Send Topic Print
Demotion? (Read 13557 times)
wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Re: Demotion?
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2010 at 2:12pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 12:03pm:
The status change post numbers are arbitrary numbers that were lowered a few years ago. I've just returned them to their original values Smiley

That hardly seems relevant. We (probably) havn't read the configuration manual for YaBB.

It just all feels rather like there is some messing around going on for no clear reason, which is not what we are used to on this forum.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2010 at 2:31pm

It would have been a lot less of a nuisance if it had clearly been announced in time somewhere.

And/or been agreed to by other god members, at least by the other moderators, which I dare to assume it hasn't. That is what I meant by "monotheism" in the deleted thread.

So we had too many god members? I don't see a problem in that. For me it just speaks for a vivid and valuable exchange of ideas here. But maybe I'm wrong.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2010 at 11:40pm

Fundibularius wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 2:31pm:
... in the deleted thread. ...

What deleted thread I see no evidence of there having been a thread?

Steven says: ''

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #18 - May 24th, 2010 at 5:27am

I thought there had been one. Maybe I was dreaming.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - May 24th, 2010 at 6:51am

oddly we had exactly the opposite argument when the post number was reduced a while ago.

Given that it's an arbitrary number and both 750 & 1000 posts are fairly easy to achieve, I just don't see what the furore is about .
1000 posts just has a better ring to it. It also means that the member has probably been around for a year or 2 and has a bit more experience.

Personally I'd prefer to up the limit to 2500. But that really would take some doing, and possibly might actually justify the temper tantrums.

And if you're wondering why It's only been changed now, it's because I only found that section of the forum controls a couple of weeks ago Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #20 - May 24th, 2010 at 7:44am

It has little to do with numbers and a great deal to do with perceived Administrator arrogance.
Grin
You got to work to be  a god - ... Grin

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #21 - May 24th, 2010 at 8:14am

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 24th, 2010 at 6:51am:
Given that it's an arbitrary number and both 750 & 1000 posts are fairly easy to achieve.

I doubt it. It also depends a lot on the circumstances of one's life outside slinging.org.

I just don't see what the furore is about

Take another look. Look closely.

1000 posts just has a better ring to it.

Now who else agrees to that? Who?

It also means that the member has probably been around for a year or 2 and has a bit more experience.  

Around in terms of posting. It says nothing about his/her slinging abilities in theory and practice. Some may have very few posts and easily outsling all others.

If you want some really exclusive posting Olympus, then why not introduce one more category like "super-god" or "Member of the Order of the Golden Pouch", beginning with 5000, where the chosen few mega-posters can gaze down on the dumb crowd?

This forum, like most communities of humans, lives from the contribution of everyone interested, not only from some kind of artificially created nobility.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #22 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 9:46am

who cares?  Tongue

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 12:21pm

lol you'd be surprised Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 5:57pm

When I first joined, I assumed it was set at 1000. It just seems like a nice number. 103.Just because somebody is a Senior Member instead of a God Member doesn't mean they're not as good.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:21pm

I agree with Paleoarts. Ooops, is that a me-to?

So the number gets raised. A serious poster will reach the plateau anyhow. Might take a little time, but he'll get there.

Would anybody care to enumerate the special benefits that accrue to God-membership so that I could grasp the importance of same? Better pay, more vacation, use of a company car? Brownie points don't count.

Thom

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 1:44pm

I don't see what the fuss is.  It doesn't matter.  No privileges go along with being a god, other than you get to call yourself a god, which is, admittedly, really cool.  But I digress, it doesn't matter.  Stop squabbling.  Nobody cares what your status is.  I don't judge people by their statuses (sounds like a bumper sticker), and if you do, then you are a fool who is missing out on a  lot of awesome-ness from people with low statuses.

Fundibularius wrote on May 24th, 2010 at 8:14am:
why not introduce one more category like "super-god" or "Member of the Order of the Golden Pouch", beginning with 5000, where the chosen few mega-posters can gaze down on the dumb crowd?

Grin  Actually, that's kinda amazing.  I vote for "Member of the Order of the Golden Pouch".  I would laugh if the first one to 5000 got promoted, even temporarily.  That would be sooooo funny.... you could even mail them a gold-colored pouch!  Grin 

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 6:34am

lol - i'm the only plus 5000.

very few members hang around lomg enough to make 1000 posts.
so they deserve some recognition. and to my mind 1000 is a better landmark number than 750 Smiley

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 12:33am

its only a silly title
picture > title  Cool

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

colejack3
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

tomball texas
Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:24pm

I know seriously theres no point in arguing over such a little thing. Seriously.....

Do not judge your neighbor  until you have walk two moons in his moccasins - cheyenne&&&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)