Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The death of Joan Pizarro (Read 3101 times)
Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
The death of Joan Pizarro
Dec 6th, 2010 at 3:23pm

I found this chronicle on a PDF document called Hondas y boleadoras en la América hispana by Jesus Vega Hernandez (Hondero) the same guy who wrote "Historia de la honda"
Google the title and you´ll find it.

One interesting segment tells how Joan Pizarro got killed battling the Incan army. The sequence of events goes like this:

-The Spaniards and their native allies have the low ground. The Inca resistance has strategically placed defenses on the high ground. Slingers bombard the Spaniards with rocks.
-At some point in the battle, a Spanish soldier called Pedro del Barco takes a sling shot to the head. It is unclear whether he survived or not, it is mentioned he "fell down, knocked out cold"
-Joan Pizarro rushes to help the fallen soldier. He takes a sling shot to the jawbone. A wounded Joan Pizarro remains with the horsemen.  
-The next day, Joan Pizarro himself leads a new attack. Due to his wound, he is unable to wear a helmet, but carries a shield instead.
-At some point, he failed to cover his head with the shield. A sling shot hits him in the head.
-Joan Pizarro dies 2 weeks later.

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2010 at 2:48pm by Rockman »  

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: The death of Joan Pizarro
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:10pm

Thanks for sharing the translation with us. An interesting history vignette.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 12:07pm

I suppose it's the infection after the skull fracture that killed him ?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 12:26pm

Thearos wrote on Dec 9th, 2010 at 12:07pm:
I suppose it's the infection after the skull fracture that killed him ?

I'd put my money an a slow brain bleed. Pressure builds over time with the injured person looking acting and talking normally for the first day or so and then weird neuro- symptoms start popping up. One of the more noticeable early symptoms can be slurred speech, but the broken jaw would mask that. People with brain bleeds are often misdiagnosed with concussions, so it could have been mistreated up until Pizarro died.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 2:51pm

http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/theconquistadors/p/09juanpizarro.htm

A biography of Joan Pizarro. I read somewhere that he "agonized for weeks". Also the chronicle says that the stone cracked his skull.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)