Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
all of my questions bunched up (Read 4027 times)
picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
all of my questions bunched up
May 1st, 2010 at 1:17pm

so hiya, Ima new to the forum. I've been slinging for about a year now, learning from the site. However, I had some questions. First, I noticed an asymmetrical sling pouch on the medical tape sling tutrial. How does it work? Is the long end or the short end connected to the release cord? Are there any pictures of a rock in a assymetrical pouch?

Secondly, I hae problems with long slings. I'm short ( 5' 4") and hoping puberty's gunna make me taller. I normally use a 24 inch sling as my norm, 20 as short, and 30 inches as long. Howeer, There are people on the forum talkin about 50 inch slings and super long slings. I whipped myself up a 42 inch sling, and now I hit myself in the face when I helicopter. Any suggetions?

Thanks for your replies

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: all of my questions bunched up
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2010 at 1:46pm

Welcome.  Asymmetric pouch, both ways have been done, but thanx to Rat Man I`ll suggest letting the ammo fly off from the thinner end.
You don`t need to use a super long sling.  At just under 6 foot I prefer 27" but can use up to 40" comfortably.  That length works best for me with the fabled fabled figure8 style.  Longer than this is great for others, but not for all of us.  I can do it, but prefer not to helicopter it, but do a swing around once and let go style.

If you still want to do it I suggest you practice a lot, and maybe find out about mrboss`s pirouette style Wink
timann

IP Logged

picklepie159
Descens

Destroying Million year
old rocks with string

South Park, Colorado
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2010 at 1:51pm

I did try mrboss's piroette style. It was going well for three or four shots and then I released too late and punched a hole in the tile things on my house. Embarrassed

I am not the potter, not the potter's wheel, but the potter's clay; is not the value of the shape attained as dependent upon the intrinsic worth of the clay as upon the wheel and the Master's skill?&&- Stephen King, The Stand

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2010 at 2:02pm

When learning that style you must be willing to pay a price Wink
I have attempted it myself but have never, to tell the truth,  dared to release at all Sad
timann

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2010 at 2:26pm

Just a reminder, don't use pirouette style around anyone or anything you don't intend to destroy.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2010 at 3:34pm

Hi and welcome, picklepie;
   I mostly sling with asymmetrical slings; woven and medical tape pouch.  Usually you want the taper going toward the release end of your sling.  I get a lot of backspin with my asymmetrical slings, which is desirable.  I find that if I place an oval shaped projectile, usually a stone, perpendicular to the pouch I'll get a good back spin on my overhand shots.  If I place it in line with the pouch my projectile tumbles.
   My advice about sling length is for you to stay with the lengths that you're comfortable with.  If a short sling feels natural to you than that's what you should use.  There is no advantage in using a sling that is too long for you.  I've experimented with very long slings and though they work, they're cumbersome and slow. 
    I know my physical limitations and haven't attempted mrboss's style.  I'd probably either kill myself or someone else.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2010 at 4:41pm

same here, at just under 5 feet, i like 25-26 inches, and with a 36 inch sling i have to worry more about my self then others.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2010 at 6:21pm

Im kinda wondering here, im also 5' 4'' but then i almost only use a 45 inch sling i recently made, its the only thing that really feels like a natural extension of my arm. anything else shorter doesn't feel right to me.

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2010 at 12:28pm

picklepie159 wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 1:51pm:
I did try mrboss's piroette style. It was going well for three or four shots and then I released too late and punched a hole in the tile things on my house. Embarrassed

In general, you want to sling far away (300 m minimum) from anything breakable and anyone. Particularly anyone.

IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

All over SouthCentral Alaska
Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2010 at 12:45pm

Mr. Boss wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 2:26pm:
Just a reminder, don't use pirouette style around anyone or anything you don't intend to destroy.

This made me laugh, which I needed.  Smiley

If you can't find 'em grind 'em!
wolf197  
IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:42pm

at 5'8 i also prefer a shorter sling, somewhere around 22" to 26".......i get the same distance or better with my short sling as opposed to my longer slings......40" and up. and i think its because i can whip it with more force than the longer ones.....plus the shorter ones are more accurate when targer slinging....in relative way Wink

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick)