Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Where are the slings in Historical movies? (Read 57866 times)
TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Where are the slings in Historical movies?
Sep 18th, 2009 at 7:05pm

Seems like when you watch a period piece about the Greeks or Romans you see a bunch of archers but never any slingers. From what I've read most of the armies had as many slingers as archers and used em' both quite a bit. I did see a movie about Sodom and Gomora years ago where Abraham(or maybe it was Lot) had slingers but I've not seen much lately. Any other good movies with slingers in it.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Where are the slings in Historical movies?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 8:03pm

because nobody thinks of slings any bit. and since Disney does most of them even if their were slings they would be sling shots with the surgical tubing and stuff.

it''s probably because their power is underestimated so much that barely anybody thinks pf them. if they do they assume that their useless toys or something like that. and most of the movie directors only have to rip off and make a twisted version of a book, then look col in their french artist caps and megaphones. nobody in the film service thing is even close to smart, i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even have archers any more

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:41pm

I watched "300" last night, no slingers, plenty of archers. I'm watching "Troy" tonight, no slingers, plenty of archers. Both should have slingers since they were in wide use during both times.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:16am

'Hysterical' movies are made for entertainment not for teaching history. Historical accuracy is fairly coincidental. Quite possible the producers didn't even know that the ancients used slings. Even if they did, bow shooting extras are much easier to find and look a whole lot sexier; bows in - slings out.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 3:14am

Also, because of the "low" and "dishonorable" status given to slingers of the time, they usually were not given much credit in things.
Movies tend to concentrate on the flashiness of swordplay, because it just looks better on screen. Not many audiences would be thrilled with seeing people lob rocks, but bring out a sword and shield, and you have their undivided attention.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 5:17am

There are slingers in Alexander, briefly.

One difficulty would be training your extras to use a sling convincingly, when real slingers are so rare.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:35am

There is at least one mounted (!) slinger in the Cannae chapter of a TV production on Hannibal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKw98Hs4sDk&feature=PlayList&p=6C4C9E5406CE3B80&i...

Though I generally liked the film more than many other "hystericals", I find it sad that slingers do not have a more prominent (and more realistic) role in it.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 7:37am

Quite difficult, generally, to show what an ancient battle looked like-- typically, lines of men run at each other, then mingl in a swirling melee-- whereas the point of a battle, before e.g. 1914, is that blocks of men stay together.

But slings, also, in an Italian movie on the Gallic Wars (not sure of title)

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 9:07am

I'll have to check out "Alexander" again when it comes on TV. Seems like with all out computer tech. we could come up with something in the movies today.
Of course you have to understand something about me, I like accuracy in movies(I know, wishful thinking,LOL) and I really hate to see a '73 Colt Peacemaker in the hands of guys during the Civil War and believe it or not a lot of older movies did just that. It would be kind of like watching a War Movie about Korea and seeing a guy with an M-16, it just wouldn't happen.  There are enough History books out there that people who make movies should at least try to get things right and slingers were in many of the battles "back in the day" and to leave em' out just isn't showing History in the right light.
So can we try to come up with a list of movies with slingers in em'?

"Sodom and Gomorrah" 1962(slingers)
"Alexander" 2004(possible slingers)
Others???

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:32pm

We had a thread about that a while ago. Slings crop up in all sorts of odd places: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1237077816/0

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:54pm

Fundibularius wrote on Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:35am:
There is at least one mounted (!) slinger in the Cannae chapter of a TV production on Hannibal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKw98Hs4sDk&feature=PlayList&p=6C4C9E5406CE3B80&i...

Though I generally liked the film more than many other "hystericals", I find it sad that slingers do not have a more prominent (and more realistic) role in it.

Im impressed they actually showed proper color of skin in the movie. So many historical movies from Hollywood have an all white cast.   
  I won't even mention Orson Welles portaying Othello in blackface.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 2:27pm

Thearos wrote on Sep 19th, 2009 at 7:37am:
But slings, also, in an Italian movie on the Gallic Wars (not sure of title)

Could it be "Vercingetorix" with Christopher Lambert in the title role Lips Sealed?

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 2:38pm

slingbadger wrote on Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:54pm:
[Im impressed they actually showed proper color of skin in the movie. So many historical movies from Hollywood have an all white cast.  
 I won't even mention Orson Welles portaying Othello in blackface.

Smiley Or Anthony Quinn, who played a member of almost any ethnic group on the planet (except Icelanders, I guess, but I'm not sure).

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 3:08pm

I watched that Alexander movie on DVD once, just to see that slinging.  It lasted just a couple of milliseconds.  And the movie was horrible, in my opinion.  But then, I had it on fastest possible forward as much as possible, to save myself the grief.  But, just to say it, the much-mentioned "man-love" witch bothered so many back then, was really not an issue at all, the way I see it.  It was more the fact that the shoved just the army between the battles, and the planning of the battles, and a lot of talking,but almost never the battles themselves.  And when they did, it was unclear and "artsy"  and "dreamy".

Most movies and Discovery/History stuff showing  Roman legions has legionairs in one-on-one combat against those barbarians.  Supposedly that was exactly how they did NOT fight.  Due to their strict punishment system it was supposedly better to keep your place in the rank and die a horrible death, than breaking rank and survive.
timann

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:30pm

Hey Fundibularius--

No, it's not the Christophe Lambert movie (which looked horrible). I saw, ca. 1982, a French documentary, called "Les Grandes Batailles de l'Histoire" or "du passé"— on Alesia. The talking heads were interspersed with scenes from a movie, and I think it was Italian, for some reason (it was probably credited at the end).

And there is a very good scene with slingers: Gauls charge, line of Balearic slingers waits, then they start swinging these HUGE slings, then all release at the same time. (And then, for some reason, pull swords and wade in to the close range fight, which seems wrong to me)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus)