Sharpening stones (Read 7233 times)
slinger87
Funditor

I bet I can throw a rock
farther then you can!

MI
Re: Sharpening stones
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 9:03pm

I have a nice 3 stone sharpening set and it has coarse, medium and fine, and that will get all but one of my knives sharp,most sharp enough to shave hair, and the one that it wont sharpen I've never gotten sharp. I use a grinder or a file on my hatchet, my dads splitting maul, and when I finally get one, an axe.

when in dought, sling a rock a his head, if you miss, well, good luck!
T_skater_punk_16@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Sharpening stones
Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 12:52pm

It seems that almost everyone uses a slightly different technique with a whetstone.  I've found that if I go as slowly as possible, with a good amount of pressure, I can feel when there's the proper amount of resistance/friction.  I can't imagine going quickly and getting this same good feel.  I can usually get my knives sharp enough to dry shave with using this method.  Of course a good light oil is essential. 
   I've never had a stone knife, though I may buy one from paleoarts.  How often would it have to be pressure flaked under normal usage?  Does the edge last nearly as long as a steel knife?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)