Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
elk hide sling build along (Read 33710 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Re: elk hide sling build along
Reply #60 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 4:28pm

I have the exact same type of jute!  Cheesy

IP Logged

NECURS

Silent & Deadly

BackWood's Nebraska
Reply #61 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 6:49pm

Et Cetera wrote on Mar 10th, 2010 at 4:28pm:
I have the exact same type of jute!  Cheesy

I'll bet you can find that Brand of Jute Nation Wide "Like Everything Else in This Country It's MADE IN CHINA ! All Except for the Fine Handcrafted American Made Sling's & Bow's & Knive's and TomaHawk's ! I'm going to try and find American Made Jute, I dont like Buying Chinese Made Product's,

NECURS&&BackWood's Nebraska&&Nebraska Mountain Cur's

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #62 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 9:56pm

These days EVERYTHING is made in China the world over.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #63 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 6:51am

If it's any consolation, the jute almost certainly comes from India or Pakistan, they contribute something like 95% of the total world production.

I don't think any significant amount of jute is either grown or spun in the U.S. or China, although China does grow some.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #64 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Some perhaps, but it's really perverse when Australian souvenirs, little toy koalas and the like, almost invariaby have a tag that says Made in China attached to them. (Nothing against the Chinese BTW. The quality of their manufactured goods has improved immeasurably over recent years.)

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #65 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 4:09am

The same here. Guess where most of the souvenirs from Wales were made. Okay, traditionally they have the dragon in common...

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

colejack3
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

tomball texas
Reply #66 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:46pm

does the sewing part just make the pouch cup? If so Im going to substitute that and cut slits in the leather to save me some sewing ( I stink at sewing lol) Thanks

Do not judge your neighbor  until you have walk two moons in his moccasins - cheyenne&&&&&&

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #67 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 10:43pm

Hmmmmmm nice tutorial, this should be added to the guides section.  I will probably be trying this soon, but I may wet shape the pouch instead, I am not sure about the ridges left inside the pouchfrom the sewing, wouldn't it be better to turn it inside out afterward so the ridges are on the outside?  Can you use west country whipping instead of a wrap?  
 I don't use release tabs or beads for a few reasons myself.  I used beads when I first started slinging, made of antler and maple.  But if you use them on a beach when you release the sling after an underhand, often the release cord will hit the ground at SOME point after the release, whether directly after or as it goes limp.  If you have  hollow bone or wooden bead it will eventually crack it.  The other reason is that the edges of the drilled hole wear through the cords with use.  I suppose it could be smoothed down, but still...  I have never tried a release tab, but I might try one of leather sometime, I just find  it kind of funny to go through the extra work just for that when a knot works fine, but it does look nice.  Oh, and not to sound like an ass, but the pouch you show in the pics isn't cut symmetrical... Roll Eyes Undecided
  Excellent tutorial, I have been looking at your slings for a bit, I thought you were just folding the end into a W shape and then inserting the braided cord with a knot in it and whipping over it like a seatbelt sling.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #68 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 10:51pm

Actually I think my grandmother invented the masking tape trick, I use it all the time, learned it from her.
Grin Grin  
 For leather I use mainly old purses, the leather comes in great thicknesses from those, certain parts of the purse are thick leather, others are thin, and you can get an old purse for about 1.50 and if you pick one with a woven or braided strap you get a nice load of long leather lacing to use.  The other plus is you can get wild colors like red, green and yellow, or any color of leather in a purse.  From a medium/large size purse I can make about 10 pouches for 1.50.  Just go to a thrift store and find a bin of purses, one of them has got to be leather, but be careful, leatherette is decieving sometimes and they will throw in say tassles made of real leather and then leatherette for the rest.  The problem with leather coats is that they are often of thin leather.  I also have used the bottoms of knapsacks, and you can get a little leather off of the palm of a workmitt, you can even buy those at the dollar store and get 2 or so pouches out of them if you get a good pair, and if you know a taylor you can buy leather knee and elbow patches.
   And no matter where you are you can always go yardsaling on friday and saturday (especially saturday,) and get purses, jackets, backpacks, boots, belts, etc. that way.  With a couple wide belts you can cut enough strips to braid an entire sling.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

abaddoneats
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #69 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:14am

I feel like I read somewhere that punching holes leads to tearing do u find that to be so? Also do you find that the seams alter the direction of your projectile in any way?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #70 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 7:05pm

If the holes are too large or the leather is too stiff, it can weaken the leather.

Also, it depends on how the leather is tanned, too.  If you have a soft supple leather, that is fairly thick, it should last for a long time.

You may want to avoid leather that dries hard or treat it with some form of oil to keep it supple.

IP Logged

abaddoneats
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #71 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 2:31am

Thnx I'll stuff that info in my back pocket

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)