Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Archaeological inquiry into Sling Projectiles (Read 9043 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Archaeological inquiry into Sling Projectiles
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:47am

Any references for Cunliffe on Maiden's Castle ? I only know the original publications (I think M. Wheeler ?)

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:23am

Thearos wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:47am:
Any references for Cunliffe on Maiden's Castle ? I only know the original publications (I think M. Wheeler ?)

Err... no Embarrassed

It looks like I conflated Danebury Ring and Maiden Castle in my recollection. Should have checked my memory first Sad

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 10:06am

Neander97 wrote on Jun 17th, 2009 at 7:18pm:
I wonder what there might be in the literature on the Spanish conquest of Peru that might deal with slingers . . . anyone have the source material close at hand?

The sling is mentioned in Prescott's "History of the Conquest of Peru".

He studied many of the original Spanish manuscripts in putting together his book. Much of what one reads in more recent books about the conquest seems to be lifted from his work. He cites the original manuscripts extensively.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 10:14am

wanderer wrote on Jun 17th, 2009 at 2:02pm:
This was spotted in the following thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1237975848/11#11
and there were some responses on that thread.

Mrboss, not everyone is interested only in throwing long distances. In the context of their experiments they would have been more interested in the distance people could comfortably throw.

It would not have been that dangerous standing downrange provided they kept their eyes open. Peruvians throw pretty big rocks and they were probably easily spotted, and could easily be dodged.

I think the results they obtained were interesting, and they did quote their 'raw data' which is rare, but I think their data reduction led to rather pessimistic conclusions about the ranges which might have been common in earlier times.

Thats probably one of the main reasons why they only reached 130 yds, because they have big rocks.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 4:56pm

That may be. They were also probably using slings smaller than yours, the one picture of a sling put it at maybe 3 feet pouch to knot, probably less. The ranges of the best slinger are pretty close to mine, and as the test was level it supports the idea that slings could be used defending hill top forts and the like. Not a bad test at all. That said, having people stand downrange is a bad idea, at the very least you want some sort of protective enclosure, much like the Mythbusters cube.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 9:22pm

Mr. Boss wrote on Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:52am:
They seem like smart college students, but they also seem to have a death wish. Heres a quote:  "members of the crew stood in
the area where the slingstone would impact. Though dangerous, it
is the only way to accurately observe the impact point of the
projectile". -  

Now thats one of the most dumbest things ive read in my life, theres no way you can see a stone from a sling coming toward you, and they would have most likely died.

College students. There's your problem.
Us archaeologist types like to get in the way of danger and be all Indiana Jones like, it's the only FUN way.  Grin
jk jk.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)