Send Topic Print
rawhide (Read 3031 times)
Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
rawhide
Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:43pm

Is rawhide any good for making slings? Because I might make some rawhide if I get a moose this year, and have my own hide to make lots o slings; is it any good or am I better off with tanned leather?

IP Logged

colejack3
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

tomball texas
Re: rawhide
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:45pm

you could brain tan or egg tan the hide. I think that rawhide would be too stiff

Do not judge your neighbor  until you have walk two moons in his moccasins - cheyenne&&&&&&

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 4:52pm

stick with tanned leather, little, and save the rawhide for hafting and bindings. rawhide has the same properties as sinew in that, when soaked, it becomes pliable and shrinks when it drys, but it's pretty stiff once it does.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:00pm

hmm im thinking either urine tan or brain tan, what should i choose? Huh

IP Logged

colejack3
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

tomball texas
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:21pm

I have tanned hides with acorn tannins and brains and lemme tell you. For me the acorn tanning was alot less gross Grin

Do not judge your neighbor  until you have walk two moons in his moccasins - cheyenne&&&&&&

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:52pm

acorn tan? there seems to be a lot of ways to tan hides

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:02pm

In times gone by lariats were made of rawhide. Some whips are currently made of rawhide ...
If rawhide will work in those instances it should work for slings.

Excerpt from book by Dan Beard
How the Rawhide Lariat is Made.

The raw hide is first cut into strips as long as the hide will allow. The hide is half- tanned without removing the hair. The strips are next soaked in water and stretched over a block, after which they are neatly braided into a rope. During the latter process they are care- fully pulled as tight as possible. When this is done the rope is buried in the ground and al- lowed to remain in the earth two weeks to soften, after which it is dug up and again stretched over a block by means of heavy weights. After the hair has been sand- papered off, the rope thoroughly oiled or greased with mutton tallow and properly noosed, it is ready for use.

The lariats are made either forty or fifty feet long, ac- cording to the preference of the maker. Mr. Charles Lummis says the standard lariat is forty feet in length, but from other sources I learn that there are two standards, one of fifty and one of forty feet. The lariats vary also in thickness from three-eighths of an inch to half an inch. It takes a hardy, tough man to wield one of such dimensions. A rope twenty or thirty feet long is long enough for any boy to handle.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 5:11pm

Actually, I saw a pic of a rawhide sling on here somewhere... it was a while back but it was either on here or paleoplanet, I think it might have been called an inuit sling but I'm not sure.  It was definitely rawhide though as I remember asking in surprise if it was really made of rawhide and it was supposed to work good.  The one thing you would have to do though is use a release tab or bead and a leather or other softer finger loop as the rawhide would really chafe your fingers.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 6:32pm

moose hide when tanned is too thick for slings about 1/4 inch thick, i probably wont use the hide

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Moose hide makes great quivers though.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)