Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
the Hoopack (Read 17084 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Re: the Hoopack
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:23pm

They were good, Cronk, and I collected them, until Weis & Hickman opened up the universe and everyone, their dog, sheep, chicken, cat, and parakeet wrote a trilogy. I just couldn't afford it, and some of them weren't that great.

Kaz, the Minotaur, however, will always be my favorite.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 8:24am

You are lucky to have had Young Reader books that you could enjoy.
When I was a kid we didn't have written words, all we had were crude drawings on the cave walls. Kinda like today's cartoons. And talk about taking your books home, they were the home.

Heck, we barely even had a spoken language, just a bunch of monosyllable grunts. Sometimes we couldn't tell if Dad was chewing us out for something or just clearing his throat.
He was always chewing on something; dinosaur, mostly.  You want to know what really killed the Dinys? It was Dad, Og, the great hunter.
Dad was old-school. You know; like pre-fire. OMG, he made vacations a nightmare. We would be on the path for hours and Dad would want to stop for a bite so we’d pull into the first Broto’s we’d see and before the girl could take our order, Dad would be gnawing the legs off someone’s transportation.

Reading, so easy even a dymythyopod can do it.

ChuckRocks

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

quepy

Avoiding property damage
since 2009!

California
Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:04am

I like DnD.  I hate Kender.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 6:44pm

ChuckRocks wrote on Aug 26th, 2009 at 8:24am:
You are lucky to have had Young Reader books that you could enjoy.
When I was a kid we didn't have written words, all we had were crude drawings on the cave walls. Kinda like today's cartoons. And talk about taking your books home, they were the home.

Heck, we barely even had a spoken language, just a bunch of monosyllable grunts. Sometimes we couldn't tell if Dad was chewing us out for something or just clearing his throat.
He was always chewing on something; dinosaur, mostly.  You want to know what really killed the Dinys? It was Dad, Og, the great hunter.
Dad was old-school. You know; like pre-fire. OMG, he made vacations a nightmare. We would be on the path for hours and Dad would want to stop for a bite so we’d pull into the first Broto’s we’d see and before the girl could take our order, Dad would be gnawing the legs off someone’s transportation.

Reading, so easy even a dymythyopod can do it.

ChuckRocks

Grin

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

cronk70
Tiro

woof woof pant pant awooooooooo!!!!!!

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 1:10pm

i must admit iv only red the first three and test of the twins. not a good roll modle eh? Grin

and as for quepy yay and boo (in that order)

throwing a stone by hand when there's a sling in your pocket is like wiping your a*se with your hand when there's toilet roll right next to you.&&-----------------------------------------------------------&&men of tanith, do you want to live forever?&&&&he couldn't hear an answer over the pounding rain.&&&&he didn't need to.&&&&an extract from "the saint" a gaunt's &&ghosts omnibus"

IP Logged

quepy

Avoiding property damage
since 2009!

California
Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 4:17am

Hear me out on this one: the Kender represents the inner child in people.  This offers good traits for adventurers like curiosity, enthusiasm, and appreciation of even mundane phenomena.  But there's also plenty of bad traits to go along with it that tip the scale toward the negative like a ton of lead.  

It's like trying to conduct a commando raid with an 5 year old.  More often than not, they're a huge liability that requires babysitting.  They steal your stuff without you knowing and therefore that piece of your gear is gone when you need it most.  If you make it out alive to confront them about it, the Kender will get all indignant, cry a little, and evoke sympathy from the rest of the party, making you look like the bad guy for picking on the poor little misunderstood Kender.  And chances are the predicament you got into that required the gear was the Kender's fault as well.  

For obvious reasons, nobody trusts them in any civilized town, and merchants absolutely despise them.  So why would a team of mercenaries that relies on each other for their very survival ever go adventuring with a Kender?  They're tricky little people that "borrow" without permission, require constant supervision, and never grow out of immaturity.

Like, picture this: there's a muscular and imposing warrior in gleaming armor, covered with scars and various weapons standing next to a powerful priestess with the power to channel energy from the gods to heal the sick and wounded in an instant.  With them is a renowned sorcerer who--with a hand motion--could obliterate half the town.  And the fourth member of this elite group is... a little kid?  Hey, I think he just stole your coin purse, weren't you carrying your grocery money in there?  Looks like someone's going hungry tonight! 

There's nothing "cute" about Kender when you're plummeting down a cliff and some Tasselhoff wannabe has stolen your ring of Feather Falling.  Playing a Kender is just an excuse for a player to be obnoxious and kill the party.  I hate Kender, case closed.

The hoopack could be an interesting experiment, but don't expect me to go LARPing as a Kender with it.

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 6:11am

Kender; from Kinder, the German word for children.

You guys make me glad I never read any of the serries.

wizard.gif (8 KB | )
wizard.gif

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #22 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:02pm

I made a hoopak today in the woods with curious_aardvark and slingbadger. A forked staff rigged as a staff sling with the retention cord tied on one fork and the release cord loop slipped over the other fork. It worked perfectly well. I want to look further into this because a hoopak can deliver a rifled cast if the release angle is right.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 7:54pm

he did too - and I had lots of fun with it Smiley

(but I didn't do this  with it)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #24 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:45pm

David Morningstar wrote on Jun 2nd, 2009 at 4:12pm:
There was a guy who used a forked branch to make a staff-sling hoopak, in the pic below. The center cord is shorter than the other two so as the pouch goes 'over the top' it pulls on the back of the pouch and rolls the ammo out of the front.

That hoopack thing with the sling cords works very much like my captive release cord staff sling. Mine has just the (2) usual cords with the "release" one split near the front dump pouch. The broom handle staff is 5 ft long and the cords are both about 27 in long. The cord to staf attachment points are about 1-1/2 inches apart and adjustably angled to the staff. This thing throws golf balls much faster than my regular captive release slings, and with perfect but minimal backspin.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:06am by Thomas »  

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 12:43am

Thomas,

Can you elaborate,or give more pics/video?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 6:19am

lol that is neat.
Captive pouch staff sling, ingenious.

But I have to admit I've really taken to my hoopoo.
Among other things it's brilliant for heading phoenix off when she decides to go after other dogs Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Samurismallz

Why am I wasting slinging
time on this forum?

Reply #27 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:49pm

Hoopaks had relatively short slings on one end, and were iron-shod at the other.  The iron shod part was slightly pointed, and when you spun the hoopak, it made a high pitched whining noise.  In Dragons of Autumn Twilight, the hoopak is described fully.  Tasslehoff scares the crap out of Tanis and Flint with the whining noise at the beginning, then the hoopak is described.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #28 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 9:02am

Steals your hoopak and then says "oh? is that yours? I was just keeping it safe... I found it laying around on an inn-table where any thief could have taken it!"

They were reasonable books. Hardly highbrow but not quite as cheesy as Terry Brooks Wink In most places surpassed Tolkein but then I never tried to read anything other than "Dragonlance Tales" NOT by the original authors.

I always envisioned, based on the text, the hoopak to look like a giant lacrosse club with a "stem" carved into a flattish ellipse... wider, rather than deep... for producing the bullroarer sound. hard to make a bullroarer from a round branch and some bits of string Wink it usually takes around 40 cm x 6 cm x 2cm of hardwood here. Anything less than 2/3 of that and the sound will never escape the valley you find yourself in.

Okay books... read the first 6, and then some... but probably by now firmly in the dated era of airbrushed robots and blacklight posters Tongue

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 12:11pm

Quote:
and when you spun the hoopak, it made a high pitched whining noise.

I can do that Smiley

Haven't tried it with the hoopoo, but I can do it with a staff.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)