Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tutankhamen Sling Tutorial (Read 8368 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Tutankhamen Sling Tutorial
Reply #15 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 1:48pm

I will add to the gracious comments.  Thank you for contributing some very worthwhile content to slinging.org.

IP Logged

Blauwefox
Tiro

Metamorphically speaking,
schist happens ...

Calgary
Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:16pm

yay, another project to ward off winter blues  Cheesy

thanks for posting.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:17pm

Thanks for kind words! I'm always glad to hear when people find my tutorials useful.

Recently, I've been considering making a revised Tut sling tutorial, showing how to make a sling more like the original artifact (finer linen, larger number of warps, braided cords, etc), rather than just showing the basic method for the Tut pouch.

Is that something anyone would find helpful?

-Timothy

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 6:08pm

Timothy Potter wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 5:17pm:

-Timothy

Very! And maybe some advice on how to tighten the weft threads without breaking them.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Blauwefox
Tiro

Metamorphically speaking,
schist happens ...

Calgary
Reply #19 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:39pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 6:08pm:

-Timothy

Very! And maybe some advice on how to tighten the weft threads without breaking them.

Seconded!

You know, I'm experimenting with that Tut's sling pouch weaving method to make assorted other stuff too - scale it up to a portable tree swing for my lil niece

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #20 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 12:22am

Yeah but let me get this one done first.

Marc Adkins

Thanks for kind words! I'm always glad to hear when people find my tutorials useful.

Recently, I've been considering making a revised Tut sling tutorial, showing how to make a sling more like the original artifact (finer linen, larger number of warps, braided cords, etc), rather than just showing the basic method for the Tut pouch.

-Timothy

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:36am

winkleried wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 12:22am:
Yeah but let me get this one done first.

Marc Adkins

No worries, it takes a lot longer to make a tutorial than a sling, and it takes me even longer to get around to making a tutorial.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #22 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:01pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 6:08pm:

I assume you mean the warp threads, since those are the ones that are tightened after the weaving is finished. I'm not sure what advice to give, since I've never had the threads break on me, but it might depend on the material. I've made this type of pouch with linen and wool, but both were strong enough not to break; perhaps a thinner thread or yarn would, though. One problem I've encountered when weaving these pouches is to accidentally sew the weft through a warp thread, splitting the plys. When weaving with a needle without the aid of a loom with heddles, this is an easy mistake to make. This causes problems when you go to tighten the warp, because the warp won't be able to pull past the place where the weft is sewn through it. Once, I had to cut the warp of of the weft in this situation. Happily I was using a thick wool yarn, and there was enough strength in the part of the warp that wasn't cut to hold together, but I can envision the warp breaking in a similar situation. I know that this might be confusing since I don't have pictures to show what I mean, so if it doesn't make sense,  I can try to clarify it.

-Timothy Potter

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #23 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 7:56pm

Huh I've always tightened the weft...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Kette_und_Schu%C3%9F.jpg
The weft are the cords placed on the loom before weaving. After I weave the pouch there's always a little slack to work out, and by the end I usually end up snapping the weft cord somewhere. I've had 3 tut slings turn out well, but I can't even count how many I've ruined. At least 4x as many.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #24 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:24pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 7:56pm:
Huh I've always tightened the weft...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Kette_und_Schu%C3%9F.jpg
The weft are the cords placed on the loom before weaving. After I weave the pouch there's always a little slack to work out, and by the end I usually end up snapping the weft cord somewhere. I've had 3 tut slings turn out well, but I can't even count how many I've ruined. At least 4x as many.

I'm pretty sure that warp is the term what's put on the loom and weft is what's woven through it, but whichever it is, the problem is obviously how to avoid breaking it. One thing that I recently tried that might help a little is to tighten the thread from the middle, and work out to both ends, tightening a little on one side and then the other. This means that you have half as much slack to pull through at one time, and maybe that would help some by not putting as much stress on the thread. If nothing else, it seemed like an easier way to keep both halves of the pouch even. When I did this I used two separate threads for the warp and tied each onto the loom dowels, instead of starting the warp from the middle of a single thread like the tutorial shows.

-Timothy Potter

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:23pm

Been there, done that. Sad It may be the thread that I use...

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #26 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:55pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 2:23pm:
Been there, done that. Sad It may be the thread that I use...

What kind of thread is it?

One other idea I had would be to try weaving a little looser, so there would be less friction on the thread that is being tightened, but you may have already tried that.

-Timothy Potter

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #27 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:00pm

Harbor Freight Flax, mostly. I've used hemp, which is smoother, but it tends to be less uniform in diameter and harder to tighten. My next step is to buy linen rug warp similar to what you use and try weaving that.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #28 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:03pm

Oh Crud that was what I was going to use. Sad

Still a moot point until I can get the loom finshed. Real hard to build one when all of your hand tools are at the bottom of a stoarage shed. Sad. but with a little redneck engineering I managed to at least get the body built Smiley

Marc Adkins

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:00pm:
Harbor Freight Flax, mostly. I've used hemp, which is smoother, but it tends to be less uniform in diameter and harder to tighten. My next step is to buy linen rug warp similar to what you use and try weaving that.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #29 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 9:03pm

winkleried wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:03pm:
Oh Crud that was what I was going to use. Sad

Still a moot point until I can get the loom finshed. Real hard to build one when all of your hand tools are at the bottom of a stoarage shed. Sad. but with a little redneck engineering I managed to at least get the body built Smiley

Marc Adkins

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:00pm:

When I attempted a (cotton) Tut sling, I used two long watercolor paintbrushes tied to the legs on a chair I had laid on the ground. (The brushes were used to bridge the gap between the chair legs.)
I ran out of cord roughly halfway through the pouch, so I'm not sure if the end result would've been "pretty." Grin
It was a little user-unfriendly, but not so much that would prevent the rig from producing a sling from what I could tell.

Redneck rigs ftw Grin

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)