Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Where do you wear your loop?

« Created by: Olde Schoole on: Mar 24th, 2010 at 4:46am »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Personal Preference: Where do you wear your loop? (Read 6456 times)
Olde Schoole
Tiro

Personal Preference: Where do you wear your loop?
Mar 24th, 2010 at 4:46am

I watched a video of a Balearic champ early in my study with his on his middle finger. Just copied that thinking it was the established best if it's what the champion used. I've since learned there's rarely a best.

Bows don't kill people: idiots with arrows do.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Re: Personal Preference: Where do you wear your lo
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 8:43am

I started with the ring finger, and it feels best for me.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:41am

I am new to slinging but I have always worn it on my second and third finger, aka the middle finger and ring finger.  I for one would not put it on only one finger because if for some reason you didn't release when throwing a heavy projectile, you don't want your finger to take off with the sling and stone.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:49am

I have always had the loop on my second and thirds (middle and ring) fingers and held the relese cord pinched between the last joint of my first and second (pointer and ring) fingers.  I used it at first because I had no one to tell me that I should hold it another way, and now its just what I do.  I try other grips sometimes, just for fun, the same way I try other slinging styles.  I havn't tried a wrist loop yet, maybe I'll try that one next...

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:56am

LukeWebb wrote on Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:41am:
I for one would not put it on only one finger because if for some reason you didn't release when throwing a heavy projectile, you don't want your finger to take off with the sling and stone.

Ha, that's why I started on two fingers too. It seemed to me that there was too much power in a throw to put it on one finger joint, and, knowing me, I'd probably find a way to lose my finger.  Three seemed too constrictive on my hand, and so it was settled.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 12:36pm

at the second knuckle of the index finger. i find this to be the most accurate for me.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 6:57pm

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 8:24pm

I like the loop on the inside of my third finger, but the cord runs between my first and second finger pinched between th knuckles.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 9:37pm

I use my thumb for the retention cord.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 1:33am

I use the same style as Dork, looped on the third and threaded through the first and second.  Although I use a wrist loop on my mega sling.

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Olde Schoole
Tiro

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 4:55am

EtC. - Just as I was about to post this I thought "This has probably already been asked a bunch of times". So I did a quick search, and,... I apparently don't know how to do searches.  Wink

Bows don't kill people: idiots with arrows do.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 7:06am

Still an interesting thing to discuss.
A bit off topic, but recently I tried holding the release knot between my pointer and middle finger between the middle part of the fingers. I haven't really tried slinging any rocks or anything with it, for fear of a bad misfire, but it feels interesting. Has anyone else tried holding the release cord somewhere else besides with the thumb?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:13am

Et Cetera wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 7:06am:
A bit off topic, but recently I tried holding the release knot between my pointer and middle finger between the middle part of the fingers. I haven't really tried slinging any rocks or anything with it, for fear of a bad misfire, but it feels interesting. Has anyone else tried holding the release cord somewhere else besides with the thumb?

One of our ladies on the forum (Eoraptor?) started slinging like that. When I heard about it I tried it, and my accuracy dropped but my "feel" (i don't know how to describe it. I knew when I messed up better than with my normal release) was greater. I generally have my retention loop on my middle finger: outside for power, inside resting on my index finger for accuracy. I also use a strap wrapped around my hand (narrow grip) on some slings and like it, and I will be making a Jaegoor-copy sling with a toggle to try. I have a feeling it will be awesome. Cheesy

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 4:16pm

i learned to sling with the knot between the pointer and middle finger, but since i was using just a piece of cord it kept on getting tangled because it was too close together. eventually changed to the thumb.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 6:10pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:13am:

One of our ladies on the forum (Eoraptor?) started slinging like that. When I heard about it I tried it, and my accuracy dropped but my "feel" (i don't know how to describe it. I knew when I messed up better than with my normal release) was greater. I generally have my retention loop on my middle finger: outside for power, inside resting on my index finger for accuracy. I also use a strap wrapped around my hand (narrow grip) on some slings and like it, and I will be making a Jaegoor-copy sling with a toggle to try. I have a feeling it will be awesome. Cheesy

That's how I'd describe it too. Exactly the way I'd describe it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark)