Send Topic Print
Hunting (Read 37675 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Hunting
Reply #120 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:28pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 7:47pm:
As far as hunting hogs with just a knife...don't forget the pack of dogs that bayed the hog and the bulldog that has him by the nose holding him steady while our hero rushes in and stabs the hog.  

A 60 pound hog, killed with a sling while charging?  Why didn't he just wait and then kick him?  The little pig wouldn't have gotten back up very quickly after that either.  They aren't that tough when they are that size.  We used to keep hogs when I was younger, when I would go feed, they would swarm me.  One slammed into me and I kicked him.  Broke a front leg and some ribs, we ate that one early.  

FWIW, this winter, I plan to try small game hunting with a pouch of slightly larger than a golf ball clay glandes and a sling about 2/3rds of a meter long.
I figure that I will miss a lot and learn a lot.  I don't really think the squirrels and rabbits are going to be in any great danger, on the other hand, they aren't completely safe, either.  Bill
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I'd say it's about an even match.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #121 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:38pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:12pm:
Quote:
I can help you out of this dream; This lying bugger doesn´t know much about animal anatomy. Swines (just like horses cats and dogs) don´t have collar bones Grin

Depends on where he lives. Around the southern united states wild peccaries are also called javelinas or hogs colloquially. Javelinas have very small clavicles, though I imagine that the author is talking about the shoulder blade. They're long and thing in javelinas, and look like human collar bones.

I thought the wild boar was anatomically comparable to a pig, but you might be right.
I still call bullsh*t on the story though.... Wink

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #122 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:39pm

Oh, I do too. Earlier in this thread I mad a joke about slinging at a charging javelina because I don't think it's very practical. It may be possible, but any sane person would find a tree and start climbing.

American wild boars aren't necessarily the same as European wild boars. Most are escaped imported pigs that went feral, but in the Southwestern US and all throughout South America "wild boars" are an unrelated species closer to rodents that only look like wild boar.
Peccary
Boar

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #123 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 1:18pm

That't the first boarhog with t*ts that I 've ever seen.  Bill

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #124 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 1:58pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 23rd, 2011 at 1:18pm:
That't the first boarhog with t*ts that I 've ever seen.  Bill

Boars must have them, otherwise there wouldn't be the phrase "useless as t*ts on a boarhog." Grin All joking aside, that's a wild boar sow (boar means male domesticated pig, but applies to all wild pigs); though, because of the t*ts and the missing tusks.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)