Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
legal status of slings (Read 32389 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: legal status of slings
Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 9:43pm

John wrote on Apr 5th, 2010 at 12:02am:
Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 10:09pm:
My point is that all generalizations are evil. Even this one. When you look at things as black and white you're liable to miss a lot of important details. And missing details while accidentally hitting people may just get the sling banned somewhere. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

I suspect in most places if you actually hit someone or their property then theres going to be issues. If you cause injury/damage expect many additional issues. If you scare someone (and some people go out of their way to be scared) expect issues.
    Think hard about where you throw and what you throw with. Also remember in some places and with some people the perception that you are using a weapon will totally alter how they view events. I've just spent an afternoon with some friends and their family thumping a cricket ball around a park(hey its just a sport...)... and then got lectured by them how dangerous slinging tennis balls must be... It took a bit of logic and explanation to get some reasonable and rational people on my side - dont just expect everyone you run into to be as reasonable. I think Masiakasaurus is sadly on the right track. Sooner or later a slinger is going to mess up and youll see a ban somewhere. Lets try to delay it as long as possible Smiley.

This is the reason why I tend to avoid calling slings 'weapons', to avoid that confrontational attitude. Did your friends actually see you slinging or was this a "theoretical" debate based on this all weapons are dangerous notion? As you say a cricket ball off a bat has to be at least 10 times more dangerous than a slung tennis ball.

I'm still regularly slinging away in that same park where we met up some months ago and as I have said numerous times, never had anyone complain when they see me slinging tennis balls at that wall. 'Course they may be seething inside but I don't think so, they all seem to have reasonably genuine smiles on their faces as they walk by.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 11:42am

Where I live the only projectiles considered weapons are those traveling at 500fps or faster.  Tennis balls won't do that unless shot from a potato cannon maybe and I don't think the stones I am throwing are either, but I don't know a lot about the speed of them.  Any object, (even a pen,) is considered a weapon or deadly weapon depending, when used to commit an assault or crime.  So as long as you are not throwing stones at the neighbors dog and do not use it where it may be unsafe, (throwing rocks in the park, near houses etc.) I don't see a problem.  I live on a small tourist island known for the fishing industries, people come for the lobster and to see the herring weirs.  There is only a Mountie on the island periodically, sometimes gone for a week even.  Thus we do not have to worry to much about what we do and don't.  But when I am on the mainland I often go down on the beaches at low tide and walk out as far as I can and throw stones out into the bay, (don't do it near docks,) and I just make sure I am out of sling range of any houses or roads in sight.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:43pm

I know many of you don't agree, but I've always felt slinging should be kept from the general public. Many of them must be extras in sheep clothing. So, I sling in the forest. Doesn't do much to promote slinging, but nothing bad will come of it either. Kind of like being a ninja slinger  Grin I've gotten good enough now that when I go into town I feel like I am carrying Wink

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #33 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:52pm

walter wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:43pm:
I know many of you don't agree, but I've always felt slinging should be kept from the general public. Many of them must be extras in sheep clothing. So, I sling in the forest. Doesn't do much to promote slinging, but nothing bad will come of it either. Kind of like being a ninja slinger  Grin I've gotten good enough now that when I go into town I feel like I am carrying Wink

walter

Aka walking heavy, packing heat, strapped, etc.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 10:21pm

Mr. Boss wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:52pm:
walter wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:43pm:

walter

Aka walking heavy, packing heat, strapped, etc.

Walk'in proud Wink

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #35 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:16pm

same. i have a friend or two who i am tutoring on the usage of the sling... we are careful. one great projectile is rock salt. drill a glass window? no prob- the salt sprays everywhere. . here's my take (and my city/state i think): unless you carry deadly Ammo, then you have a nice piece of art. Deadly Ammo= hard/heavy/sharp objects. also, i have police officers on my street. i am actually good friends with them. i would probably be in jail now if the sling is a weapon. they come watch me sling sometimes. no prob, and they are still impressed with my power. ill hopefully post a tutorial soon on rock salt projectiles.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mrn31

I am a man who walks alone...

Poland
Reply #36 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 4:56pm

In Poland we have a lot of latitude, for example every kind of knives are legal, doesn't matter automatic or manual, blocked or non blocked, every length of blade is legal, balisongs, push daggers etc. Only illegal stuff of this kind is a blade hidden in a thing, what has no unequivocal shape of a knife. Illegal are nunchaku, baseball bats, crossbows, guns (for civilians if they don't belong to some hunting club). Every kind of slingshot are legal, our Law does not even mention about slings Smiley Lot of civil liberty, but there is a lot of murder with knives and they will restrict carrying of a knife.. For me tragedy - I collect knives of any kind and carry about 3 in my pockets and backpack as EDC Tongue

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #37 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:10am

In France, the legal status of weapons is defined by the "Décret n°95-589 du 6 mai 1995 relatif à l'application du décret du 18 avril 1939 fixant le régime des matériels de guerre, armes et munitions" (concerning war materials, weapons and ammunitions) (125 articles...).

Weapons are classified in 8 different categories and the sling can be put under the 6th, Art. 2 §1 :
"6e catégorie : Armes blanches.
Paragraphe 1 : Tous objets susceptibles de constituer une arme dangereuse pour la sécurité publique, et notamment les baïonnettes, sabres-baïonnettes, poignards, couteaux-poignards, matraques, casse-tête, cannes à épées, cannes plombées et ferrées, sauf celles qui ne sont ferrées qu'à un bout, arbalètes, fléaux japonais, étoiles de jets, coups de poing américains, lance-pierres de compétition, projecteurs hypodermiques."
Anything that may be a dangerous weapon for public safety, including [...] crossbow, nunchuk, shurikens, knuckle dusters, competition slingshot[...]

The Art 46-1 state that you are free to buy and possess any weapon of the 6th category if you are over 18.
If you are a minor, you can't buy a sling (or a sword cane). But you can have one if you are over 16, your parent (or equivalent) authorised it AND you are a licenced of a sport federation having an official ministerial accreditation.

BUT, according to the Art 57 you cannot carry them without "legitimate reasons". One of those reason seems to be the practice of a sport, in a federation accredited. You also have to carry them in such a way they can't be easily used, either by using a security system or by taking it apart (or at least an important part).

So slings are legal to buy and own, maybe not to carry and not if you carry them with rocks or lead ammo. Of course, you can't be sent to jail for having shoelaces, but...

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #38 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:59am

It is an interesting legal argument.

For example - when does a sling become a weapon ?

I carry a sling in my back pocket and three 2cm ballbearings in one of my front pockets.
Seperately neither one is either a weapon or illegal.

However when combined - they constitute a potentially lethal weapon.
However up until that point it's not illegal, and it most likely only becomes illegal if the combination is used either to cause damage or against a human being.

My argument is - in the unlikely event I'm successfully mugged - I can take the buggers down while they're running away - no way in hell would I miss 3 times Smiley  

But up until the point I combine the two and use them against a human being - I'm not breaking any laws. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #39 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:25am

I would love to know and replicate the way archery became such a socially accepted and legal weapon in almost every country. Even Australia which arguably has one of the toughest sets of firearm and weapon restrictions in some states perfectly accepts the weapon as legal and unregulated to purchase and keep.

There's a reason why the bow isn't illegal and other weapons such as slingshots, blowguns and various weapons don't have legal clubs or avenues to legally use in most countries. Perhaps it's because high society adapted the bow into their culture or has rules and a regulated competition. Despite many accidents, illegal hunting and perhaps even murders with the bow it remains completely legal and unregulated. It seems to be such a solid part of culture that almost nothing can tarnish its legal standings or its image.

I believe slings, slingshots and blowguns should all have a legal avenue to which you can practice and shot them as part of a hobby or interest. I would like to live in a world where the sling is treated with the same respect and legal organization as the bow. I'm not sure how such an organization would come into existence but I hope that one day it will exist before the sling is recognized and exploited by questionable individuals. I'm guessing meetings with the law would be necessary to establish such a club.

IP Logged

Matt Borel
Descens

I can almost hit almost
anything.

Portland, Oregon
Reply #40 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:28pm

Very recently I have heard debate over the broad definition (in the US?) of "weapons of mass destruction", part of which was anything projecting a missile over one half inch in diameter. An expert commented that the definition would include something like a potato gun, as the law did not specify powder as a propellant. It occurred to me that a sling would fit in the definition, so you go from a harmless peice of rope to a wmd. ????

I don't care if I'm a geek,&&I'm going to make a sling a week.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #41 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:48pm

The US definition for "Weapon of Mass Destruction" or WMD is anything nuclear, biological, or chemical capable of causing "high order destruction" and/or "mass casualties" and specifically excludes the delivery method. Shoot a glow-in-the-dark potato and it may be called a WMD, but the potato gun won't be. There is no formal agreement over how much destruction or how many injuries constitutes a WMD. I've found a lot of weapon laws are written to be this broad, so as to fold new ideas and concepts in with minimal changes. That and lawmakers don't usually know much about what they are legislating.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Reply #42 - May 16th, 2013 at 5:10am

Here here camo!

And Curious Aardvark... whats the weight on those bearings? How do you find they compare to lead glandes?

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #43 - May 16th, 2013 at 7:35am

Camo-sling wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 10:25am:
I would love to know and replicate the way archery became such a socially accepted and legal weapon in almost every country. Even Australia which arguably has one of the toughest sets of firearm and weapon restrictions in some states perfectly accepts the weapon as legal and unregulated to purchase and keep.

There's a reason why the bow isn't illegal and other weapons such as slingshots, blowguns and various weapons don't have legal clubs or avenues to legally use in most countries. Perhaps it's because high society adapted the bow into their culture or has rules and a regulated competition. Despite many accidents, illegal hunting and perhaps even murders with the bow it remains completely legal and unregulated. It seems to be such a solid part of culture that almost nothing can tarnish its legal standings or its image.

I believe slings, slingshots and blowguns should all have a legal avenue to which you can practice and shot them as part of a hobby or interest. I would like to live in a world where the sling is treated with the same respect and legal organization as the bow. I'm not sure how such an organization would come into existence but I hope that one day it will exist before the sling is recognized and exploited by questionable individuals. I'm guessing meetings with the law would be necessary to establish such a club.  

I wouldn't speak too loudly with regards to bows mate. It is currently in the system to have bows registered and bow owners licenced along the same lines as firearms. It's just a matter of how soon it makes it to legislation.

Mick

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #44 - May 16th, 2013 at 7:54am

Mick wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 7:35am:
I wouldn't speak too loudly with regards to bows mate. It is currently in the system to have bows registered and bow owners licenced along the same lines as firearms. It's just a matter of how soon it makes it to legislation.

Mick

It makes sense to have bow owners registered. However, not enabling a legal avenue to practice and use the weapon in a safe and controlled environment isn't sensible. Mick, where did you hear it's in the system? I'd like to read up on that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, vetryan15)