Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Tell the stories of a slings you've given away (Read 13936 times)
peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Tell the stories of a slings you've given away
Aug 28th, 2009 at 8:23pm

Speaking of where people got their slings, tonight I gave a seatbelt baseball sling away to an acquaintance at work.  He's an extremely large black guy (probably around 300-something pounds, a little like a less-dumpy Refrigerator Perry), and the nicest, kindest, gentlest guy you could meet.  Amazing cartoon artist, too, and big into comic books as well.  He wears a muslim head-covering (kinda like a large yarmulke) and wears a lot of stylish (but XXXL) clothes.  (Once, he stunned me by having a shirt on whose sleeve buttons were TINY MONKEY'S FISTS!--I even took a picture of them!)  This guy has a great sense of humor, too.  We've never really been friends outside of work, but at work, we get along well.

I even gave him a baseball to go with the sling, and he was thanking me profusely for the setup when he left tonight.  I gave him a brief in-office "lesson" about how to throw, but pretty much told him to "check youtube," and offered to get together with him out of work some time to work on slinging.  I do hope that he takes me up on it--I have never really tutored anyone on slinging before, and it would be fun, I'm sure, to be out afield with someone else instead of being so danged solitary.

I know that a number of people here have made a very frequent practice of giving slings away.  Tell us about the more memorable ones.  And even if you've given but one sling away (I've given a few, but not a lot) let's read about it. Cheesy

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Re: Tell the stories of a slings you've given away
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 9:10pm

Cool!

Just remember to teach him using tennis balls! Ive been hit a few times by beginners already, it seems that, where ever you stand, the slinger will accidentally hit you!  Wink

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:19pm

I have given slings to.

1. About 10 boys who live in my neighborhood(under 12 years old)

2. My Regional Manager and his 7 year old son.

3. The guy who I get my paracord from and his son.

4. The guy who cuts my hair.

5. A customer of mine who owns about a whole city block of shops in out downtown area.

6. A guy who owns a MMA dojo, I now have an open invitation to go train there for free, they are also interested in my teaching them how to sling. I have not gotten too far with that yet.

7. The local Marine recruiter and a few Marines.

8. Five police officers, who have gone out slinging without me, but are interested in learning more about it.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are a few more though.

They all have PJ slings as that is the only kind I can make with any kind of proficiency.

I vote now that Aussie can't post in this thread, I don't think he can fit his list in the 10,000 character limit. Grin

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:41pm

That is an awful lot of PJ slings to have made.  Unbelievable!!  I can't bring myself to spend that kinda time on them.  I have maybe half a dozen of them, maybe a few more than that.  Lately I don't even use them because I'm using seatbelt slings with baseballs.  (My PJ slings can't handle baseballs.  Do you have any that feasibly could?)

Of all of those people, are any of them now regular or semi-regular (and proficient) slingers?

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:51pm

wow, thats impressive pancakes!

I would jump on the offer of free training straight away!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 7:32am

ilovepancakes wrote on Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:19pm:
I vote now that Aussie can't post in this thread, I don't think he can fit his list in the 10,000 character limit. Grin

Even though I have mailed out several hundred pouches and some complete slings I haven't actually given away all that many in person.

Several to kids who have been curious enough to ask me about slinging when I've been slinging in public places. A couple to dog owners who specifically wanted them to throw balls for their dogs. Some to my daughter's school friends and a couple to workmates.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 9:15am

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:41pm:
That is an awful lot of PJ slings to have made.  Unbelievable!!  I can't bring myself to spend that kinda time on them.  I have maybe half a dozen of them, maybe a few more than that.  Lately I don't even use them because I'm using seatbelt slings with baseballs.  (My PJ slings can't handle baseballs.  Do you have any that feasibly could?)

Of all of those people, are any of them now regular or semi-regular (and proficient) slingers?

As everybody knows seatbelt sling construction is still beyond my capabilities for one reason or another. I can however make a preety decent PJ sling. During the course of a normal week I end up making 3 or 4. With a 7 inch pouch it takes me about 45 mins. at the top end. My expierience with baseballs is very limited, a 6 1/2 inch pouch is a good size for tennis balls though.

I am at work all day today with nothing to do, I am going to braid up an 8 inch pouch and go buy a baseball and report back tonight PJ.

The boys in my neighborhood are split about 50/50, of the ones that do sling most are still using an underhand/sidearm variation.

They gentleman I receive my paracord from claims to sling at least once a week with his son. On Sunday we are going to the park with some tennisballs.

My Regionals son is the only boy in the neighborhood who knows how to do the Figure 8. Dad must of shown him because I didn't.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 9:49am

giving away my first sling soon- probably some other time or if we have class together in middle school (whenever i remember the sling to give to him the stitches pop or something)

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 5:08pm

I´ve given slings to friends who requested them. I also gave one away to a Chachapoyan boy.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:13pm

Today a friend of mine met up to slinging in the woods and he brought his younger cousin who I let hold onto one of my slings. The kid has never slung before and I showed him a few different techniques and by the end of the day he was putting me to shame between his accuracy and power using a  simple/lazy throw..I was so amazed told him to keep the sling Smiley

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:27pm

Well, Jerryslinger, that's one way to go about giving away a sling!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 9:29pm

OK, I've given about a dozen away to the kids around here.  They ranged in age from around seven (tiny sling) to around twenty.  I gave a sisal Rockman sling to my friend Del.  He said his back and shoulder were to messed up to use it, so I gave him my shorter staff sling.  I gave away two bamboo staffs to a couple more of my young friends from the neighborhood to make their own staff slings.  Unfortunately, one broke and there's no more at the site where they're dumped at the present time.  I gave away a couple to my friend Patrick and one to another friend of mine, Stephanie.  She needs a new one though.  The first was a tape pouch sling and the tape must have been crappy because it sort of disintegrated.  I didn't list what sort of sling went to who because I don't remember... I usually give away what ever my extra sling is that I'm carrying at the time.  I always carry at least two, a long one and a short one.  I generally give away four different types of sling; Rockman, tape pouch, peacefuljeffrey, and tsss (three strand sheep shank).  The tsss slings I'll only give away to people I know are capable of using them like Patrick. 
    I'm in the process of making two nice, long jute Rockman slings for a friend and his buddy who want to  use them but are having trouble making good ones.  I've got the first one done and it's my best sling ever so far. 
   I'm sure there's more but I can't remember.  I like to promote my new favorite hobby. I don't spend a lot for the materials I use... some are given to me and the bamboo I find in the woods, probably dumped by a gardener.  I've said this before.. the only way to get better at making slings is to keep making them, and you can only have so many laying around before you start to look compulsive.  It doesn't make sense for me to sell them because they're hand made and take to long to make.  I couldn't ask what they're actually worth, so why bother.  It's much more fun to just give them away.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 9:37pm

JerrySlinger wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:13pm:
Today a friend of mine met up to slinging in the woods and he brought his younger cousin who I let hold onto one of my slings. The kid has never slung before and I showed him a few different techniques and by the end of the day he was putting me to shame between his accuracy and power using a  simple/lazy throw..I was so amazed told him to keep the sling Smiley

A couple of the kids around here, Mark, Austin, and a few others have amazed me.  They watched me sling a couple of times, visited slinging.org for a bit of info, then made their own and started slinging.  They asked for no help from me other than for some bamboo for staff slings.  They make slings for some of the other kids now.  They took to it much faster than I did and they're young teens.  They're just naturals I guess.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 10:14pm

I love giving away slings!  I gave away the first one I ever made actually... and the second one as well I think.  The first was a woven pouch sling by Cliff, a great little sling if you've never made one.  I gave it to a guy at work who was interested.  I figured I could always make another (which I did).  The second was a Cliff sling that I sewed a piece of leather into the middle of.  Gave that one to my brother.  Good times... probably given away twenty or so since then.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 10:54pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 30th, 2009 at 9:37pm:
JerrySlinger wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:13pm:
Today a friend of mine met up to slinging in the woods and he brought his younger cousin who I let hold onto one of my slings. The kid has never slung before and I showed him a few different techniques and by the end of the day he was putting me to shame between his accuracy and power using a  simple/lazy throw..I was so amazed told him to keep the sling Smiley

A couple of the kids around here, Mark, Austin, and a few others have amazed me.  They watched me sling a couple of times, visited slinging.org for a bit of info, then made their own and started slinging.  They asked for no help from me other than for some bamboo for staff slings.  They make slings for some of the other kids now.  They took to it much faster than I did and they're young teens.  They're just naturals I guess.  

That always happens. A little real life observation goes a long way. I gave a sling to a friend of mine's younger sister, she was 7. A month later she was as good as I was after a year. Probably better.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)