Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Organizing (Read 4001 times)
Jwest12
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Organizing
Nov 22nd, 2009 at 9:55pm

I just had an idea about making it a little easier for people to look through the forum. I am still not sure about all of the different kinds on slings and throwing styles that are out there, and I am sure other beginniers aren't either. Is there anyway someone could make a sticky folder that stays up top, that lists different kinds of slings and a picture of each of them? That way it would be easier for someone to just go to that folder instead of looking through the whole forum for a pic of a certain sling. Or is that too hard to do? Or do you guys not think its a good idea?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Organizing
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:50pm

One place to go and see all the different styles of slings. Sounds like a great idea to me!

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 11:11pm

I like the idea also.

IP Logged

raprapper713
Novicius

Colorado, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:33am

On a game forum that I moderate they have something similar for guides on various things. It makes finding a certain thing a lot easier.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 5:22am

Very good idea.

It could also have links to vids showing slinging techniques referred to.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 8:24am

fantastic idea - bloody good job it's already there then eh Wink

'pictures of slings and slinging' sticky ring any bells ?
'youtube Video links' - sticky anyone ?

One of the problems of having loads of stickys is that it encourages members to be lazy (yeah you know who you are lol).
There are over 3000 topics in the general section alone.
how many of your ever look beyond the front page ?
at least 70% of all threads posted are repeats and go over the same ground that was covered - usually pretty comprehensively - at least once in the past.  

It's one of the main reasons we have such a fast member turnover. the exact same stuff comes round time after time.
Simply because peoploe rarely look at the older threads.

At the moment I think we have enough stickys, if you can't find something on the front page, my suggestion is to look deeper into the forum - on other pages Smiley

On top of that how many have read or looked at the information, pictures & how to's off the main site page ?
very few.
Between the main site and the two stickys 90% of all slinging questions tend to be answered.
So look Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jwest12
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 11:19am

Why 'pictures of slings and slinging' does "ring a bell," but it also happens to be 92 pages long. And a lot of it is just text, not even pictures of slings. And someone looking for a type of sling may not want to sift through 92 pages of people talking about other's slings. What I had in mind was a page that just showed the different types of slings. Something as simple as a picture with the slings name under it. It could maybe be under the advice and how to sections, not a sticky.
As far as  it "encourages members to be lazy" that was not my intention. I just thought it would make it easier for us beginners to figure things out. I know a lot of you guys have no need for such a section because you already know all of the kinds of slings. As CA said there are over 3000 topics in the general section so it makes it hard to find just one type of sling to look at, and I haven't found the search bar to be all that helpful. Anyways it was just a suggestion I had, if you think it's stupid then don't pay it any mind.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:38pm

well in the "guides and articles section" there was an article on a review of the "whirling hurler" perhpas we can make reviews over there, but only for what type of material it uses, what type it holds, basic stuff.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 7:14pm

I agree with jwest12. yes, theres already tons of information in the forums, but its pretty scattered.
what if they newbie doesnt know what the slings name is, or its spelling, just what it looks like? the stick could be very simple.

name of sling
PICTURE

and just do that for every sling we know of.

and yes i must agree, 92 pages is a lot to look through,
and a lot of it is text, and there are mini discusions for maybe half a page  hidden somewhere in there,
and slings are repeated quite a lot.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:59pm

Jwest and Woonilsra are right. For people who have not yet been in the forum for quite a long time, it is difficult to understand some of the internal slinging.org terminology. The forum has grown to an extent that makes it often difficult to find the explanation for a special expression.

Yes, everything is here somewhere, but where? A sticky or two would be helpful for  everybody, not only for newcomers.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm

A quick reference guide would be nice, but the main question is who is going to sift through all that information to put it into a cohesive bundle? Wink

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:51pm

a quick visual reference guide is not a stupid idea, Jwest. in fact, it'a damn good one. don't let C_A's tone get to you. he can come across a little heavy from time to time (pardon me for saying so, C_A) but he's a good egg all in all. i agree that a page up front with just names of established types coupled with pictures would be an invaluable rescource for those just getting into slinging.

Chris

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 11:38pm

ilovepancakes wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm:
A quick reference guide would be nice, but the main question is who is going to sift through all that information to put it into a cohesive bundle? Wink

I have ofter thought that the slinging wiki (www.slinging.org/wiki) would be the ideal place to organize slinging information. For example, there could be a single page for each style (grouping related ones together), with each page describing the style, and providing links to notable forum posts and videos. Of course this will take a lot of work and generate a lot of agrument as we try to come up with a categorization scheme for notable styles.

I hesitate starting a project like this, since I still have not finished up my Apache article, and have unedited slinging videos that I shot at least a month ago (now sliced and diced, hopefully will be posted before Christmas). I would hope that an organizaitonal project like this can be done a bit at a time, by multiple people (to deal with the overwhelming size of the task).

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:05pm

It's already done. It's called the search Feature. Type in a topic select which subforum and how how long ago and presto.
I teach a class on the medieval sling and if ya know where to look and how to work the search feature then the power of this forum really come apparent.

Marc Adkins

ilovepancakes wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm:

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:06pm

Wow!!! Someone actually looked at the home page, instead of came to the forum and asked for something that was already there......

Marc Adkins

xxkid123 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:38pm:
well in the "guides and articles section" there was an article on a review of the "whirling hurler" perhpas we can make reviews over there, but only for what type of material it uses, what type it holds, basic stuff.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)