changing sling stones (Read 1444 times)
Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
changing sling stones
Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:22pm

when i started slinging i like to use rocks about half the size of my fist, maybe a little larger than an egg.i have been slinging for about 5,6 months, and i have noticed that i have slowing been shifting to shorter slings (4-5 ft slings to about 32 inches. I can't even think of using anything but a Balearic sling  ) , and not only that , but also to smaller stones.

i find that now i actually prefer to throw stones a little smaller than a golf ball, a bit less than half the size if i am really going for distance. I really like that extra velocity and power that I am able to pack into the smaller stones.

have you noticed your preferences changing as you have improved at slinging, especially after you started actually "getting the hang of it" ?

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2010 at 9:07pm by Cthulhu »  

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: changing sling stones
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 9:10pm

I have noticed that my slings are starting to stay around 25 to 30 inches, (roughly 2/3m) but the stones I an throwing are getting larger.  I throw clay glandes which are lighter than stone so that may have something to do with it.  I am now throwing a gland about half way between a golf ball and a tennis ball, I used to throw slightly smaller than a golf ball.  My distances are about the same as yours, I prefer a biconal, it seems to go slightly farther if I get a good spiral.  I use the same size clump of mud for either a sphere or a biconal.  Bill

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 1:20am

I actually am finding that larger stones about golf ball size to tennis ball size are more accurate, but golf ball to shooter marble size are great for distance.  I think it has a lot to do with the pouch size and the width of the braid, if the braided cords are narrow and not really long it releases a smaller rock smoothly and the weight of the smaller rock can bring the cords taught when rotating easily.  If the braid is thicker and stiffer you need a larger rock to bring the cords taught and the rock won't tug free as easily if it doesn't have the weight.  I use a 6 strand flat braid now, I find the 6 strand round releases to quick and the 3 strand flat is just right, I use a woven split pouch and braid it out of jute.  My slings for accuracy are 24in. and I made a 36in. one recently for distance throwing, it gets about a 1/5th. or so more distance but I have to go around at least 3 times to get it up to full speed, more if I use a rock smaller than a golf ball.'
  I think the reason you have switched to smaller stones is shorter slings.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 1:31am

There's a HUGE difference in the weight of a stones varying from golf to tennis ball size. Mass is proportional to volume which varies as the cube of the diameter, ie. double the size and you get 8 times the weight.

To get reasonably consistent performance your stones need to weigh approximately the same. Somewhere around 3 oz. seems the best allround for me but it also varies on the slinging style. With underarm I can tolerate a heavier stone. Overarm (such as Fig.8) require a slightly lighter stone because of the very rapid acceleration which tends to cause shoulder and elbow injury if the stone is too heavy.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 4:23am

LukeWebb wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 1:20am:

I think the reason you have switched to smaller stones is shorter slings.

Yea, I would agree. For me with a 30 inch sling I find smaller stones are nice but larger ones are almost impossible. With 35-37 inch sling larger stones are not a problem at all. For pure accuracy I would take a fairly spherical river stone slightly larger then a golf ball.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:31pm

I used to throw just about anything and sometimes I still do, but now my favorite ammo is bantam egg size weighing 3 to 4 ounces. Best speed, accuracy and just feels right Wink

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 6:52pm

i've gone from large and dense, to small and light. to me it depends on the type of rock. back in PA there are these smoothed river rock- i think maybe shale, and some granite or chert once in a while, that i like to throw if they are egg sized or small like quail eggs. with the stones in CA i go with medium sized rocks. nto sure what they are, but its abundant. it's just not dense enough to go anywhere though.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 4:46am

In the beginning I slung what I found  Wink
For distance I take rocks between 100-150g and a longer sling with sidearm or underarm technique.
With short slings and greek style I changed from heavier to lighter stones at about 50-100g. This because of the fast acceleration. I started to get a tennis elbow. I once used very light stones (50g and lighter) but found out that I can`t put enough power into the stone. It`s also not very accurate.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 7:56am

If anything I probably throw slightly heavier missiles now than I started with, but these are all on the light side. 50-60g is the top end of what I prefer to sling.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:20am

I use a fairly heavy sling so I prefer lighter stones.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)