Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
legal status of slings (Read 32242 times)
daveb
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

legal status of slings
Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:18pm

hello, I'm brand new to the forum and honored to be here.
First question... does any one know the legal status of slings in New York state?
thanks in advance for your help.
daveb

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Re: legal status of slings
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:29pm

A piece of rope will never be made illegal.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Trouble is a sling is more than just a piece of rope.

It's quite likely that a sling has no legal status as most legislators are not up enough on such specifics. Often there is confusion between slings and slingshots and so on. However most legislatures also have 'catch-all' clauses which allow you to be charged with 'dangerous behaviour' or the like even if the item you are allegedly misusing is quite legal in itself; eg, playing baseball in the park is OK, swinging or even carrying a baseball bat in a shopping mall is not.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 7:06pm

Mr. Boss wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:29pm:
A piece of rope will never be made illegal.

That's like saying that a piece of metal will never be illegal, but if you turn it into something dangerous like a knife or a shank it's different.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 9:01pm

nope, it's fine, but in a place like where rebels are slinging at soldiers, you best tread carefully.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:27pm

Hi, daveb, and welcome;
    I live in New Jersey.  I'm pretty sure that sling shots are illegal and slings are legal. I imagine that this is due to the sling's relative obscurity, in that it's potential destructive power is much greater than a sling shot's.   I know for a fact that hunting with a sling is illegal.  I suppose that New York's laws are similar to New Jersey's.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:59am

i once asked an officer about slings or something like that. i forget what i asked, but im pretty sure the answer applied to slings.
he basically told me that anything propelling and object at lethal forces could be considers illegal.
that or i asked about concealed weapons, with the sling in mind.

to wrap it up, dont kill someone, and im sure you'll be fine.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Slinger93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:00am

But, does any one know anything, about situation of Slings in UK?

"Ja pierdolę" - tymi słowami rozpoczynam każdy dzień...

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:05am

Slinger93 wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:00am:
But, does any one know anything, about situation of Slings in UK?

Pretty sure that C-A has looked into this and will give you a fuller answer but I'm also pretty sure it's along the lines of my answer above, in that slings are not specifically mentioned but you could be charged with 'carrying an offensive weapon' or 'discharging a missile in a public place' etc.

As I have said on numerous occassions, here in Australia I've never once had a problem slinging tennis balls, even in quite public parks, but I wouldn't throw stones unless right out in the countryside.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:55am

I usually carry a tennis ball along with my slings, thereby making them dog playing tools.  While slings as such is not mentioned, if the police think/claim something/anything is carried as a weapon, it is by definition illegal in my little part of the world.

Just a vague thought; while a braided split pouch sling may be an intricate piece of rope art, a typical cord/pouch sling could be recogniced as a weapon almost everywhere (legal or not).
timann

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: FAQ and Sling Making Tutorial Threads
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 7:12pm

Maybe the legal status of the sling should be included in the topics of general interest on the FAQ. I've seen that question asked a lot by newcomers.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:40pm

The only trouble is that we don't have anything close to a comprehensive list of places where slinging is legal, illegal, or where the legality is obscure. In the state of Alabama, in the U.S., the laws were written by people who had no idea what they were talking about. When talking about slingshots in our state laws the words sling and slingshot are used interchangeably, but both are defined as a devise which uses elastic to propel a projectile. Legality is a vague thing, so I think it's best for newbies to ask and hopefully look up the legal status of slings in their area.

Maybe we should start a list? I'd only want to do that based on actual laws, not just where people sling and haven't gotten in trouble yet.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:36pm

As stated above, this question is often asked however the answers are often fairly general. Of course legal opinion questions are always murky.

If you want to take this project onboard it could be quite good but the idea of the FAQ section was to merely have pointers or links to various threads where the specific question is addressed. So post any replies and/or comments in the thread already started and I will create a link to it under GENERAL INTEREST.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:45pm

As long as you don't hurt anyone or brake anything, you should be fine. If you do break something, you might be better off saying that you threw it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:09pm

I couldn't find where "slingshot" and "sling" are defined, but this link has both the definition of "A Dangerous Instrument" and "A Deadly Weapon" for Alabama. According to the letter of the law anything becomes a weapon at the moment of it's use as a weapon, but only guns, shotguns, knives, clubs, and brass knuckles are defined as being a weapon at all times. Until you hurt someone intentionally slinging is legal. The intent to cause harm is the deciding factor for "Dangerous Instruments".

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/codeofalabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Edit: I found the specific law about slingshots and brass knuckles. Don't hide them or things "of like description". Slings are still safe in that they are of completely discrete construction from slingshots and the law says "like description" and not "like purpose". Happy slinging, Bammers!

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/codeofalabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)