Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
:jmplsnt Peruvian Shepherd's Sling (Read 12090 times)
jmplsnt
Tiro

Muscoskeletal-propul
sed lithic indirect fire!

Ozark Mountains, CSA
:jmplsnt Peruvian Shepherd's Sling
Sep 9th, 2010 at 4:57pm

Hello All:

I wrapped up this braiding project last night.  This is the Peruvian featured in my upcoming tutorial, which is about 60% written.  All the pictures for said tutorial are also obviously completed.  I'll need another few weeks for completing the text and then I'll post it here and elsewhere.

Please let me know what you think about my sling.  And forgive the awful photography; these were taken under stupid fluorescent lights with a cell phone.

clickable thumbnails:

thanks for looking

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: :jmplsnt Peruvian Shepherd's Sling
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 6:23pm

Looks great! I'll take two in earth tones please.  Cheesy

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Cant wait to see how u did that   I will lie in bed all day [ i work at night ] not being able to sleep till i know how u did this  Grin Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

jmplsnt
Tiro

Muscoskeletal-propul

Ozark Mountains, CSA
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 6:46pm

Morphy:  they do look very good in earth tones.  I used these colours as I didn't have time to dye anything before I left for work (I'm a boat captain) and also I needed colours that would oppose each other for the camera to take clear pics.  When braided in an earth tone these slings look a lot like a venomous snake, coiled and ready to strike.  There are also some other patterns (I think about eight) that I'll show you that are worked exactly the same way but by changing the position of the colors at the beginning you achieve all sorts of different effects.  There are a few of these that work well with yellows, black, reds, and oranges and bring to mind stinging insects like hornets, wasps, and spiders.  (Yes, I know spiders are arachnids and not insects).

Slingingrat:  you'll know soon enough.  Like I said in the jacksshed forum I'm going to present this to the slinging world in excruciating detail with lots of pictures, so everyone who wants one can make them to their own specs.  I am also in the process of developing a solid pouch (better than the one I showed in my introductory post when I joined) for the firing of glandes, hex nuts, and whatever doesn't work with the split socket.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 3:20pm

Beautiful work, jmplsnt.  I'm looking very forward to the tutorial.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 11:52pm

That's a really great looking sling, jmplsnt. I expect your tutorial will be very good as well.

That bucket reminds me of my first homemade braiding table.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 6:13pm

I have always wanted to make a sling like this, and if your tutorial is half as good as your sling, it will be a cake walk.  I eagerly await the tutorial, thanks for sharing!

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:07am

Ditto Eoraptor; I can't wait to see it!

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

jmplsnt
Tiro

Muscoskeletal-propul

Ozark Mountains, CSA
Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 5:05am

I am very pleased (not to mention relieved) that I have wrapped up the writing of the tutorial.  I still have to draw out the braiding diagrams and a page of patterns (I think I'll be able to give you at least eight different effects you can achieve with this single easy braid).  As I told you earlier the pictures have already been taken but I must wait until I go home from the sea as I cannot upload this many pictures without eating a lot of bandwidth.  Our office is pretty good about letting us use the internet and I don't want to upset them or ruin it for everyone else; that old biting the hand that feeds you thing, you know.

I will keep you posted when I finally submit this absolute beast of a tutorial.  I promise anyone will be able to replicate the sling in the pictures with little difficulty.

Thanks for your patience during this project.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:40pm

G'day slingers Smiley

ummm,

Its been a long time between posts for me, but there has been a tutorial on Andean split pouch slings in the wiki for awhile now. In fact its where I first learnt how to make one of these beautiful slings.

check it out at:

http://slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_making_Slings_%28Modern_and_...

(apologies if it has already been noted)

kava.

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:09pm

_kava_ wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:40pm:
G'day slingers Smiley

ummm,

Its been a long time between posts for me, but there has been a tutorial on Andean split pouch slings in the wiki for awhile now. In fact its where I first learnt how to make one of these beautiful slings.

check it out at:

http://slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_making_Slings_%28Modern_and_...

(apologies if it has already been noted)

kava.

yes, but the braiding is what get's me on jmsplsnt's tutorial is the braid, which is all i care about.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:33pm

_kava_ wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:40pm:
G'day slingers Smiley

ummm,

Its been a long time between posts for me, ... check it out at:
kava.

I'm hoping for Andean style braid with the braid out of hand without core .... the reference provided is a style of braid, over an anchored core, similar to whip making. ...If not at least we'll have access to some new patterns.

#180/250

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 1:11am

Quote:
I'm hoping for Andean style braid with the braid out of hand without core

Andean/Tibetan braiding is fun (just takes a while) so, here ya go:

basic spiral:

http://www.jeanleader.co.uk/othercrafts/peruvianbraid.html

26 strand braidwith great design:

http://backstrapweaving.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/backstrap-weaving-crafting-on-t...

Wink

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

jmplsnt
Tiro

Muscoskeletal-propul

Ozark Mountains, CSA
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 1:43am

Hello Steven,

You are correct, there is no core with my braids and they are quite simple.  I'm due off here in the next few days and I will make every effort to get this thing posted quickly upon my getting home.

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 8:30am

WOW...I'd love to see a tutorial on peruvian slings  Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)