Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
atlatl hunting makes the news (Read 3031 times)
Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
atlatl hunting makes the news
Sep 28th, 2010 at 6:46pm

my friend Justin and fellow paleoplanet member (Huey Tlatoani) is featured in a great article about the atlatl.  Smiley

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/09/28/atlatl-fall-season-hunting-...

hopefully more states will follow Missouri in legalizing the atlatl for large game hunting.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: atlatl hunting makes the news
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 7:48pm

Excellent!  Smiley

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 9:09pm

Great!  The kick in the pants ftom the Alabama DNR is the point must be 2 inches (5cm) wide.  That pretty much means a steel point.  I have often wondered where they came up with that.  Bob Berg was very instramental in getting the weapon legalized, he did demonstrations and lectured several times in Montgomery.  He used to teach classes before the price of gas went through the roof.  Bill

IP Logged

colejack3
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

tomball texas
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 9:26pm

Thats great! GOod job justin

Do not judge your neighbor  until you have walk two moons in his moccasins - cheyenne&&&&&&

IP Logged

Dutchy
Ex Member

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 9:42pm

Great article!

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 7:00am

cool,  around here there is no prohibition on atlatl hunting,  several ppl have caught moose as well as other game here in AK,  also spear hunting is legal too,  someone around here killed a brown bear with one,  though I think from a treestand,  I wouldn't wanna go toe to toe with one,  treestand is much better to me,  I also killed my 1st black bear a few years back wit my 30-30 lever,  I shot it 3x in 2 seconds more or less,  the fastest Ive ever fired say short of a semiauto or an automatic;  my 1st shot I hit it straight in the noggin,  then it jumped and rolled forward,  then for security i popped in 2 fast shots almost on top of eachother,  like 2 fingers close,  ahhh good times  Wink.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 7:25am

this is the style I use,  mainly for animals in water like:  beavers, muskrats,  and birds,  although its better to have a bird spear (with 3 or more long barbed points) than a single barbed point like I have in the pic,  the spear or dart I have right now is only good for beavers right now,  I need a better point either made of brass or ivory to do a better job on seals,  they go in an arch rather than an arrow with a straight trajectory.  Mine's a lil heftier than ppls from my area,  idk but they can throw them really far maybe because they're light-weight,  most of the weight is on the front of the dart/spear.  It works with a dart much like that guy who killed that deer in the article,  I can use a 6 foot 3/16'' dowel;  put a point on it as well as feathers and itll shoot well,  not in an arch like the one in the pic.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 11:45pm

i only worry that people will be enchanted to try this themselves, and just hurt animals from inaccuracy.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 10:33am

Woonilsra, that can be said about anyone irresponsible enough to hunt with a weapon they aren't proficient with. based on my experience, more than half of the folks who hunt with guns shouldn't.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 1:05pm

im aware of that, which is why im even more worried about atatl hunting, which must be far harder than a gun

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)