Khalazar
Tiro

Accidentially destroying
other people's property

Switzerland!
Staff sling
Nov 25th, 2009 at 9:19am

They rule Smiley

I've heard about the quite great power of the staff sling, and decided to make my own.

Just about now, I can understand how awesome it feels.
A kinda smooth, untiring move hurls the damn stone with enough force to embed a pointy stone in a tree (!) with some luck.(I was in a forest)
One can imagine that this is quite enough energy to split some skulls. Which is why my staff sling shall go by the name of Skullsplitter. Because I think it sounds cool.
Also, I must find that it is significiantly easier to get good shots with a staff sling than with a hand sling when you're unexperienced, although my previous hand slinging eperience may help in staff-slinging.

I've had problems, though: The kinda big stones flop out of the pouch or launch prematurely, in a quite dangerous arc for the slinger (me Cheesy). Which kinda defeats part of the purpose of the staff sling: Slinging some really big honkers.
It's not quite as pretty as other staff slings I've seen (I mean you Rat Man!), rather designed to be easily and speedily constructed. The staff is more or less 180 cm or 6' long, the cords 60 cm or 2' and braided by the toughest son of bitch recycled string I've ever seen. Have some images!
(lacking a photo site account, I'll just triple-post)
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:41am by Curious Aardvark »  

Slinging rocks rocks.
turnerthebunny  
IP Logged

Khalazar
Tiro

Accidentially destroying
other people's property

Switzerland!
Re: Staff sling
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:29am

Slung a bit less than fist sized stones quite a distance. I've fallen in love.

Scroll down to Rat Man's post for images (thanks Rat Man for downsizing, btw. Makes 'em prettier too  Wink)
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:37am by Khalazar »  

Slinging rocks rocks.
turnerthebunny  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:13pm

Yep, they're good fun  Grin

Have you seen the slo-mo videos? I have been spamming them around a bit so you might well have done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reEaUOTU1KI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QjFam33ng8

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 1:48pm

That is a good looking staff sling. I have yet to make one, some day soon though.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 3:07pm

Thanks for the kind words,  Khalazar.  Staff slings are loads of fun and can hurl large ammo that would break your arm if you used a hand sling.  I took the liberty of shrinking your pictures so we could get a better look at them.

IMG_94101Sm.JPG (32 KB | )
IMG_94101Sm.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 3:08pm

That is a nice looking staff sling.  I made three, but I ran out of bamboo.. the kids around here got interested in making staff slings.  I'm getting a new load of bamboo in soon so I'll be back in business.  

SlFlSm.JPG (44 KB | )
SlFlSm.JPG

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:44am

nice staff sling - I resized your original picture (puts thumbs in ears, pokes tongue out and waggles fingers in ratman's direction lol)

Check out photogadget resizer - around 800x600 works well for us Smiley
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1258292684
A few other programs you might have a look at there as well Smiley

Quote:
The kinda big stones flop out of the pouch or launch prematurely, in a quite dangerous arc for the slinger (me Cheesy). Which kinda defeats part of the purpose of the staff sling: Slinging some really big honkers.

Ah you're putting too much 'oomph' in the early stages of the throw. Start slow and only give a big heave right at the end and you should get much better/flatter trajectories.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Khalazar
Tiro

Accidentially destroying
other people's property

Switzerland!
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 2:37pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:44am:
nice staff sling - I resized your original picture (puts thumbs in ears, pokes tongue out and waggles fingers in ratman's direction lol)

Quote:
The kinda big stones flop out of the pouch or launch prematurely, in a quite dangerous arc for the slinger (me Cheesy). Which kinda defeats part of the purpose of the staff sling: Slinging some really big honkers.

Ah you're putting too much 'oomph' in the early stages of the throw. Start slow and only give a big heave right at the end and you should get much better/flatter trajectories.

I'll try that then, thanks for the resizing too. It's getting quite hard to sling. All good stones are near a construction yard, where I don't really want to show up due to an accident involving my hand sling and some guy's car.

Slinging rocks rocks.
turnerthebunny  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Khalazar wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 2:37pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:44am:

Quote:

I'll try that then, thanks for the resizing too. It's getting quite hard to sling. All good stones are near a construction yard, where I don't really want to show up due to an accident involving my hand sling and some guy's car.

Tennis balls for safety, clay ammo for consistancy and distance. Fixes both of your problems.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:44am

This is my Staff Sling/ Fustibale and my loading-squire.

Forum8.JPG (836 KB | )
Forum8.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:51am

Quote:
where I don't really want to show up due to an accident involving my hand sling and some guy's car.

lol we've most of us been there. That's when you develop the nonchalant walk and innocent expression.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:51am

And this is what happens to a viking with wooden shield on 80-90 meters when the projectile / waterballoon hits him in battle. He survived very wet. Since then Staff Slings are feared on german reenactor-battlefields.

Forum9.jpg (53 KB | )
Forum9.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 11:27am

The sling loading photograph: the pouch very assymmetrical. Is that OK ?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 11:30am

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:51am:
And this is what happens to a viking with wooden shield on 80-90 meters when the projectile / waterballoon hits him in battle. He survived very wet. Since then Staff Slings are feared on german reenactor-battlefields.

Hello, and welcome, Jaegoor;
    That's a great looking staff sling!  I like the curve in the staff. 
Khalazar, I don't see why your staff sling is dropping big ammo prematurely.  It looks fine to me.  It's probably as c_a says.. you just need to tweak your form a bit.  If this doesn't help, however, a good sling for holding any sized projectiles is a pj. (Guides and Articles)  ilpc and I make them long, like around eight inches.  Mine look like a canoe when I'm done.  A long pj sling will sort of wrap around the projectile.  They'll hold anything from a large acorn sized projectile to a baseball.   
   I should be getting more bamboo any day now so I can begin experimenting again.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 11:38am

Thearos wrote on Nov 28th, 2009 at 11:27am:
The sling loading photograph: the pouch very asymmetrical. Is that OK ?

One of my staff slings had an asymmetrical, though not that much, pj sling on it and it worked great.  I'd say it's absolutely OK and possibly better than a symmetrical sling.  From what I'm seeing in the picture, Jaegoor makes a mean staff sling!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Kick)