Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modification to General Discussion. (Read 1574 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Modification to General Discussion.
Jun 12th, 2009 at 3:49am

Who agrees with me when I say we should allow a larger amount of threads to be visible on the first page of the General Discussion section?

Recent and posts made on the day in the general Discussion section switch to the second page which then makes it a little bit harder to check recent posts.

It would make the forum somewhat easier on our most active section and will possibly eliminate other possible problems we may get if and when our forum expands.

suggestions and oppositions welcome.

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Re: Modification to General Discussion.
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 9:08am

I don't see the need. If the first page shows all subjects with new posts it is not too difficult to check the next page also.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 1:40pm

In the past few months there has been what appears to me to be a huge increase in the number of postings per day.

Since I cannot spend all day glued to the forum, I make frequent use of the 'show last 10 posts' button (which as I'm sure most people know actually shows 20 posts). Recently this has become insufficient!

I try to confine my posts (mostly) to matters where I believe I have something relevent to contribute, but it is frustrating to find many of the posts to contain little.

I'm all for enthusiasm, but maybe a little more thought before some of these kinds of postings would help?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:46pm

Quote:
I'm all for enthusiasm, but maybe a little more thought before some of these kinds of postings would help?

It has always been so Smiley

Working on the principal that the average member only posts regulary for a few weeks - months at the most. A lot of repetition and drivel is inevitable.

But what is nonsense to one person might be what they are looking for for someone else.
So how do you (or I) decide what is rubbish and what is essential ?

Plus this is a very accomodating and frendly forum and we'd like to keep it that way. By instituting a no-crap policy we'd end up scaring off a lot of members befoe they ever go to the stage where they too were annoyed by the 'drivel'.

Much of the 'thoughtless' posts are by young members - and these are left in as a way to encourage such members.
Plus there is a social spect to the forum that I personally enjoy.

Okay it's never going to be perfect for all members - but we do try and make it as accessible as we can. I just don't see that putting  lot of restrictions on what you can post will help.
Members who stick around tend to not post too much junk (well apart from me - obviously Wink. And long term members are made by making new members feel welcome.

As far as more posts showing on the opening page - it's a matter of space. We keep the number of stickys as low as possible, but an a site as active as this there will always be a lot of turnover on the front page of the most used section.
As lycurgus saYS - how hard is it to turn the page ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)