Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trebuchet sling problems (Read 11926 times)
throwNUP
Novicius

Slinging Potatoes!

Boise, Idaho
Trebuchet sling problems
Oct 4th, 2010 at 1:10pm

I've built a Trebuchet with the following dimensions;
Height 3'
Base 3'
Arm 9" on the short side of the axle, 3' 3" on the long side
Rope to counter weight 1'
Counter weight 50lbs
Sling 3'

I built a pouch for the sling, and I'm trying to launch tennis balls. The ball keeps getting stuck in the pouch and not releasing. The release side of the sling seems to be letting go at the right time. If I just tie the ball to just one rope and hook that on the release pin on the arm then the ball flies, although not as far as I had hoped.

I'll add some pictures, hopefully tonight so everyone can see the Trebuchet to see what I am talking about.

Any advice so far?

Keep Throw N Up
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Re: Trebuchet sling problems
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 4:26pm

First bit of advice: 50 pounds is way too much for throwing tennis balls. 25 is more than plenty. I'd have to see photos to make a judgment on what may need changing. Most likely a different pouch design would help.

Not sure what you consider disappointing distance. 100 feet would be more than OK with something this size.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:40pm

This pouch is perfect!Just build it to size from the screen.If you right click to "view image" it should appear 6 5/16" x 3 5/16".
If that doesn't work just resize on the screen until the dimensions are close.It requires 6 holes,and a cardboard soda 12 pack box is good for the template.
\
  Good luck!

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:49pm

Here's a finished pouch.

6-Hole_001.JPG (177 KB | )
6-Hole_001.JPG

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:56pm

I actually used a speed square to draw the right sized rectangle,then measured out the rise and run of each notch on the monitor and transcribed to the template,and then the leather.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 11:24am

This template .... modified for width and length was what I used for one of my first slings ... makes a good cupped pouch

Good luck with your treb....

#243 of 250

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 12:07pm

The pouch shown is featured on Ripcord's site. Attributed to L&B, whoever they are. An excellent design: I've thrown small pumpkins with one made from denim from some old jeans. It's easy enough to make without transfering to a template. This isn't rocket science, more "close enough for government work".

For tennis balls, rectangle length would be 7 to 7 1/4", width 2 1/2 to 2 3/4". Tabs would be 1/2" on the ends. The cutouts would extend to about 1 to 1 1/4" from the center line of the rectangle. If you're thinking of throwing baseballs, too, go to the larger dimensions.

IP Logged

throwNUP
Novicius

Slinging Potatoes!

Boise, Idaho
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 1:00pm

Hey thanks to everyone for the advice.  Wink I'll put up some pictures and video soon. We are getting about 100 feet or so with apples! With some good sling improvements we should be able to increase that too!

Keep Throw N Up
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:55pm

HurlinThom wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 12:07pm:
The pouch shown is featured on Ripcord's site. ...... "close enough for government work"

When I was young and dumb and in the Navy I error-ed and used that phrase to a lifer ..... not a wise choice.

Now I'm old and dumb and think it is a perfectly true phrase

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 4:22pm

Steven wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:55pm:
HurlinThom wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 12:07pm:
The pouch shown is featured on Ripcord's site. ...... "close enough for government work"

When I was young and dumb and in the Navy I error-ed and used that phrase to a lifer ..... not a wise choice.

Now I'm old and dumb and think it is a perfectly true phrase

There's so much waste in the gummint, military not excluded, that it would be funny if you and I weren't paying for it. I've heard of shooting off thousands of rounds of small arms ammo rather than filling out the paperwork to return it to stock. $400 coffeemakers and $80 hammers.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:43pm

HurlinThom wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 4:22pm:
There's so much waste in the gummint, military not excluded ...  

I was in the Navy and we kept Davy Jones's Locker  well stocked

We routinely tossed 100,000's of thousands of $$ of stuff overboard every time a cruise was finished and the ship was headed back to the States

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man)