Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Portable Balearic Target - sort of (Read 7178 times)
4accord
Descens

Re: Portable Balearic Target - sort of
Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 3:00pm

Have taken the target to another level.  By adding 39 1/2-inch legs and using T-couplers instead of the lower two elbows, you can create a self-standing frame that allows for some options in how you can set it up - hanging, connected to a pole or fence, standing on stakes set in the ground, or anchored with ropes that are connected to tent stakes.  The photo below shows the materials needed (the couplers were 33 cents each and I had to buy one more 10-foot section of PVC for 83 cents).

fittings.jpg (65 KB | )
fittings.jpg

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 3:04pm

I also followed C-A's suggestion to use cardboard to make a center disk.  I used two pieces of heavy cardboard cut from a box.  As an easy way to make a circle, I used a piece of paper pinned (yes, that's a blowgun dart) to the center.  I then measured 25 cm, put a mark on the paper, and "followed it" around a circle.  This results in a circle 50 cm in diameter, or 19.7 inches.

cardboard.jpg (39 KB | )
cardboard.jpg

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 3:06pm

It may not be absolutely necessary to use two pieces of cardboard, but it does give added strength.  I glued the two together and reinforced the edges with packaging tape (optional).  I then punched two holes for suspending from the target frame with coat hangers.

glue.jpg (46 KB | )
glue.jpg

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #18 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 3:08pm

Here's what the whole shebang looks like for carrying to your practice area.  It is lightweight and portable, which is the whole purpose.  Setting up takes one minute or so - very easy!

kit.jpg (105 KB | )
kit.jpg

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 3:13pm

Once assembled, it looks like this, and the disk is suspended so that the center sits at 63 inches off the ground.  Of course, using bungees to hold it to a fence like this does not allow the target to swing, which may add to the wear and tear on it (if cardboard).  The cardboard is not likely to last forever, as it will slowly get pretty beaten up.  But it's not hard to replace every so often.  I might go to plywood as a more durable solution eventually.

Whether the tarp can be fitted around the frame now is something I didn't try to establish, as I wouldn't want to cut it and it really isn't required - this also cuts out the otherwise largest expense of the project.  Without the tarp, I think the whole thing can be done for under $5 plus two small bungees or ropes.

Overally, I would say this is a very workable, low cost, solution to the challenge of providing a portable alternative to Vicente's wood and metal target.  For practice purposes, it performs really well (much better than I do)!

target.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #20 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 2:17am

"The cardboard is not likely to last forever, as it will slowly get pretty beaten up."

Not if you are hitting it as often as we weren't...   Shocked

George N

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #21 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 2:46pm

I have thought of making one of these out of ply wood with its own tripod just waiting to get the money for the lumber and cuting a hole in the center this would have a large sock like tube on the back to stop the balls that hit in the hole but then i have a truck and good size back yard Grin Winkbut i do like how yours is cheap to biuld and very easy to move  Smiley

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:22am

Shocked

I like it!

I have been talking to MadSlinger about putting together something very much like this.  We might need a couple of different target types for the sport we've been playing, but, this is quite the awesome setup for accuracy practice/competitions..

Thank you very much Caldou for shooting this one my way!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Brett
Descens

St Louis
Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:20am

AAAGGHH!!!

Scooped again!!!!

I am currently making an almost identical target, except I foolishly decided to use a cheap ($8) canvas dropcloth for the backing and to sew it on. I'm trying to make it so that the target captures the ammo. Then I got sidetracked making a nice stone bag from the remnant fabric and some braided jute. I haven't done the PVC yet, but plan to make it freestanding with a base (the place I will use it is indoors, has a concrete floor and a cinderblock wall with no easy attachment points).

BTW, well done.  Simplicity is the hallmark of good design and engineering.

What's a chuckit?

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:03pm

A "Chuckit" is a heavy tennis ball, used as a dog toy but not so easy for them to chew through.  You can get them for not much at Wal-Mart and pet shops.  The density makes them a better sling ammo than tennis balls...but the best sling ammo of all for recreation (aside from rocks and lead and steel bearings which are truly deadly) are lacrosse balls.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #25 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:53pm

Hi.
Haven´t been here for quite some time..

I had this thread about my portable balearic target up long ago:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1322244172/0

Maybe that can inspire someone?

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #26 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:07pm

Brett wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:20am:
I am currently making an almost identical target, except I foolishly decided to use a cheap ($8) canvas dropcloth for the backing and to sew it on. I'm trying to make it so that the target captures the ammo. Then I got sidetracked making a nice stone bag from the remnant fabric and some braided jute. I haven't done the PVC yet, but plan to make it freestanding with a base (the place I will use it is indoors, has a concrete floor and a cinderblock wall with no easy attachment points).

I tried to make a PVC balearic target for such conditions, only smaller by a little margin (1m instead of 1,20).
The first 3 designs of the little doodle here don't stand well. Especially if you have a system to catch ammo.

You may want to go for the bigger one, but I didn't find (yet) the right coupler (3 ways, with one at some strange angle...), so I went down an other way, only keeping the diana size on a tripod :

I didn't read this one well enough since I missed the "standing on stakes set in the ground, or anchored with ropes that are connected to tent stakes." part when I had to use it in a public forest, but the tripod still Ok ^^

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Cavemanzhi

Teaching stones to fly!

Cambridgeshire, UK
Reply #27 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:51pm

These are great ideas for targets! I have just been slinging at this poor tree that is at a good distance from the place where I go to sling stones. Other than that I sling tennis balls at a soccer goal from about mid-field, which I miss more often than not.  Undecided

"Sir, that guy is stealing stones from the rock garden again."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #28 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 3:46am

Cavemanzhi wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:51pm:
These are great ideas for targets! I have just been slinging at this poor tree that is at a good distance from the place where I go to sling stones. Other than that I sling tennis balls at a soccer goal from about mid-field, which I miss more often than not.  Undecided

Surprising how easy it is to miss such a large target huh?  It's just like that third shot in my last vid.  I was only like, 20 meters tops from the backstop.  Still launched that stupid tennis ball into some poor person's front yard... LOL

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:09am

I believe that slinging causes concentration of the air around the target.  The motion of the arm and sling moves the air forward in waves and that caues turbulence due to the reflection of the air waves when the wave front encounters the target, causeing severe deflections in the flight of a thrown object. That's why you get those wild shots and that's why it's so hard to hit with a sling.  Grin

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)