Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
retractable spike (Read 5015 times)
longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
retractable spike
Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:57pm

Does anyone have any ideas about making a staff or walking stick with a retractable spike? Or know of any sources that already make them.
Thanks
Oscar

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Re: retractable spike
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:01pm

i would be very interested to if anyone can explain a way to do it. it might help me too. for months ive wanted an assassins creed retractable wrist spike lol..i cant come up with a way to make it work though

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

adsi
Funditor

throwing rocks with slings

wales ,the land of dragons
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 6:13am

how about a spring mounted inside the staff with the spike attached

then push the spring in until you can no longer see it drill a hole and insert a pullpin

why are you reading my signature

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 12:16pm

Seems to me the USSR had something like that in the form of an umbrella. As the person walked by you, he "accidentally" swatted you with his umbrella. What he did was activate a spring in the tip, that pushed a needle into you. The needle injected a tiny metal ball that had a slow release dose of ricin, that would kill you several days later.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 12:25pm

have the spike heavy, and the inside tube light. just flick the staff, and the spike comes out. works sorta like those light saber toys

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 2:24pm

you can make it along the lines of a machine gun bolt. the spike would have a small bolt or handle attatched that stuck out the side. the cane would have a long groove or channel along the shaft and two short grooves at right angles, one at each end. flip the bolt up out of the short channel and the spike slides out. flip it down at the other end into the other short channel and it locks in place. add a spring inside to the back of the spike and you have your 'switch cane'!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Fëanor

Slinging rocks.

Stockholm, Sweden.
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 3:11pm

Make the bottom piece of the cane so you can twist the spike out easiest way to conceal the mechanism.
If you want to kick it up a number of notches make the knob twistable, but that requires a hollow cane with probably a metal rod inside.
Would give it weight for bashing too. Smiley

On the Swedish coast   With Russia in the distance Slinging at the bear. (4accord done it) "Mind must be firmer, heart the more fierce, courage the greater, as our strength diminishes."  The old warrior Byrhtwold during the battle of Maldon in 991 AD.

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:29pm

Thanks for all the ideas, I like paleoarts the best, using a rifle like bolt mechanism. I want it to use in conjunction with hunting with an eagle. You just never know what they may catch, and if it is a predator, there is a real danger from getting hurt by either critter. With a spike on the end of my stick I could control it without the danger of getting hurt too.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 10:57pm

Lowinger you hunt with an eagle? Wow. Wanna trade your bird for a rifle? You could use the bolt action for your staff. Grin

Actually, I was wondering if the mechanism from one of those spring-loaded stilettos would work. You know the kind where the blade comes out the front of the knife?

Personally, I'd like something like the vambraces the aliens wore in Aliens versus Predator. Nice long blades coming out!

K'Jev

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Typhon

Blue Mountains.NSW. Australia.
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 3:26am

Lowinger. Check your legalities mate.  Wink In Aus what your talking about comes under the swordstick and switch blade laws, in other words they're illegal as hell.
Having said that I'd suggest you find a narrow metal tube that the spring from a full sized auto opening umbrella will fit. Grind your spike so it has a shoulder that rests against the spring and a sear on the front of the shoulder that is held by a lever or button. Fit an end cap (with a central hole for the blade of course) to the tube to hold everything in place and fit the whole unit into the end of your stick, or just make a sword or dagger cane.
Perhaps one of those walking sticks with a screwoff handle could be modified by drilling out enough space for the blade then fixing the tang in the handle so that when you pull on the handle out comes the blade.  I don't recommend doing it though. It'll trip almost every concealed weapon rule in existence!! Shocked Typhon

Never point a loaded sling at something you don't intend to shoot.

IP Logged

Minispud
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:13pm

During the American Civil War the confederates made spring loaded pikes.
Here are some pictures
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133918072
It doesn't look too complicated, you might be able to make one.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:16pm

That isn't a pike, its a spear. Whoever made the site needs to do more research.

One option could be a simple spring loaded blade in a tube, which has a hole through the shaft. A pin is pushed through the hole, with the other end of the pin having a protrusion perpendicular to it, which rotates into a slot held by a one way hinge (really easy to make, just have it slightly higher than the protrusion with another piece that goes over the metal piece attached to the hinge). Getting the spike back in is trickier, but if you have the one way hinge door screwed in just un-screw it and take out the protrusion. Then screw it back in, pull out the pin, and press down the spring loaded blade.

The entire process of getting it out is pushing a button, then pushing and twisting a pin, which should be fast, which is critical. Getting the blade back in takes longer, but that is pretty much necessary.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 5:17pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar)