Send Topic Print
Favorite ammo (Read 18441 times)
Geo
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Boston, Massachusetts
Favorite ammo
Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:49pm

For me, a golf ball is almost perfect for ammunition.  The "Pros" are that they are readily available and used ones cost very little money.  The "Cons" are the weight: at approximately 45 grams they are a little too light for my taste.  Tennis balls aren't much better at approximately 58 grams (though I haven't tried filling one with water yet.)

What is your favorite ammo and why?  What experiences have you had with other types of ammo?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Favorite ammo
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 6:05pm

I most often use tennis balls. I agree they aren't ideal, but their chief advantage is safety and the fact they don't go nearly as far as stones or golf balls can actually be a plus as retrieving them is easier. However I just spent a week in the country where I had the chance to throw a few good river stones Seeing a stone go well over 100m for the same effort that would barely get 50m with a tennis ball was very satisfying.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 6:17pm

Definitely rocks when I can. Nothing beats slinging a rock into some dense woods and hearing that thunk... Otherwise I kinda like golf balls as they go far.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 7:32pm

My favorite ammo out of what I have used in the past would definitely have to be river rock.
But alas, due to a cruel twist of fate, I am smack dab in the middle of a city, and am forced to use tennis balls to prevent property damage. Tongue
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2010 at 1:20am by Donnerschlag »  

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Geo
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 8:21pm

I just got back from the local sporting goods store and I found Lacrosse balls!  At a diameter of 2.5 cm they are a little smaller than a tennis ball and they weigh about 145 grams.  That's not perfect (for me) but it is pretty darn close.  At 2 dollars each they are a little pricy, but if they work out, I can buy a few here and there.  I also found (American) football shaped lead sinkers  that weighed 3oz, 6oz, and 8 oz (85, 170, and 227 grams respectively.)  Once the snow clears and I can find a wide open area, I am going to love to see how far they can go! Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:13pm

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that was once under water (South Jersey).  Consequently there are zillions of oval shaped egg sized river stones around here.  They are generally my ammo of choice.  I like golf balls a lot too because they do fly farther than anything else I've tried.  There are lots of golf courses around here so I never have to buy them.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:09pm

Rocks. Any size or shape as long as they are around three to four ounces.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:31pm

Geo wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 8:21pm:
I also found (American) football shaped lead sinkers  that weighed 3oz, 6oz, and 8 oz (85, 170, and 227 grams respectively.)  Once the snow clears and I can find a wide open area, I am going to love to see how far they can go! Cheesy

To avoid losing them, I've read of some people tying a bit of ribbon to them to make them easier to follow and find.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 12:46am

I dont get why people use tennis balls. i guess its to avoid property damage, but i dont sling anywhere near buildings or people, and i find tennisblls to light fo my taste. i prefer rocks, at least golfball sized, for my slinging.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 3:04am

You answered your own question.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 6:54am

stuff.
Mainly stuff i just pick up Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 8:49am

Rocks. Very dense, very smooth. Either spheroids, ovoids or spindles. Lots of all the above around my "ranges" (where I live used to be the bottom of the ocean, then was smashed up into a big mountain range , then was eroded from around 1500m tall down to the 500m mark.Then had some volcanoes make a mess all over the place.

Lots of rocks, and space. Good combination.

But I do like your "stuff" approach, CA... I think a weekly segment called "Can You Sling It?" would be great.

Fruit, veg, lumps of steel, a few lengths of old, fine chain (actually that was fairly impressive), bits of wood, darts, bones, all very fun. I tend to ritually launch the last few inches of any given cucumber (grow our own, can always cut fresh), the occasional rotten egg, not often as being freerange they take forever to go off... there's a half a sack of readymix in the shed I keep meaning to play with to make more glande shaped shots but not gotten around to it yet.

I have never (confession time) actually slung a ball. Tennis or golf. The dog eats them so by the time I see them they're a withered husk of their former selves. Yes, he really does eat golf balls. Every now and then we find some somewhere and within a week they're just shreds of plastic and a hundred metres of rubber.

Tip - don't let a rhodesian x ridgeback chew your balls, if you value them.

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 9:22am

Well, since I don't have a ready supply of nice, smooth river rocks around the house I guess the Kitty Litter Clay Glandes that I make up would probably be my favorite ammo. In fact, it's pretty much my ONLY ammo. LOL.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 11:36am

rocks ans snails.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 11:54am

"wow, look at that escar- go!"

apologies. that was inexcusably awful.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15)