Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
something needs to be done about spammers (Read 5984 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
something needs to be done about spammers
Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:09pm

well i was thinking, something should be done about the spammer problem. i know the web sites budget isn't exactly too high, but we have C_A with computer skills though... so i was thinking if we could do something where someone is spammed by a moderator, the person will be banned from this site forever by doing something with the IP code (it happened to me once because i was to young to use meebo...) so either way it would be much better.

we could also use Captcha, it's that annoying thing on youtube that makes you type in what you see in those words that only a real person can see, and not a spam bot

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slinger87
Funditor

I bet I can throw a rock
farther then you can!

MI
Re: something needs to be done about spammers
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:03pm

yea, reporting spam isnt all that fun after about the millionth time.

when in dought, sling a rock a his head, if you miss, well, good luck!
T_skater_punk_16@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 12:43pm

we block ip addresses, we block email addresses (well I do)

The problem is that these are not spambots they are real people signing up for forum accounts, so none of the auto block things work.

I do go through new members and delete any obvious ones - but they're not all obvious till they post spam.

Any ideas are welcome

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 4:13pm

hey, maybe if we could make it so that they had to make one post on the new members thing before they can post anywhere else, just read. their likely to be dissuaded (unless their stupider then i thought), and go to an easier target

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:35am

well I suspect they'd just post spam first in the new members forum and then go and post it elsewhere.

keep thinking Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:30am

maybe we can't post large links? like links that can only go to one website or soemthing, and not those large spam-up-your-computer links?

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:35am

not sure that's practical - or even possible.

The problem is that currently, until they post, it's very hard to tell a spammer from a 'normal' member.

I do check all the new members and delete a fair number before they post - but I have to give some very odd email addresses the benefit of the doubt. It's a thin line between deleting spammers and deleting genuine members.

Given the timezone distribution of the slinging.org membership (and for our younger american members that means a lot of us Do Not Live in the states Smiley there is always going to be a point when a spammer appears and no mods are logged on.
Equally, given that aussie is 11 hours ahead of me and I'm 8 hours ahead of chris, we do have mods around at times that an all american website would not.

Why we get so many spammers I couldn't say. It might well be the international nature of the forum, or simply the fact that we're it as far as slinging goes on the web.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 4:21pm

nah, i don't care about what time they get deleted, just before they seriously mess up the site (unless it's a spam bot)

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:25am

Down with spammers!

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:25am

What is a spam bot?

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Captain Paul wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:25am:
What is a spam bot?

first off, thanks for the sling you sent me nearly a year ago, great sling it is, great sling...

as for a spam bot, their basically computer programs/viruses that are designed to post spam on stuff. the only thing is that a spam bot can become a god member in a few minutes Sad

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:29am

DAMMIT HE POSTED ON AN ANTI SPAM POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I EVER MEET HIM IN REAL LIFE... Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 5:50pm

This guy is prolific.  Also, it might just be me, but on the main forum page, where it has info on the latest post to the side of each category, it usually looks like this:

Yesterday at 8:46pm                 (date)
In: Re: introduction                   (thread)
By: Aussie                                (member)

But when it posts, it look like this:

Today at 2:51pm                       (date)
In: Did anyone hear of HYIP?      (???? part of it's post????  this was not the name of the thread)
By: Escasylap                            (member)

I have never noticed this before, but thats not to say that it hasn't happened.  Why is it like this?
Also, is this guy a bot of a person?  (For curiosity's sake, sorry if I'm meddling)  How can we get rid of it?
Personally, I think we should nuke the site from orbit... 

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 7:01pm

the "in" part is for newest post, and not newest thread reply

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 12:09pm

C_A,
Great work against the latest miserable b***d spamming the forum Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)