Rifled spin (Read 22289 times)
Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Rifled spin
May 16th, 2010 at 10:03am

Iv been looking around on here, and I remember some people talking about it, but I can't find anything about how to throw a good stone/glande with a rifled spin. Does anyone know how or know of any articles that they could direct me to?

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Rifled spin
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2010 at 10:52am

i think it was to use an overhand throw, like apache or figure eight.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2010 at 11:06am

I can't promise you that this will work for you, but I get a perfect spiral almost every time I sling a rock now.  First, it's easiest with an oval shaped projectile.  Lay it across the pouch, perpendicular to it.  As you follow through bring your arm around like Snidley Whiplash sweeping his cape in front of his face. Nya aa aa!  That's it.  Give it a try; you might be surprised.  Of course this method works only with overhand throws.  I use it with Byzantine and Helicopter styles.  BTW, your sling came yesterday and I tried it this morning.  It worked great.  I'll get a picture up later today.  Thanks.

Snidley.jpg (22 KB | )
Snidley.jpg

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2010 at 11:10am

AH, Snidely, my mentor and hero

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2010 at 11:22am

I'm not sure about the movie they released though,  not terrible but wierd... Huh  I'm more of a bullwinkle man myself...right rocky??

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2010 at 11:30am

Six foot metal munching moon mice!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - May 16th, 2010 at 11:47am

You need to have a wide grip (retention cord on middle finger at least) so the cords are well separated. This will get the pouch to follow the orientation of the hand.

The throw needs to have the cords pretty much in line with the forearm. The helicopter throw does not do this; the cords are horizontal while the forearm is vertical.

Vertical Greek and Figure-8 are my favorite rifle spin throws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjXXnDSB4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2atj_FM0AjA

This shows why the helicopter doesnt launch with a consistent pouch angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-EHvtjhAY

If you dont get the pouch angle right, this is what can happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTO1VYoMXw

Although you can get lucky too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvidIcGUXkQ

I havent directly observed this, but I'm pretty sure any of the sidearm throws will rifle reliably as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdOIn5j2jR4

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2010 at 5:42pm

As David has stated, a wide grip is neccessary for reliable rifle spin.  The orientation of the hand on release on an overhand throw decides whether you get backspin of rifle spin.  If you palm faces forward on release, you will get a rifle spin.  If the hand is facing toward your head then you will get backspin.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2010 at 9:15pm

thanks  Cheesy

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2010 at 12:03am

Now you've got me wondering.  I've been using mostly Byzantine style and only occasionally Helicopter.  I could be mistaken.  I'll check it out tomorrow.

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2010 at 12:24am

I get a good rifled spin from sidearm and overhand releases.  I read and watched David's videos very carefully to see what he was talking about with the chords kept in line with the forearm and enough distance between them to keep them straight.  That was a surprise on the Deadliest Warrior Aztec sling.  He was using stones perfectly shaped to rifle them out and beat the atlatl on distance, but he either didnt know how to or didnt think he needed it at the shorter ranges.  He did hit a test skull dead center, but with the fat part of the glande across the bridge of the nose.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - May 17th, 2010 at 6:09am

A good way to test if you are rifling well is to throw a tennis ball. Look for a slight fade to the left on the downward part of the trajectory and a sharp jump to the right on the first bounce.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - May 17th, 2010 at 7:00am

sidearm.

very easy way to adjust width of your grip:

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - May 17th, 2010 at 10:24am

Rat Man wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 12:03am:
Now you've got me wondering.  I've been using mostly Byzantine style and only occasionally Helicopter.  I could be mistaken.  I'll check it out tomorrow.

OK, as best I could, while walking my rambunctious beasts through semi-populated areas, I checked it out.  Many times DM  has corrected something I've written here off of the top of my head which may have been essentially correct but lacking in some detail or exactness.  In that he's always had the good info in the past, this is much appreciated.  He's kept me honest and the site accurate.  It would be much easier for me if this were such a situation; I could just let it go with a "Thanks again, David."   
    This morning, however, I was able to sling as many perfect spirals in a row that I wanted to using Helicopter Style.  I was very careful to not let my Helicopter accidentally morph into some sort of Helicopter/Sidearmed hybrid.  I kept the plane of my rotation horizontal.  Both Brian Grubbs and DM are almost always generally correct with their posts.  I don't know whether it's a quirk in my style, such as turning my hand over more on the release for example, something to do with sling type, or something else entirely,  but I'll stand my my initial statement.  When I release as I suggested above, per Snidley,  I get a perfect rifled spin on my projectile from even the Helicopter Style.   
    I will, weather permitting, try later today or as soon as possible to eliminate variables and come up with a viable answer as to why this is so.  More experimentation is needed for sure.  If someone wants to help out with this please try it... it's just a matter of finishing your follow through with your palm pointed down and your elbow in front of your face.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - May 17th, 2010 at 11:44am

bear in mind that ANY throw with a sling will impart spin to a missile.
it's the nature of the beast.

Best thing to demonstrate this with are golfballs.
They can be made to curve in almost any direction. different throws impart different spin, but they all impart spin.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)