Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
:jmplsnt Peruvian Shepherd's Sling (Read 12036 times)
Dutchy
Ex Member

Slinging Rocks!

Re: :jmplsnt Peruvian Shepherd's Sling
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:17pm

Looking great and i'm also looking forward to see the tutorial since I have some spare sisal robe

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:41pm

I was waiting for the wiki to come back before posting on here, but I'm impatient.
Here's the link to the original Peruvian sling tutorial on the slinging.org/wiki in case it comes back up: http://slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_making_Slings_%28Modern_and_...

At the time I'm writing this post the wiki isn't working, so here's what you need to do without the full tutorial:
  • Learn the 4 strand round braid with core that is listed under Other Websites on the home page.
  • Teach yourself how to use this technique with 8 separate strands.
  • Teach yourself how to use this technique with 16 separate strands. It should look similar to this video on whip making. This is the simplest South American sling braid to me. Varying how many strands you weave (under and over 1 strand, under and over 2 strands, etc.) will change the pattern of the braid.
  • Measure out 9 strands of cord 6 or 7 times longer than you would like your finished sling to be.
  • Measure out several strands of cord 3 times as long as you'd like your sling to be. This will form the core of your sling. The number of core strands and diameter of the core is up to you.
  • Make an 8 strand round braid using the technique above in the middle of your cords. Do not braid the core and keep one of the 6-7x length strands separate.
  • Join the ends of the fingerloop together and continue braiding your sling using a 16 strand braid. As before, do not braid the core strands.
  • To begin making the pouch, separate the cords or your sling evenly into two bundles.
  • Take the 6-7x length strand of cord that you saved earlier and fine the middle of it. Tie the middle of the strand to the sling about 1 centimeter from the split you made in the previous step, and whip the strand around the sling until you reach the split made in the previous step. You may use Standard Whipping (Method 2), or the slightly easier West Country Whipping. If you use Standard Whipping, do not cut the ends of the whipping off, but continue pulling in step 5 until both strands are on the same side of the whipping and tie an overhand knot to prevent it from unraveling.
  • Take 1 strand from your whipping and add it to the nearest bundle of cord, but be sure to remember which bundle it is.
  • With the other strand from your whipping begin weaving your pouch the same way as this tutorial for a looped warp pouch. You should first weave 2 bundles and then 4 bundles, not 6 bundles like in the pictures for that tutorial, however.
  • When you begin weaving the split weave on the side where you did not add the cord from your whipping. You should be weaving 4 bundles on each side of the slit for a total of 8 bundles in the middle of the pouch. Otherwise follow the instructions from the Looped Warp Pouch Tutorial.
  • To weave the other side of the split  find the unused cord from your whipping and weave 4 bundles. Follow the instructions from the Looped Warp Pouch Tutorial to rejoin the 2 sides of the split and finish weaving the pouch.
  • Separate out the the 2 ends of the string you used for whipping and weaving, the strands you used to braid your sling's retention cord, and your sling's core strands.
  • Begin braiding the release cord with the 16 strand braid as before, but add the 2 ends of the cord you used for whipping into the core of your sling. Remember which cords the are, however. This is necessary to keep the pouch from unwinding.
  • To taper the release cord begin cutting strands out of the core of your sling. Do not cut the strands you wove and whipped with.
  • At the end of your sling you should have 16 braided strands and the 2 ends of the weaving/whipping strand. If you also have some or all of the core strands that's fine. Tie an overhand or figure-8 knot to finish he sling and trim off any excess cord.
  • If you'd like to go back and add whipping to the other side of the pouch at this stage for symmetry that's fine. Alternately you may whip over the entire sling beginning at the fingerloop using Standard Whipping, follow my instructions for the pouch, and then continue whipping over the release cord. The latter method is used on the slinging.org/wiki tutorial.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2011 at 5:00pm by Masiakasaurus »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 9:28am

Any ideas of how o keep track of the alignment of the strings when making a 8 strand round braid(as showed in the slinging wikia).  Shocked

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 10:45am

That's a beautiful sling.  I can't wait for your tutorial

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 11:49am

Dilyan Ganev wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 9:28am:
Any ideas of how o keep track of the alignment of the strings when making a 8 strand round braid(as showed in the slinging wikia).  Shocked

Once you get started with braiding it, the 8 strand braid isn't hard to keep up with. A maru dai might help you out, though.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #20 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 3:19pm

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqYMC1SQYJQ

i used a cd with notches cut into it.

BTW, i seem to have trouble with the 12 strand braid for the whip. whenever ido it al the "braid" aka the pattern parts ends up on the front while in the back all i have is a few crisscrossed strands. when i do this with a 6 or strand braid it comes out like a trapezoid. any ideas why this is happening?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #21 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 12:16am

xxkid123 wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 3:19pm:
or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqYMC1SQYJQ

i used a cd with notches cut into it.

BTW, i seem to have trouble with the 12 strand braid for the whip. whenever ido it al the "braid" aka the pattern parts ends up on the front while in the back all i have is a few crisscrossed strands. when i do this with a 6 or strand braid it comes out like a trapezoid. any ideas why this is happening?

I'm not sure what your problem is with the 12-strand braid, but if you followed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmLq9Wv1Tk&NR=1&feature=fvwp, you might try bringing each strand up over three strands instead of only two. This is the more common way to make a 12-strand braid, and the pattern should come out symmetrical. The braid in the video is a fine braid, but it may not be what you are wanting to make.

For 6-strand braids, on each side you have the option of coming over two or over one. If you come over one on both sides, or over two on both sides, the braid will have the trapezoid shape. If you come over one on one side and over two on the other, you will have a braid with an elliptical cross section. Either way, if you have a round core, the braids can be made to come out round.

Hopefully this might be of some help to you.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:03pm

jmplsnt wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 4:57pm:
Hello All:

I wrapped up this braiding project last night.  This is the Peruvian featured in my upcoming tutorial, which is about 60% written.  All the pictures for said tutorial are also obviously completed.  I'll need another few weeks for completing the text and then I'll post it here and elsewhere.

Please let me know what you think about my sling.  And forgive the awful photography; these were taken under stupid fluorescent lights with a cell phone.

clickable thumbnails:

thanks for looking

I have not been able to find this tutorial and it is breaking my heart. Tongue

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:05pm

Damn lol, when I saw that gorgeous sling on the first page I thought there was a nice tutorial incoming for it, then I saw it was 2010.

A lot of the old pages on this forum have been sent to oblivion, I don't know much about it though you will have to ask someone who has been here longer.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #24 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:14pm

Dang haha. That is the type of sling I have been trying to learn to make since I joined lol

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:16pm

The original website (which is where this tutorial and a lot of other stuff was stored) got lost due to some technical problem and has been out of action since about 2013/2014 if I remember correctly. Oxnate is working on recreating the website but I'm actually not sure how much he's going to be able to recover and when. Some stuff is accessible on the Wayback machine but I can't see this tutorial on there.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121015121737/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=ad...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #26 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:23pm

Dang, I looked through, and yeah, it doesn't seem to be there. Hopefully someone feels friendly enough to share a new tutorial for it or something similar. The incendiary ammo tutorial was cool too haha

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #27 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:36pm

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #28 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 4:14pm

A couple of weeks ago, David Morningstar was kind enough to start this thread
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1613246937
with a video in Spanish that goes over the whole thing.  The girl uses llama yarn, but you can use anything.  I've made 3 so far with this method.  Using the same concept, you can also do it with a 3 strand setup instead of 4 for easier braiding.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)