Send Topic Print
A Little Thing (Read 3695 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
A Little Thing
Nov 21st, 2009 at 5:19pm

With some sports, like slinging, golf, bowling, etc., tiny little things can make big differences.  Where is your elbow when you release?  In the past mine could be flopping around anywhere.  About two weeks ago I started collapsing it in toward my heart on the release.  This is only for overhanded styles.  At first it felt lazy/wrong.  It only took a couple of shots before I noticed a dramatic improvement in accuracy and a bit more power.  I suppose the accuracy comes from the fact that power is coming easier and my elbow is in the exact same place (as far to the left as possible)  every time I release, removing one variable. 
   Is this standard?  Does anyone else do this?  If not, give it a try.  It might help.  I'm off to youtube now to see if DM, pj, and a few others do it.

Rat Man

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: A Little Thing
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 5:45pm

I just checked out pj, c_a, slingbadger, and DM on youtube and apparently they don't do it, or at least not in the vids that I watched.  I'm curious if there's a reason why not, if they have even thought about where their elbow is, if they do it for particular shots, if anyone has tried it besides me, etc.............

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 6:36am

Afraid I can't visualise what you mean by collapsing it towards your heart, however anything that gives consistency of form has to be good.

Have a look at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAfMtLgGNDg ; and please comment. I find this style gives me the best accuracy.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 7:50am

Your side armed style is sort of what I'm working toward.  Right now, unless I'm using the Apache style, I twirl a bit, which I know is a beginner's thing and wastes time and energy along with telegraphing your location if hunting.  Your style looks comfortable and economical.  What I'm talking about is bringing your wind up and arm in a bit tighter to your body so that your elbow is over your chest when you release.  I really should get my wife or someone to shoot a video of me slinging so I can see if my elbow is actually as close in as it feels.  When I release this way it seems easier and there's an obvious increase in my accuracy.  Kali is howling to go out and I must obey.  Thanks for answering my thread.

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:56pm

I pull my elbow in to my side right befor i let fly this to is only for over head shots but i go from over head to a side arm relese pull my elbow in to my side then up to my heart as i relese using my hand to get a faster spin on the last half of that rotation using this i get better accuracy and more power using this i can crack a tennis ball open allmost every time when shot at a wall from 50ft so u are not the only one to do this or the only one to sit and think about it all day i do it to  Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Hanbaal

Just another medieval
cyberpunk

Australia mate
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 8:59am

Im pretty sure i do that too. I reckon your right about the power and accuracy.

Say, i release with my arm still slightly bent. Does anyone else do that?

The Sling Awareness Viking says: ... ...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 3:21pm

Hanbaal wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 8:59am:

Yes, it seems like I get a bit more power if I don't unbend completely plus, I'm not a medical professional, but I'm pretty sure it's easier on your joints.

IP Logged

Khalazar
Tiro

Accidentially destroying
other people's property

Switzerland!
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:49am

Rat Man wrote on Nov 21st, 2009 at 5:19pm:
   With some sports, like slinging, golf, bowling, etc., tiny little things can make big differences.  Where is your elbow when you release?  In the past mine could be flopping around anywhere.  About two weeks ago I started collapsing it in toward my heart on the release.  This is only for overhanded styles.  At first it felt lazy/wrong.  It only took a couple of shots before I noticed a dramatic improvement in accuracy and a bit more power.  I suppose the accuracy comes from the fact that power is coming easier and my elbow is in the exact same place (as far to the left as possible)  every time I release, removing one variable.  
  Is this standard?  Does anyone else do this?  If not, give it a try.  It might help.  I'm off to youtube now to see if DM, pj, and a few others do it.

Rat Man

There was a time when I was really proficient with overarm, hammering my stones with a whip-crack. If I remember correctly, I actually did something quite similar. It made the sling take a really tight curve, getting those g-forces up for the stone.

Slinging rocks rocks.
turnerthebunny  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:43am

Just posted another video taken about a year ago.

In this Fig.8 I notice that the final position of the right elbow is fairly well over the central chest. Sorry, the initial backswing has been cut a bit and the picture quality is a little down as it was an overcast day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJut8_nK6GQ

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Hanbaal

Just another medieval
cyberpunk

Australia mate
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 6:23am

Rat Man wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 3:21pm:
Hanbaal wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 8:59am:

Yes, it seems like I get a bit more power if I don't unbend completely plus, I'm not a medical professional, but I'm pretty sure it's easier on your joints.

Yeah, you really dont want to be snapping your arm out. Hmm, i dont think theres anything where you should do that!

The Sling Awareness Viking says: ... ...

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:19pm

I think I have been pulling my elbow in for accuracy. I will report back on it.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:17pm

I have also delved into this, but find it best to not worry too much about specific body parts.  I find it best to focus on making the whole body move as smooth and economical as possible, and then hopefully elbows and all other body parts will be where they should be at the right time, without any flopping about. 
timann

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:39am

MY elbow is generally in the right place Smiley
Having had it hammered into me - sometimes quite painfully for the last 10 years - 'keep your elbow in ! ' by my tai chi teacher, I'm guessing it's where it ought to be.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 11:53am

It's interesting that you should mention that, c_a.  Probably martial arts training is what gave me the idea to try it.  I took Taekwondo prior to my army days and once in the service I took a hodgepodge of styles.  In any case martial arts could very well be where the notion, at least for me, came from. 
   My daughter is about to start Tai Chi.  It sounds very interesting from her description.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 12:05pm

I agree with timann. Concentrating on single body parts would confuse me more than it would help. I try to get an acceptable "holistic" action. Personal taste, surely.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)