Send Topic Print
Kipling on slingers (Read 2375 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Kipling on slingers
Jun 15th, 2009 at 6:05pm

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/k/kipling/rudyard/limits/chapter19.html

(short story; read to end; not sure where Kipling got his idea that Balearic slingers could hit a charging bull's horns, but it sounds good)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Kipling on slingers
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:25pm

Quote:
‘Take the nuts,’ he said. ‘Tell me, is it true that those infernal Balearic slingers of yours can turn a bull by hitting him on the horns?’

‘On either horn you choose. My father farms near New Carthage. They come over to us for the summer to work. There are ten in my crew now.’

Thought I'd read all of kiplings works - but not seen that one before - thanks Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Excuse me, do you like Kipling?
I don't know I've never Kippled  Grin
Sorry, I can never resist the obvous classics.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 11:13pm

I'm with C_A on this one. Thanks for posting it

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:25pm:
Quote:
‘Take the nuts,’ he said. ‘Tell me, is it true that those infernal Balearic slingers of yours can turn a bull by hitting him on the horns?’

‘On either horn you choose. My father farms near New Carthage. They come over to us for the summer to work. There are ten in my crew now.’

Thought I'd read all of kiplings works - but not seen that one before - thanks Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)