of mass in front of it's shorter axis,and that helps them orient themselves quicker.The one I used was symmetrical like a rugby ball and that made them spin along their short axis,because the sideway release.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 3:01am

Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 6:45pm:
One of the problems in any of the above setups is that the sinker is moving sideways, not point forward, when it is released. David Engvall's dart had the hook engagement mechanism in the side of the main body so it was flying point forward at all times, with minimum air drag.

It is critical that the projectile be launched correctly oriented as it will NOT automatically self correct and that lovely potentially aerodynamic shape will be wasted; you'd probably be better off with an ordinary ball shaped sinker.

I agree,and know that David Engvall had a hole in the side of his projectile which is much better.With an elongated airfoil shape gland that has it's center of mass much forward than it's half length it would self orient pretty quickly(not like the one I used)but of course this self orienting and sideways release can cost quite a bit of aerodynamics.Anyways I will probably try the original design too just to compare things,but from this experience I don't think that this special sling is better than a nice thin traditional one with a small pouch.When I made this setup,I thought that self orienting will resolve things,and it didn't,at least not until it spin the gland a hundred times around ,and maybe after a 100m flight it did.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 1:21pm

if a dart is point heavy then it will self correct.
But either way you're better off launching it in the right orientation.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 5:19pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 1:21pm:
if a dart is point heavy then it will self correct.
But either way you're better off launching it in the right orientation.

This is the case with darts, however it is not so with all elongated projectles. A good dart like Hondero's kestros which he launches with a similar sideways motion, does correct and fly point forward. Nevertheless, it has been my experience that elongated solid projectiles do not self correct, or only to a very, very limited degree. I've experimented with elongated stones, old machinery rollers, batteries, rubbers door stop type tyres, and even a lovely golf-cross ball sent to me by C-A. Of these only the golf-cross ball showed any tendency to self correct. All the other projectiles were perfectly happy to fly sideways, at some odd angle, or even with the long axis vertical. Golf cross balls are very aerodynamic, feature dimples like ordinary golf balls and importantly have a density only marginally higher than water. Lead sinkers have so high a density that at slinging velocities the differences in air pressure over various parts of the sinker's surface are insufficient to cause it to turn.

I am convinced that slung leaden projectiles like the pear shaped sinkers featured above, will never self correct. They must leave the pouch already correctly oriented and spinning about the long axis for gyroscopic stability like bullets from a firearm.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)