Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sharpening stones (Read 7230 times)
cronk70
Tiro

woof woof pant pant awooooooooo!!!!!!

Sharpening stones
Oct 28th, 2009 at 5:23pm

what do u use to sharpen your knife's? (and please don't just put "a stone" Angry)

throwing a stone by hand when there's a sling in your pocket is like wiping your a*se with your hand when there's toilet roll right next to you.&&-----------------------------------------------------------&&men of tanith, do you want to live forever?&&&&he couldn't hear an answer over the pounding rain.&&&&he didn't need to.&&&&an extract from "the saint" a gaunt's &&ghosts omnibus"

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: Sharpening stones
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 6:31pm

it depends on the knife. for most of my steel knives, i have a whet stone with fine grit on one side and a little coarser on the other. for axes and machettes i use my grinding wheel, and for stone bladed knives i just pressure flake a new edge.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:28pm

"...and for stone bladed knives i just pressure flake a new edge."
Jeez! 

paleoarts, I have a couple of stone blades that I have found over the years and wonder if they also can be reflaked?

cronk70, my sharpener has three composite stones: rough, medium and fine. Usually only use the medium and fine and then finish with a piece of what looks and feels like marble.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:34pm

of course. if they were knapped to begin with....

check out youtube for any number of tutorials on pressure flaking.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 10:03pm

I have found that an india oil stone works best for in almost all knife sharpening--of course with a sufficient amount of light oil

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:22am

After coarse/fine wetstone I strop my knifes (at least the ones I want wicked sharp...). I use an old leather belt of which the buckle broke, put a wax with buffing compound on it. If you have your knife sharpened like this only restropping is enough to keep your knife sharp for a pretty long time.
Really dislike powered tools for sharpening, too much danger of screwing up the temper on your edges.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:29am

Whetstone (Arkansas stone), Diamond impregnated metal stones, crock stick, coffee mug, strop, jewelers rouge,
automotive buffing compound, wet'n'dry sandpaper with glass plate ... depends on the blade I'm sharpening and how sharp I want it to be. For a quick and dirty my go-to tool is the coffee mug.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 1:09pm

I have one of those big setups with three increasingly-fine Arkansas stones on a triangular block..You just flip 'em over to change.

I use that for serious re-sharpening or establishing a good edge. 

For touch-ups I have a big old butcher's "steel" about a foot long...Does a terrific job.

IP Logged

cronk70
Tiro

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 6:07pm

first of all ty for the tips Grin

second im trying to find as many different types of sharpners as possible (oh and i havent got the cash to spend on a fancy dimond one or sumthing like that
Embarrassed)

oh and how do u use a coffe mug?
thanks again Grin  Cheesy Grin

throwing a stone by hand when there's a sling in your pocket is like wiping your a*se with your hand when there's toilet roll right next to you.&&-----------------------------------------------------------&&men of tanith, do you want to live forever?&&&&he couldn't hear an answer over the pounding rain.&&&&he didn't need to.&&&&an extract from "the saint" a gaunt's &&ghosts omnibus"

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 8:28pm

You need to find one with a "raw" bottom surface, that hasn't been glazed.   The unglazed ceramic works quite nicely.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:12pm

What Bikewer said.   The unglazed ring in the bottom of the cup acts like a circular crock stick.
Find mugs with different textures and you have grades of abrasive from coarse to very fine.

P.S. Don't do this with "Mom's" fine china cups as this will leave gray metal deposits on the cup.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

B.cereus
Descens

de la tierra al cielo

Florida
Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:57pm

Check out the Lansky sharpening system, about $20

“So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him…….”1 Samuel 17:50-KJV
IP Logged

cronk70
Tiro

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:53pm

what fine china? lol Grin

and thanx for the tips.
i went down to the beach and found a brick sized pice of sandstone would that be any good?

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 8:30am

For basic all around sharpening, I'd recommend a Norton Coarse/Fine stone.  You can get them as India (aluminum oxide) or as Crystalon (silicon carbide) for the coarse side.  The fine side is India.  These are trade names for Nortons particular blend of aluminum oxide and silicon carbide.  It takes some practice, but you can get an edge that will split a hair held between your fingers with just this stone.  I used the stone dry, but oil is recommended.

If you want that extra bit of crazy to your edges, then get a strop and some green honing compound (chromium oxide), or go to a wood working store and get a pack of 0.3 micron (thats about 15000 grit) honing films and stick them to a flat piece of wood.  A pack has 3 films and I've been using the same one for the last year or so.  A pack is ~$4.  I like them a lot if you cant tell.  Its expensive, but you can also find diamond lapping powder and use it on your strop.  It goes to 0.25 micron, maybe finer. 

If you want to experiment, various grits of sandpaper work pretty well, and you can get a hair shaving edge off 600 grit wet/dry paper.  A $5 hardware store coarse/fine stone works, but they wear quickly and the edge is a little rougher than the Norton stones.  Sandstone was used a while ago (1800s) for coarse stones.  I dont know how it is for fine finishing.  I've never been able to get good results with a coffee mug or steel, but others swear by both.  You can try water stones as well.  They do not work dry, but can be found in grits finer than 10000 and as coarse as 120.  If you have some of the modern, high alloy tool steels or stainless steels, diamond may be the way to go.  If not, any of the above, except maybe sandstone, will work to some degree.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 4:29am

Selfish spammer reported

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)