Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two interesting articles related to slings (Read 2676 times)
akinakes
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Two interesting articles related to slings
May 18th, 2010 at 6:25am

Hi,

I haven't seen these two studies mentioned anywhere on this site, but I may be mistaking as there is a huge volume of info posted and I didn't managed to go trough all of it yet.

Nevertheless here you have the info:

S. J. Greep, Lead Sling-Shot from Windridge farm, St Albans and the Use of the Sling by the Roman Army in Britain, in Britannia, vol. 18, 1987, pp. 183-200. The article can be also found on Jstor (for those of you who have acces) http://www.jstor.org/stable/526445

R. F. Heizer and I. W. Johnson, A Prehistoric Sling from Loveloch Cave, Nevada, in American Antiquity, vol. 18, no. 2 (Oct 1952), pp. 139-147. Jstor link http://www.jstor.org/stable/276537

I hope you will find them interesting and useful and that I haven't reposted information that was already available.

Cheers!

IP Logged

akinakes
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Two interesting articles related to slings
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2010 at 7:11am

Yep. Just seen them both in the textual resources area.  Smiley
Sorry but I started looking trough the forum discussions first and got lost in between so many posts.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2010 at 7:32am

akinakes wrote on May 18th, 2010 at 7:11am:
Yep. Just seen them both in the textual resources area.  Smiley
Sorry but I started looking trough the forum discussions first and got lost in between so many posts.

It's pretty rare to dig up a reference that isn't here already. But JSTOR has made them  much more easily available on-line than they used to be, at least to those of us lucky enough to have JSTOR access.

Those two references are classics.

IP Logged

akinakes
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2010 at 8:12am

Yeah. These two references are indeed classic. I was surprised not to find them, only to realize that it was me not looking where I should. I will take time to go also trough all of the forum discussions, before starting to make new contributions to these website. But it looks to me there aren't to many topics that haven't been covered.  Smiley Quite happy to see so many good posts.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Don't worry, akinakes, I think it is good to mention "older" articles once in a while. Very few people can read all posts on this forum.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)