Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to sling Helicopter style (Read 17891 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: How to sling Helicopter style
Reply #15 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 11:01am

It was on a tripod  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 12:40pm

Of course.  Duh!  I should have figured.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:07pm

I've never really liked using Helecopter style. It's not like I have a problem with others who use it though. I just never found it..... natural.... feeling. Tongue

The only style I use often that involves repeated twirls is the Balearic style. In my honest opinion, it feels more... natural to me.
(If you haven't tried it, then try it out. That way you can find out if you like it or not yourself. Cheesy )

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:46pm

what exactly is Balearic style?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:16pm

I would say (opinion alert!) that it has a few windups done behind/to the side before a sidearm throw. The windup spins often lift up to the final throwing angle, either over several spins or on the last rotation.

The master of the Balearic throw has to be Luis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7EOspW594
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:48pm by David Morningstar »  

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:54pm

oh, that's my favorite style lol. kill 2 birds with one (sling)stone

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:50pm

it was on a tripod, camera was on high zoom - tennis ball came nowhere near me (and did you miss the part where I stood in a field and had larry bray sling real missiles at me ?) no time to react indeed !
lol

Quote:
Because there are a lot of helicopter haters out there,

who do you mean lol

Nice tut - but you could jaut have said; 'whirl it round your head and at some point let go' Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 2:12pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:50pm:
Nice tut - but you could jaut have said; 'whirl it round your head and at some point let go' Smiley

Pfffft.... what do you know about slinging styles, Comanche-boy?  Tongue

IP Logged

Khalazar
Tiro

Accidentially destroying
other people's property

Switzerland!
Reply #23 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 2:32pm

I don't like helicopter. Of course, it is powerful as any other technique when used with proper training. However, in this training phase, the stone can go pretty much everywhere until you get a feeling for it...

Slinging rocks rocks.
turnerthebunny  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 4:20pm

Hi, Khalazar;
    That's a good point.  Other than spooking game when hunting, that's the only real drawback to the helicopter style that I can think of.  With an underhanded style if your projectile gets away from you at least it'll just go in a straight line, either in front of or behind you.  A run away helicopter shot can go anywhere. 
   I use the helicopter style sometimes but as I become more skilled and learn more styles that may change.

Rat Man

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 4:31pm

David Morningstar wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:16pm:
I would say (opinion alert!) that it has a few windups done behind/to the side before a sidearm throw. The windup spins often lift up to the final throwing angle, either over several spins or on the last rotation.

The master of the Balearic throw has to be Luis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7EOspW594

I like the Balearic style a lot and it would probably be my main style in that it feels very natural and powerful to me, but...  I can't use it because it tends to catch the dog's leashes.  They are almost always in tow when I sling, as most of you know.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 11:13pm

Helicopter was my one and only style. Now i'm a figure 8 guy. Course, I didn't throw like DM on his vid. I used to get right into spinning a rock over my head - directly overhead - and when the mood struck, I would let 'er rip. Today I tried just two rotations and throwing on the third and twirling more behind me and throwing through the center and letting go of the release cord when I didn't notice any drag from the stone (whew!), but it was a miserable failure. I really just wanted to helicopter until I was damned good and ready to let go.
Some habits are pretty hard to break, but i'm going to keep at it cause it is a good threatening/menacing style. Especially if you are good with mean facial expressions! It's kinda like pulling your vest open to let your opponent know you are carrying a .44.  The fig 8 is over and done with in just a few seconds. A concealed weapon at the poker table. No warning...

walter 

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 7:12pm

Quote:
Pfffft.... what do you know about slinging styles, Comanche-boy?  Tongue

lol enough not to keep making up indian or historical civilisation styled names Wink
I mean byzantine style ? Why not the gondwana land twirl or the Ur & Lagash backspin special ?

And I'm pretty sure I've read more westerns than anyone else on this forum - no evidence that commanches used slings that I recall.
Knives, hatchets, bows, guns, counting coup, eating dog (hence the term for the elite warriors: dog soldiers) yes - slings, not so much.
And fictional westerns are easily as good and accurate a source for sling style names as anything else Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:01pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
Lol enough not to keep making up indian or historical civilisation styled names Wink
I mean byzantine style ? Why not the gondwana land twirl or the Ur & Lagash backspin special ?

Don't forget the Lemurian Pitch (Those darn Apaches ripped this one off of them.)  Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:32pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
Quote:
Pfffft.... what do you know about slinging styles, Comanche-boy?  Tongue

lol enough not to keep making up indian or historical civilisation styled names Wink

And I'm pretty sure I've read more westerns than anyone else on this forum - no evidence that commanches used slings that I recall.
Knives, hatchets, bows, guns, counting coup, eating dog (hence the term for the elite warriors: dog soldiers) yes - slings, not so much.
And fictional westerns are easily as good and accurate a source for sling style names as anything else Wink

Still have to do a demo of the Patagonian contra-rotational. At my age the consequences would be immaterial.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)