Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial (Read 93253 times)
peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Re: Aussie's New Slings - Tutorial
Reply #60 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:01pm

Joseph Curwen, your sling looks great!

It looks as though you, too, are using the sling with the nugget knot on the outside of the pouch.
I don't mean to be a detractor, but I found that the ammo is held better when using it that way than the way Aussie originally described.  I get excellent ammo retention/stability with the edges of the seatbelt curled inward on the ammo, nugget knot outside the pouch.  Both ways probably work sufficiently, but I have more confidence in it the way I described.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #61 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 7:03pm

I edited the text of the fourth photo in my build-along, to make something more clear:

"The Multiple-Overhand knot nestled in the M-fold:
EDIT: NOTE:  This photo depicts where the nugget knot will end up eventually--not where you should have it when you begin tying the whipping.
In this picture, the "nugget knot" is snugged-up to the M-fold.   Actually, you should pull the nugget knot out toward the center of the pouch, leaving a bit of length of the cord, so that you don't end up tying the whipping around the nugget knot.  The idea is to tie the whipping tightly around the M-fold with the cord--not the nugget knot-- inside, and then pull the nugget knot so that it backs up against the tightly-held M-fold. "

I hope that helps do away with some confusion I may have caused (which Aussie picked up on and mentioned in one of his posts.  Thank you, Aussie!)

IP Logged

Joseph Curwen

Wild sling, you make my
heart sing...

France
Reply #62 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 2:23pm

peacefulljeffrey,

i tried both side, no problem at all.

I shot rocks with about 80 gramms weight at more or less 150 yards yesterday evening.

My sling is 80 cm long, i will make one longer

Joe

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #63 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 6:28pm

I have used my seatbelt slings both ways, ie with the knot on the inside and also on the outside. To be honest I could detect no difference in performance but to my eye it just looks odd with the knot on the outside. With jagged stones I imagine there could be a slightly greater risk of a snag if used "inside out". There's no right or wrong, do what feels right for you.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #64 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:38am

Ingenious use of materials Aussie.

I wanna try this, but don't have any available seat belt material, nor the time to go to the wreckers. But I do have an old bicycle inner tube that I'm thinking I that I can use for the pouch. (If it doesn't mess up my casts by stretch too much, that is. Tongue )

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #65 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 2:26am

Donnerschlag wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 1:38am:

I wanna try this, but don't have any available seat belt material, nor the time to go to the wreckers. But I do have an old bicycle inner tube that I'm thinking I that I can use for the pouch. (If it doesn't mess up my casts by stretch too much, that is. Tongue )

PM sent.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #66 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 8:43am

I have tried making pouches from stretchy belting material and the result was absolutely hopeless with a totally unprdictable release. However a bicycle tube may be OK as I know other members have made pouches from them successfully before. I suggest trying a section of mountain bike tube glued with contact adhesive and pressed flat so it turns into a piece of belting.

Please let us know how you get on as this may be another good source of pouch material. It seems that many find getting hold of seatbelt material harder than I imagined though it seems that P-J is going to look after you in this regard.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #67 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 4:43pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 31st, 2009 at 8:43am:

I have tried making pouches from stretchy belting material and the result was absolutely hopeless with a totally unprdictable release. However a bicycle tube may be OK as I know other members have made pouches from them successfully before. I suggest trying a section of mountain bike tube glued with contact adhesive and pressed flat so it turns into a piece of belting.

Please let us know how you get on as this may be another good source of pouch material. It seems that many find getting hold of seatbelt material harder than I imagined though it seems that P-J is going to look after you in this regard.

So basically sandwich two layers of bicycle tubing with superglue?

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #68 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 5:48pm

if you have bicycle inertube turn it into a slingshot. back the they used tire inertubes but they changed the formula for the rubber. the bicycle tubes however...

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #69 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 7:38pm

Ilovepancakes keeps saying that he is having trouble making a seatbelt sling happen... that makes me sad, because it's really a great design and a superbly functioning sling.  I wish I had a decent setup to make a video tutorial of the seatbelt sling, instead of just my still camera (which does make video, but has very limited functionality in that regard).

Don't get your hopes up too high, but I might decide to just give it a try anyway, crude though it may be.  I mean, I can do some intermediate video editing (I've done it before), but it's the fact that I'd probably have to shoot a dozen or so snippets of raw video and take the tedious time to upload them to my computer and string them together that has me kind of groaning about the whole idea...  The best I can say is, "We'll see."  (I really should be cleaning up my house instead of doing stuff like this!)

IP Logged

Mikk9480
Tiro

I am slinging rocks!

Denmark
Reply #70 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:22am

how do i get seabelt????????

I'm a Slinger!

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #71 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 8:18am

I get mine from the salvage yard. I have found that if you ask nicely and only take material from cars where the seatbelt tensioner is broken they normally give it to you. I have two particular yards I get mine from at no cost though all of the employees now own Seatbelt Slings and know the basics of how to use them.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #72 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:44pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 7:38pm:
Ilovepancakes keeps saying that he is having trouble making a seatbelt sling happen... that makes me sad, because it's really a great design and a superbly functioning sling.  I wish I had a decent setup to make a video tutorial of the seatbelt sling, instead of just my still camera (which does make video, but has very limited functionality in that regard).

Don't get your hopes up too high, but I might decide to just give it a try anyway, crude though it may be.  I mean, I can do some intermediate video editing (I've done it before), but it's the fact that I'd probably have to shoot a dozen or so snippets of raw video and take the tedious time to upload them to my computer and string them together that has me kind of groaning about the whole idea...  The best I can say is, "We'll see."  (I really should be cleaning up my house instead of doing stuff like this!)

Personally I thing between the two of us we have the thing pretty much nailed. Movies are pretty excellent for instructing how to sling, but stills are fine for showing how to make a sling.

I'm blown away by how you and ILP have run with this. My position as Supremo Sling Supplier is under assault. Smiley

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #73 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 2:02pm

Now I have to make one of these be back in 15 min Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #74 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 5:28pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:44pm:
peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 7:38pm:
Ilovepancakes keeps saying that he is having trouble making a seatbelt sling happen... that makes me sad, because it's really a great design and a superbly functioning sling.  I wish I had a decent setup to make a video tutorial of the seatbelt sling, instead of just my still camera (which does make video, but has very limited functionality in that regard).

Don't get your hopes up too high, but I might decide to just give it a try anyway, crude though it may be.  I mean, I can do some intermediate video editing (I've done it before), but it's the fact that I'd probably have to shoot a dozen or so snippets of raw video and take the tedious time to upload them to my computer and string them together that has me kind of groaning about the whole idea...  The best I can say is, "We'll see."  (I really should be cleaning up my house instead of doing stuff like this!)

Personally I thing between the two of us we have the thing pretty much nailed. Movies are pretty excellent for instructing how to sling, but stills are fine for showing how to make a sling.

I'm blown away by how you and ILP have run with this. My position as Supremo Sling Supplier is under assault. Smiley

I figure each continet can have at least on Supremo Sling Supplier. Grin

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)