Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hunting Sling Legality (Read 39425 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Hunting Sling Legality
Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:10pm

This website has a link to each states hunting page for the United States. I'll be going through and posting the legal status of hunting with the sling in my free time, and if people from other countries would like to post the legal info relevant to their country feel free. I will post "not legal" if hunting with the sling is questionable or in doubt. All of these laws get updated yearly and I encourage everyone to look up the relevant laws before trying to hunt. This list is a quick visual reference and intended only to be a general guideline. Do not try to hunt with any weapon if you do not know the relevant laws.
Edited:
  • Alabama-legal for all non-game animals and some small game (being defined as a slingshot, blowgun, or device fitting similar description)
  • Alaska-legal with no restrictions
  • Arizona-legal for all non-game mammals (no legal definition for sling or slingshot; both are considered weapons of intent)
  • Arkansas-legal for crow, all predators, small game, and non-game mammals during an open small game and/or non-game season
  • California-not legal
  • Colorado-not legal (slingshot is defined very specifically as having elastic bands and a non-elastic pouch)
  • Connecticut-not legal
  • Delaware-not legal
  • Florida-not legal
  • Georgia-not legal
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky-not legal
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey-not legal
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma-legal for small game
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania-not legal for migratory waterfowl
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia-not legal
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:14pm by Masiakasaurus »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Hunting Sliong Legality
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:31pm

I already know that in New Jersey it's a no go.  It's probably that way across much of America.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hunting Sliong Legality
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:16pm

In PA slingshots (forked stick and rubber kind) are frowned upon but I am pretty sure on probably all small game are not illegal (definitely ground hogs as long as you are wearing an orange hat I think you can hunt ground hogs with almost anything [because they are vermin/pest]) as there isn't any thing against them but as far as migrartory waterfowl goes there is probably some law against it.  Undecided

I will look it up tomorrow to verify this info and post again.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Hunting Sling Legality
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:10pm

Thanks for posting Masi.

Good news... bows and air guns are ok for small game in Cali.

Bad news... Slings,  atlatl, rabbit sticks and essentially all the really interesting weapons are a no go.    Tongue

Weird... Slingshots are classified as a crossbow?  Huh

IP Logged

Redbeard

ARIZONA
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:27pm

Slings (if they fall under the definition of "slingshots") are legal for tree squirrels, cottontail rabbits, house sparrows and European starlings in Arizona.

IP Logged

Redbeard

KENTUCKY
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:38pm

Every mention of slingshots (slings per se are not mentioned) in the most recently published Kentucky Hunting and Trapping Guide (2010-2011) says that they are illegal for use in taking game.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 8:42am

Pretty sure in most parts of Australia you can hunt with anything within reason but must remember you can get big fines and few years in jail for animal cruelty here. And just general bad form to get around hurting animals, especially anything native as a general rule. Birds in particular.

Interesting question, not something I think about a lot but I'll read up on it.

Most ferals here (goats, bullocks, buffalo) are probably a bit large to go after, but I can't see anyone getting too upset if you're popping bunnies or feral cats in your back paddock.

Suspect slings (as opposed to slingshots) would be something of a grey area in most civilised parts of the world. Then again slingshots are illegal to sell in most aussie states... whacky old world.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: KENTUCKY
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 9:28am

Redbeard wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Every mention of slingshots (slings per se are not mentioned) in the most recently published Kentucky Hunting and Trapping Guide (2010-2011) says that they are illegal for use in taking game.

You have to go to the states Criminal code and look up their definition of slingshot. When I looked up Alabama's definition it was defined by how it worked (used elastic to accelerate a projectile) and devices of like description which accelerate a projectile in manners undefined. E.G. Catapults, trebuchets, slings, and spring powered guns all fit this description. In the hunting laws slingshots are specifically mentioned as legal for "other game animals and fowl" not specifically covered under other laws. Under the definition of slingshot a sling is also a legal hunting weapon. If Kentucky's laws are exclusionary laws (this, this, and this can't be used) and a sling doesn't fall under the Kentucky definition of slingshot then the sling could be legal, within reason. It's a lot of work to look this stuff up, especially if you only use the official state government website.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:39pm

i asked my local game warden about this a while back. as far as he and i could tell in Oklahoma it it undefined. Small game is ok because the legal weapons for taking small game are somewhat undefined. if you are considering hunting with a sling, my advice is to ask a local game warden. they're the ones that are gonna make this call if you are found in the field hunting with one. Deer: not legal in oklahoma to hunt with sling bacause legal weapons are defined in state hunting regs. Migratory waterfowl: i.e. ducks and geese; fall under federal laws and should not be legal to take with sling anywhere in the U.S.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:19am

I looked it up in the hunting books, hunting normal small game in PA with a sling is knid of a gray area.
But, as long as you are wearing an orange hat, whistle pigs/ground hogs/wood chucks/rock chucks could all probably be legally hunted with a sling as you can pretty much hunt them with just about anything as they are a pest animal.

As far as waterfowl goes though I am pretty sure hunting those with a sling would be frowned upon. Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: ARIZONA
Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Redbeard wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:27pm:
Slings (if they fall under the definition of "slingshots") are legal for tree squirrels, cottontail rabbits, house sparrows and European starlings in Arizona.  

Slingshots are not defined in the Arizona penal code, and Arizona's hunting laws specifically list what is and is not allowed. If the slingshot is okay then you can ask a game warden if the sling is also allowed. I cannot say one way or another what the law was intended to say, but I can tell you that there are no regulations on how to take non-game mammals outside of ethics violations so slings are definitely legal for badgers, raccoons, and opossums.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:51pm

Ifrit617 wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:28pm:
I can not fin anything onthe new york website involving slings. Could someone please try to find something? Thanks.

Go to this page and look for the legal methods of take.

If the laws are exclusionary (meaning it tells you what not to do) see if it tells you to not use a slingshot. If slingshots are mentioned google New York Penal Code and see how slingshots are defined. If a sling could be classified as a slingshot then it's not legal. If the definition of slingshot doesn't cover the sling then slings are still legal, but questionable. Then you'd need to ask a New York Game warden in person and explain what a sling is.

If the hunting laws make allowances (meaning that it tells you what you can do) the look for a mention of the slingshot. If it doesn't mention a slingshot then slings are a no go. If it does say that you can use a slingshot then look up slingshot in the penal code the same as I said before and find how New York defines slingshots.

You'll need to do this for every large game animal and every game bird, plus one small game animal and one non-game animal because these laws usually say something like "Ground squirrels and other small game animals can only be taken with the legal methods for the season it was taken," and you'll need to know what the legal method for a deer is if you hunt squirrel during the deer season. I won't have time to do this until my exams are over and Thanksgiving break starts, which begins this Saturday. If you get to it before me please post on here so I can add New Yorks regulations to the list.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:16pm by Masiakasaurus »  

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

John

Endangered Species!

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 8:28am

hybrid_throwback wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 8:42am:
Pretty sure in most parts of Australia you can hunt with anything within reason but must remember you can get big fines and few years in jail for animal cruelty here. And just general bad form to get around hurting animals, especially anything native as a general rule. Birds in particular.

Interesting question, not something I think about a lot but I'll read up on it.

Most ferals here (goats, bullocks, buffalo) are probably a bit large to go after, but I can't see anyone getting too upset if you're popping bunnies or feral cats in your back paddock.

Suspect slings (as opposed to slingshots) would be something of a grey area in most civilised parts of the world. Then again slingshots are illegal to sell in most aussie states... whacky old world.

Interestingly.... in Victoria (and I think Vic laws are in line with Aus Customs) the only slingshots that are prohibited are Commercially made or those that have wrist braces. Make one yourself - no wrist brace and technically theyre only a controlled weapon (ie come under same restrictions as say a baseball bat or an axe).

IP Logged

towelie
Tiro

Stercus Accidit!

Vienna, Va
Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:58pm

Could someone point me toward the part of the Alaska Hunting & Fishing Laws document that this thread's current stance on sling hunting in Alaska is based on?

Tu es gausapinam!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:59pm

towelie wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:58pm:
Could someone point me toward the part of the Alaska Hunting & Fishing Laws document that this thread's current stance on sling hunting in Alaska is based on?

For game and non-game, from small to large.

For migratory fowl, page 6. (Repeat)

For bears resident to unit 19D, Page 2. (Repeat)

For bears resident to unit 16, page 3. (Repeat)

For wolves, Page 4. (Repeat)

They moved the section on legal methods of take for nongame, it'll take me more than a minute to find it. It's somewhere on the hunting regulations website that I linked to in the original post. Regardless, it will repeat the methods of take from the 1st link just as the rest of these have. All of the regulations that you'll find from that link are lifted from each state's page and are therefore up to date.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:52am by Masiakasaurus »  

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)