Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling rotation? (Read 10238 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Sling rotation?
Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:50pm

I had an idea, not sure how well it would work though, but I'll suggest it nonetheless.
What if we started a "sling rotation" thing, where someone (or a few people) send some one a sling. Then the person uses it for a while, and either sends it to the next person, or if they want to keep it, they have to send out two slings to other people. With the slings we could have a piece of paper, to record thoughts and maybe stuff like ISAC scores. How does that sound? Any suggestions or reasons why it won't work that I missed?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Sling rotation?
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 5:34am

Similar things have been done before and they worked, where members merely exchanged slings. My only comment is that consider exchanges as gifts with no expectation of a return. That way you won't be disappointed if the return is not quite what you hoped for or doesn't eventuate. Be aware that slings may vary a lot in workmanship and value.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 8:40am

I would sign up for a sling rotation. Most of the slings in my possesion are from other members hands. I love using slings made by other members.

I will get the ball rolling, Et Cetera PM your address and I will send a PJ for you to play with.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 11:57am

Aussie wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 5:34am:
My only comment is that consider exchanges as gifts with no expectation of a return. That way you won't be disappointed if the return is not quite what you hoped for or doesn't eventuate.

Good point.
Also, would weight be a problem?

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 12:14pm

Et Cetera wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 11:57am:
Aussie wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 5:34am:
My only comment is that consider exchanges as gifts with no expectation of a return. That way you won't be disappointed if the return is not quite what you hoped for or doesn't eventuate.

Good point.
Also, would weight be a problem?

You would have to not expect much in return for sending out your sling. The way I see it it's more about the fun of playing with other slings then a straight up trade.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 12:53pm

i have a 36" sling, crossed Rockman. i'm supposed to trade it to Mardonius, but he hasn't been on for nearly 4 months. if he still isn't on by a little while ill ship it off

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 4:17pm

ilovepancakes wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 8:40am:
I will get the ball rolling, Et Cetera PM your address and I will send a PJ for you to play with.

Ok, I'll just clear this with my parents firstest.  Smiley

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 6:40pm

Et Cetera wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 4:17pm:
ilovepancakes wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 8:40am:

Ok, I'll just clear this with my parents firstest.  Smiley

If it makes them feel better about it the return address will be my parents house. Grin

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:09pm

if this actually works, how about a second rotation working basically....

you get the sling, you like it, you keep it and replace it with a better or similar one.  better and similar however you deem it. if you don't like it, or can't "pay" for it, send it on. you take the risk of never getting anything good or perfect (we all have different length preferences, pouch styles, etc), or getting the perfect sling.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 7:04pm

xxkid123 wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:09pm:

you get the sling, you like it, you keep it and replace it with a better or similar one.  better and similar however you deem it. if you don't like it, or can't "pay" for it, send it on. you take the risk of never getting anything good or perfect (we all have different length preferences, pouch styles, etc), or getting the perfect sling.  

A sling rotation isn't about getting what you put in to it kid. I for one would send out a PJ with my additions to the original model. It's about seeing and playing with other peoples work.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 5:08pm

ilovepancakes wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 7:04pm:
xxkid123 wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:09pm:

you get the sling, you like it, you keep it and replace it with a better or similar one.  better and similar however you deem it. if you don't like it, or can't "pay" for it, send it on. you take the risk of never getting anything good or perfect (we all have different length preferences, pouch styles, etc), or getting the perfect sling.  

A sling rotation isn't about getting what you put in to it kid. I for one would send out a PJ with my additions to the original model. It's about seeing and playing with other peoples work.

i know, in fact, the best fun is making the sling. i'm saying that this could be an ongoing "trade" deal

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 5:06pm

I would be up for this but how do u know who to send it to next? Do u just look here to see who needs one sent or is looking to send one on to the next guy? We can worry about this latter im in if some one wants to pm me an address i will get a sling in the mail to them. Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 12:22pm

we've done something like this over on paleoplanet. it was the A.I.T.H. (atlatl in the hat). we could do the same thing here, S.I.T.H. (sling in the hat)anyone interested would submit their name to the moderater (i'll volunteer) before a predetermined date. i wolud then write those names on slips of paper and do a random drawing pairing them up and posting the results of who is paired with who. for instance, aztec sends to curious aardvark, curious aardvark sends to xxxkid123, xxxkid123 sends to jax, and so on. all i have to do is make sure that the pairs don't send to each other. we set a completion/shipping date, usually about a month or two, and when you get your new sling you post a pic, tell who it's from, and what you like about it. we had a lot of fun with this over on PP and everyone really put a lot of effort into it creating some really beautiful stuff. anyone interested?

Chris

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 6:15pm

Sounds interesting, I might do it.

IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 3:12am

So did you guys ever get this off the ground or what?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)