Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some questions on apache leather pouches (Read 1458 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Some questions on apache leather pouches
May 2nd, 2010 at 1:46am

Hey, I have made 2 apache slings with leather pouches but am a little shaky on some of the details.  The tutorial for it on here is very good but I believe it neglects to mention the things I need to know. 
What I need to know is how to make one using leather lacing rather than sinew or shoemakers thread  to sew the pouch on.  I see plenty made this way on here, and in the tutorial I read that you should always sew it on, not punch holes.  Well, I made a bone needle and tried sewing some leather with it tonight as a test and I found that the stitching pulls out extraordinarily easy, whereas it didn't with my other punched hole sling...so should I punch holes or sew?  I also was wondering how you finish off with the loose ends of the lacing once you are done sewing it on?  I could invent a way, I just would like to know the apache method, or the one that works good for you.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Some questions on apache leather pouches
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2010 at 7:53am

Guess you will have to invent a way Wink 
I have never used leather lace, just waxed flax or hemp leftovers from the sling braiding.  I always finish of by wrapping the end twice around the last stitch, tighten carefully, and cut.  Except from my first sad attempt I always punch the holes first.  I attach one thread at each side and sew simultaneously to get it as even as possibly
In my picture the oldest is to the left, to the right is my newest attempts. 
This is how I have invented and done it and it has no claim of Apache authenticity Smiley.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:29pm

this is a duct tape apache style that i use as my EDC and its my favorit, so much so that i just had to put some new tape on it due to wear and tear....i like this style of sling so much that i plan to make a leather and hemp one in the near future.......it will most likely end up being sent to whom ever i get in the  S.I.T.H. event. Wink

147.JPG (327 KB | )
147.JPG

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2010 at 5:55pm

If you draw me, you'll either get a leather and sisil, or a sisil and jute.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)