Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tomb of the Reliefs, Cerveteri (Read 21775 times)
hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Re: Tomb of the Reliefs, Cerveteri
Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 11:36pm

in Australia it's to flog a dead horse... flog having some fairly amusing connotations itself.

language - it's a bewdiful thing.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 2:45am

Good pictures! I´ve not seen it before. Of course they are slings. See Bernard Henry "La fronde en Italie", 1972. In the chapter "SLINGS" recently published by 4accord, the thing is covered:

"Less uncertainty lies with the Etruscan slings, which are sufficiently well-represented in funeral monuments and have been carefully examined by B. Henry. On the one hand, we have the depictions of hunting and fishing from the tomb of Tarquinii [Italy] on which we see figures of slingers. However, the only fact one can take from them is the length of the slings, which he estimated in proportion to the body of the slinger, giving approximate dimensions of the once-folded sling of about 85 cm [33.5 in] for one depiction and about 120 cm [47.2 in] for the other that was shown.

More information is taken from the depictions of the Tomb of the Reliefs in Cerveteri [Italy], where four slings are portrayed. In the necropolis of Cerveteri, there are no frescos as in Tarquinii, but the walls of their mausoleums are nevertheless decorated with magnificent bas-reliefs which portray objects of daily life. On all the slings depicted on the Tomb of the Reliefs, the main braid is divided in the center part into three branches which form the pouch. There is a kind of knot in the vertices [points of intersection] of the pouch as if to secure the braiding. The length of the pouch is twice the width and approximately a ninth of the total length of the sling. The whole sling seems to be braided of rush or string. The average length of the once-folded slings would be about 80 cm [31.5 in].

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 7:16am

I have just braided up an Etruscan sling with the dimensions given here. I made it as a normal braided split pouch sling with three extra short lengths laid in at the centre to give 3x3 for the pouch.

I have to say it has not cured me of my aversion to the split pouch! I suspect the the centre braid needs to be slightly longer than the outer braids because with mine, anything I try to put into the pouch teeters on the centre braid and leaves one of the outer braids doing nothing.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 10:09am

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #19 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 11:45am

David Morningstar wrote on Jan 17th, 2010 at 7:16am:
I suspect the the centre braid needs to be slightly longer than the outer braids...

I´ve not made one but this you say looks reasonable. Pouches of several branches are somewhat common, like the one in the home page here, from Mariana islands, or some others fom Micronesia.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #20 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 12:00pm

I would rather make a two-braided pouch and use the extra cord to make netting between the braids, this would work far better in my opinion. This would then look like an Aztec sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)