Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ever wonder about making ammo? (Read 7013 times)
Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Ever wonder about making ammo?
Nov 23rd, 2009 at 7:24pm

I've always thought about making ammo, since there are plenty of tutorials on this site, but i always get stuck on this one part.
Wasting materials.
I just feel as if making ammo is wasting supplies that could go to other things. Concrete for houses, clay for art, etc.
and slinging may destroy the object or loose it unless your slinging on a field. so ive never done it.
i prefer to just sling rocks, which were already there.

thoughts on this?

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Ever wonder about making ammo?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 8:04pm

i agree, which is why i was thinking on mud projectiles- it's every where and if you move a few hundreds yards down then there'll just be a bit more there, and a bit less here

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 8:21pm

xxkid123 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009 at 8:04pm:
i agree, which is why i was thinking on mud projectiles- it's every where and if you move a few hundreds yards down then there'll just be a bit more there, and a bit less here

exactly. thats why ive considerd makign dorodango, but just to get the ball shape, then hawk it.
http://www.dorodango.com/about.html

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:19am

I always considered making ammo for a sling a waste of time and energy, but then again I have a pebble beach less than 50 meters from my home Grin. Now making darts for my blowgun that´s another matter...

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 5:55am

I've been making those for years Woonilsra, I've just never knew what they were called. I have only made them from sand though.

I use essentially the same method as described on the link, except I deviate after step 3 by dumping a small pile of dry sand over the sand ball to draw the moisture out. After as few as 3-5 minutes of being buried, and after clearing the dry sand that clings to the ball off, (brush it off until you reach the more moist inner ball.) you have a slightly moist sand ball leather-like in stiffness at this point. I usually stop here.

Since I usually make them from sand (when I'm at the beach), I've only made the rough shape. (I never considered polishing something as fragile as a sand ball. Tongue)

Now I wanna try making a polished one. Thanks a lot. Roll Eyes

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:16am

I've mentioned this before.. some time in prehistory South Jersey, where I live, was under water.  Consequently there are smooth, oval shaped river stones everywhere here.  Making ammo is completely unnecessary.  If I had to make it there is also good quality clay at many locations not far from me.  There's one clay bed right across the street.  I've been curious about experimenting with clay ammo, but with all of these perfect river stones around it's not a pressing need.
  Now to look up what the heck dorodango is...

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:20am

I have a decent amount of access to good river stone, so I don't always make ammo. I do make clay glandes when I am looking for consistent ammunition however.

In my opinion it's not a waste if you are having fun and the ammo fits the purpose you need it for.

Most of the time I sling tennis balls as I live in the city now. I can go down to the river and shoot stones, or I can make clay shot when I am looking for consistency.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:59am

ilovepancakes wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:20am:
In my opinion it's not a waste if you are having fun and the ammo fits the purpose you need it for.

Of course not, and I was only talking about me personally Wink You should know how much time and effort went in the perfect blowgun wire dart  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

sash
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 9:20am

I make lots of lead glandes.  I've got a couple thousand pounds of lead, and cast thousands of bullets each year, anyway.  My son and I are competative shooters.  It's nice to use projectiles of consistent weight, size and shape when working on accuracy.  There aren't many natural sources of ammo near me, so making my own is a convenient way to keep slinging.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 12:40pm

sash wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 9:20am:
I make lots of lead glandes.  I've got a couple thousand pounds of lead, and cast thousands of bullets each year, anyway.  My son and I are competative shooters.  It's nice to use projectiles of consistent weight, size and shape when working on accuracy.  There aren't many natural sources of ammo near me, so making my own is a convenient way to keep slinging.

Are you serious or are you pulling our leg here; you purchased a couple of tons of lead for your slinging hobby? And you actually cast thousands of glands yearly (is there a war going on where you live?) If true  I hereby nominate you and your son  honorary sling nuts of this site....!

IP Logged

sash
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 1:15pm

Quote:
I make lots of lead glandes.  I've got a couple thousand pounds of lead, and cast thousands of bullets each year, anyway.  My son and I are competative shooters.  It's nice to use projectiles of consistent weight, size and shape when working on accuracy.  There aren't many natural sources of ammo near me, so making my own is a convenient way to keep slinging.

Are you serious or are you pulling our leg here; you purchased a couple of tons of lead for your slinging hobby? And you actually cast thousands of glands yearly (is there a war going on where you live?) If true  I hereby nominate you and your son  honorary sling nuts of this site....!

I am serious that I have a bit over 2000 pounds of lead.  However, I didn't buy it.  My wife collected used wheel weights from various tire stores and gave it to me for my birthday some time ago.  I don't cast thousands of glandes, just a few hundred 4 and 2 ouncers.  What I cast thousands of are lead bullets for our revolvers.  We compete in USPSA and ICORE with revolvers and shoot a thousand rounds a month or so.  On the other hand, we are definitely sling nuts, too!!

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:26pm

That explains it, still impressive, and in my humble opinion very worthy of the title... Cheesy

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:25pm

sash wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 1:15pm:
Quote:
I make lots of lead glandes.  I've got a couple thousand pounds of lead, and cast thousands of bullets each year, anyway.  My son and I are competative shooters.  It's nice to use projectiles of consistent weight, size and shape when working on accuracy.  There aren't many natural sources of ammo near me, so making my own is a convenient way to keep slinging.

Are you serious or are you pulling our leg here; you purchased a couple of tons of lead for your slinging hobby? And you actually cast thousands of glands yearly (is there a war going on where you live?) If true  I hereby nominate you and your son  honorary sling nuts of this site....!

I am serious that I have a bit over 2000 pounds of lead.  However, I didn't buy it.  My wife collected used wheel weights from various tire stores and gave it to me for my birthday some time ago.  I don't cast thousands of glandes, just a few hundred 4 and 2 ouncers.  What I cast thousands of are lead bullets for our revolvers.  We compete in USPSA and ICORE with revolvers and shoot a thousand rounds a month or so.  On the other hand, we are definitely sling nuts, too!!

Wow I have never seen a revolver at an IPSC match..unless it was on tv and the only guy weilding one was jerry miculek. I reload too and have been thinking about making some lead glandes what do you use to cast them?

IP Logged

sash
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 9:04am

I use egg sinker molds from Do-It Molds.  I've got a 3 cavity 4 oz. and a 3 cavity 2 oz. mold.  They work very well

There is a pretty large and growing revolver division in USPSA, even though Jerry is still pretty much unbeatable.

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:53am

Thanks for the link..What kind of revolver are you using a S&W 625?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)