Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How to sling Helicopter style (Read 17888 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
How to sling Helicopter style
Sep 9th, 2009 at 4:14am

Because there are a lot of helicopter haters out there, this is how you do it properly:

Stand sideways on to the target with your throwing arm extended directly away from the target, elbow bent to raise the hand.

Hold the loaded pouch with your other hand towards the target so the cords pass over your head.

With the pouch hand, pull the pouch sideways and release it into a horizontal spin. Use a twirl of the throwing arm to put more energy into the spin.

The pouch now spins horizontally above your head. Use only your wrist to maintain the spin, dont use your whole arm. Its like stirring a cup of coffee, not stirring a pot of stew. Relax your arm, rotate your wrist.

Make sure the center of the circle is behind you. A common beginner error is to try and make your head the centre of the circle. This makes the throw very weak. Get your elbow back behind you and spin with the wrist.

Dont try to put lots of energy into the spin. Another common beginner error is to try and spin as fast as possible. Use only enough spin to keep the pouch horizontal. Any more than that is a waste.

Start a count of the spins as they cross in front of you. The count is 'One.... two.... THROW!'

When you throw, stop rotating your wrist and drive your hand straight towards the target. It is vital that the throw is straight. It is not a bigger spin, or a faster spin, or any kind of spin at all. You are throwing the center of the circle from as far back as possible straight towards the target.

During the throw you will feel a surge of centrifugal force as the pouch whips around behind your hand. It pulls back against your throw. When this surge dies away, let go of the release cord.

As the open sling whips around in front of you, use your free hand to grab the retention cord a short distance from your throwing hand. Pull the sling through your free hand until you reach the pouch.

With your throwing hand, take your next ammo. Bring the ammo to the open pouch. Use your pouch hand to fold the pouch around the ammo and hold it.

With your throwing hand take the dangling release cord and slide it through your grip until you reach the knot. You are now ready to throw again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GXkmT7eJFo

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 9:13am by David Morningstar »  

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: How to sling Helicopter style
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:07am

Great description David!
I just wanted to add that mastering greek horizontal style makes helicopter easy as 123 Wink

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:20am

Helicopter is a good style to teach beginners because of the 'One.... two.... THROW!' count. Knowing when to start the throw is what confuses a lot of people when they first try and this leads to wild shots. Releasing on the other side of the 'surge' ensures the shot goes forwards.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009 at 9:13am by David Morningstar »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 2:20pm

I honestly don't get what is supposed to be so bad about the Helicopter style.  To me it's just another style, no better or worse than a lot of them.  Granted I have much to learn, but at least to me the Helicopter style is OK.  
   Your description is excellent, DM..  There is only one thing that I would add.  This works for me anyway.  As you begin your release, shift most of your weight to your front (left for right handers) leg/foot.  I find that this helps with the power and even a bit with the aim.  Throwing off of your back leg kills power whether your throwing a ball or slinging. 

Rat Man

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 3:39pm

great description, David. okay, i'll admit it, i'm one of those 'helicopter' haters. hate is a strong word, though. let's just say that i'm not a huge fan. i don't doubt the effectiveness of the style once mastered, it's just that i think its drawbacks outweigh its advantages. it's probably because i hunt with my sling and if i ever tried to use this style i'd never bag anything. using a sling to hunt is hard enough without scaring game with a twirling style. single stroke overhand, underhand, or sidearm styles are the order of the day when it comes to fast, nervous critters. now, warfare is a totally different story. helicopter might even be an advantage when squaring off with an enemy. that stone seen buzzing around in a circle over the head of David 'Madman' Morningstar would certainly make me think twice about mixing with him!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:46pm

Rat Man wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 2:20pm:
I honestly don't get what is supposed to be so bad about the Helicopter style.  To me it's just another style, no better or worse than a lot of them.  Granted I have much to learn, but at least to me the Helicopter style is OK.  
  Your description is excellent, DM..  There is only one thing that I would add.  This works for me anyway.  As you begin your release, shift most of your weight to your front (left for right handers) leg/foot.  I find that this helps with the power and even a bit with the aim.  Throwing off of your back leg kills power whether your throwing a ball or slinging.  

Rat Man

This is definitely my experience also. IMHO slinging is largely merely improved throwing so any technique which applies to throwing will also apply to slinging.

Watch a slomo of a baseball pitcher. His hand actions will be almost exacty the same as those of a good Fig.8 slinger.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 7:48am

I love the figure-8, but then I love slinging period.  I regularly use all slinging styles, you never know when you'll be in an area that you can't use your favorite.  Helicopter is a fun style, and I find my accuracy with it is not bad.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 2:17pm

I will readily agree that Helicopter style would be absolutely lousy for hunting and useless on thin woods paths.  For target shooting or just letting them fly in an open area it's OK

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 2:22pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:46pm:
Rat Man wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 2:20pm:
  Your description is excellent, DM..  There is only one thing that I would add.  This works for me anyway.  As you begin your release, shift most of your weight to your front (left for right handers) leg/foot.  I find that this helps with the power and even a bit with the aim.  Throwing off of your back leg kills power whether your throwing a ball or slinging.  

Rat Man

This is definitely my experience also. IMHO slinging is largely merely improved throwing so any technique which applies to throwing will also apply to slinging.

Watch a slomo of a baseball pitcher. His hand actions will be almost exacty the same as those of a good Fig.8 slinger.

Also watch an American style football quarterback.  When flushed out of the pocket and forced to throw off of his back leg his passes will always die in mid air, unless he's Brett Farve, who could, in his prime, throw well standing on his head while whistling Dixie.  He's still not terrible.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 8:14pm

Rat Man wrote on Sep 10th, 2009 at 2:22pm:
Also watch an American style football quarterback.  When flushed out of the pocket and forced to throw off of his back leg his passes will always die in mid air, unless he's Brett Farve, who could, in his prime, throw well standing on his head while whistling Dixie.  He's still not terrible.

Too bad he's terrible at pronouncing his own last name!

I can't stand that they make the R sound clearly come before the V sound.  That's just not right.

I had a friend in high school named LeFebvre.  It ended up pronounced "LeFAY," essentially.
The French-style pronunciation of "vre" is difficult to describe; it's almost like the word dies off into silence.  Surly "FARVE" is not correct, though.  Somewhere through the ages, the Favre family forgot how to pronounce itself.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 11:52pm

Thank you for the tutorial! After years of wild slings, it's nice to learn how. I've come to use a modified, "Start like a helicopter, end up vertical" sling, and consistently fire off to the right (I'm a lefty).

My brother in law uses this kind of goofy looking underhand, and actually gets pretty good accuracy and power out of it.

Go figure.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 3:39pm

Another video. Me slinging a tennis ball at C_A behind the camera. I may be biased here, but I think its rather awesome  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikC0Q9m8O8

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 4:05pm

Now that is a slinging video.  For a moment there I asked myself; Where did that tennis ball go?  Then it became obvious Smiley
timann

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #13 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 3:11am

like i said, MADMAN! absolutely terrifying!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:54am

It's amazing that c_a was able to keep the camera so still with that coming at him.  Maybe he didn't have time to react.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)