Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial (Read 93238 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Aussie's New Slings - Tutorial
Reply #75 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:21am

Yesterday I discovered my mum had a piece of seat belt, as long as I am, in her garage Smiley.
  I guess it was a part of a child safety car seat, used back when my brother or I had small children.

After the discovery, surprisingly short time went by before my first seat belt sling was made Wink.

The pouch was easier to make than even I expected, and when testing it with a tennis ball, it somehow HELD the tennis ball until the release cord was ----- released.
timann

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #76 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:38pm

nice sling- the part where it's whipped is nice- much neater then i can manage- and actually is round and not square like mine

what type of cord are you using?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #77 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:24pm

Thanx, kid.   I have done a lot of whippings through my life, and is supposed to make them look good now Cheesy
I used some 1,5 mm poly-stuff.  The whippings are done by the method shown by peacefuljeffrey previous on this thread.
The cords on the sling is 4 mm polyester-silk.

I had to make on more, with a pouch 7" long, instead of 8" on the first.  I used paracord, from my diminishing supply, for cords, and some small pieces of black 1,5 mm poly-stuff, saved from an old project, for whippings.

Both slings has a simple overhand knot on the inner end of the cords, to prevent them from slipping through.

timann

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #78 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:53am

Now I got a little experience with those two slings.  The sling made with the 8" piece of safety belt is perfect for tennis balls.  The one made from a 7" is, as expected, a little small for tennis balls, but is still to long for golf balls. The little rascals simply roll off the side of the pouch when I load it.  For the golf balls to fit I`ll have to use a piece maybe as short as 6".  Or use longer whippings, but that seems like a waste of materials.
But it seems to be perfect for stones bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball.
timann

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #79 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 3:45pm

I do a preety long whipping knot on seatbelt slings. 9 inches for tennis balls and 7 inches for golf balls are the sizes I use for pouches.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #80 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:11am

Well, ilovepancakes, I am still in the learning phase when it comes to seat belt slings Smiley

My mother also had another strap in her garage, similar to safety belt, but not quite as wide.  I used some of it to make a 50" golf ball ultra sling. 
If it gives #me# some extra distance remains unknown Wink
timann

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #81 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:43am

Those are some nice looking slings timann. I got the measurements for PeacefulJeffrey and they have worked out for me so I thought I would share. Cheesy

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #82 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 4:05pm

I still haven't found any real seat belt... only a strap that's kind of like one.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #83 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 4:21pm

Et Cetera wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 4:05pm:
I still haven't found any real seat belt... only a strap that's kind of like one.

I made a thread offering up seatbelt material for free. PM me your address and I can ship you some on Friday. That is the only day I will be able to get to the post office.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #84 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 9:21pm

now i know that someone here has mentioned using zip ties instead of wipping, and for a while now i have been looking some seatbelt to try it on.
what i have here is not seatbelt but its some type of orange webbing.its not as thick as a seatbelt, so im not to sure of its durabilty,but it looks sturdy enough.
its to late to try it out, but tomorrow i plan to give it spin

PICT1873.JPG (317 KB | )
PICT1873.JPG

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #85 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:50pm

I'm still wondering why this hasn't been stickied; or better yet; Put in the Guides and Articles section.  Huh

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #86 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:59pm

Looks fantastic, I love the orange colour and the zip ties look very neat, as does the whole sling. As you say the material doesn't have to be seatbelt. I've used black nylon webbing of the kind used as backpack straps and a piece of load tie-down strap I found by the side of the road. It looks like cotton but it melts so must be some kind of synthetic.

My test for any new sling made this way is to put my foot on the pouch and to pull as hard as I can on the cords. I don't know how much force I'm applying, but it's got to be a lot more than they will be subjected to in slinging.

It has also occurred to me that using small hose clamps would be another quick and easy method of securing the ends. Being metal they may be a touch heavy, but they would be 100% reliable. I couldn't find any at the time and had since forgotten about it so have yet to try it.

PS. If you use the sling for golf balls and not abrasive rocks it will last a lifetime.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #87 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:07pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:50pm:
I'm still wondering why this hasn't been stickied; or better yet; Put in the Guides and Articles section.  Huh

OK Here it is stickied. As a Guides and Articles entry it would need to be tidied up quite a bit. Feel free to do it.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #88 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:16pm

the whole thing seems very light, so i'm hoping that i will get the feel of the stones im throwing, better than with the leather split pouch that i like to use. i have a feeling that with the leather i used to make it was on the thick side..... the pouch has a weight to it that you can feel. not super heavy but its still there. with this webb-belt sling i'm betting that i can rely on the weight of the stone only, so as to judge when to release more accuratly

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #89 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 2:15am

Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:07pm:
Donnerschlag wrote on Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:50pm:
I'm still wondering why this hasn't been stickied; or better yet; Put in the Guides and Articles section.  Huh

OK Here it is stickied. As a Guides and Articles entry it would need to be tidied up quite a bit. Feel free to do it.

Hmmm, I may just do that for ya. Wink
(Tidying it up)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick)