Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial (Read 93247 times)
Neander97
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Aussie's New Slings - Tutorial
Reply #45 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 8:44pm

Aussie,

I split my 6 strand braid at the “M” and ran a three strand braid up each side of the pouch and then stitched it in place along the edge.  I decided to reverse the “M” from the way it was in your tutorial as it seemed that it would form a decent cup. I guess all along I was thinking of those lead weights and it seems that it will be just perfect for them.

I haven’t yet had a chance to try it out . . . morning chores spilled way over into the afternoon.  I’m going to head down to the creek and see about catching some supper, so I’ll chuck a rock or two with it on the way down and see how it performs.

The appearance is kind of accidental – all I have to work with right now is the white nylon twine and black yarn, but it does look pretty good.

Thanks again for the seatbelt tip – it’s a winner.

= = = = =  &&"Time, a maniac scattering dust, &&And Life, a Fury slinging flame."&&--Alfred, Lord Tennyson&&  &&== = = =

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #46 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 8:25pm

seriously, I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for this already, but with duct tape.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #47 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:12pm

xxkid123 wrote on Jun 14th, 2009 at 8:25pm:
seriously, I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for this already, but with duct tape.

You are possibly thinking of this, which was crossposted to us here at slinging.org: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/23177

IP Logged

Neander97
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #48 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 1:14pm

I slung a few rocks with the seatbelter this morning.  It’s a good sling. 

Whenever I get some paracord, I’m going to try one that follows Aussie plan more closely and give it a shot.

= = = = =  &&"Time, a maniac scattering dust, &&And Life, a Fury slinging flame."&&--Alfred, Lord Tennyson&&  &&== = = =

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #49 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 6:02pm

My seatbelt sling has probably become my favorite sling! It doesn't matter if it gets wet, it looks nice, and it works. I'll try to get a picture of it here. I've been using mostly rocks, and there's little or no wear so far, even with a material that isn't seatbelt, it's a carry strap thingy.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2009 at 12:24pm by Et Cetera »  

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #50 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 7:09am

David Morningstar wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:12pm:

You are possibly thinking of this, which was crossposted to us here at slinging.org: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/23177

Certainly similar but not identical; it doesn't use the "M fold" just rolls the edges of the duct tape in on itself from the outside and uses the actual sling cords for the constrictions. Of course you could probably combine both methods. Whatever methods or materials you use make sure you test the finished product by pulling as hard as you can on the cords to make sure everything will hold.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #51 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 4:25pm

David Morningstar wrote on Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:12pm:

oops, never mind

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #52 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:51pm

I just posted a thread about having obtained a good amount of seatbelt material from a junkyard for FREE (well, the nominal $1.00 entry fee to enter the junkyard).

Just a few minutes ago I finished my first seatbelt sling.  I'll post pictures later tonight.  It uses glow-in-the-dark cord for the lines, and also for the whipping.  The knot inside the M-fold on each side is a multiple overhand knot (2 turns, which makes a little nugget); and the "whippings" themselves are also multiple over hand knots, with 4 turns each.  The whippings are not very long, but they grip fine.  I'll add some superglue (something I don't typically like to do) when I get home tonight to make the whole thing that much more secure.

I'll be making more of these (now that I have a prodigious supply of seatbelt) and I plan to use three- or four-strand braided hemp for the lines one of these days, and hemp for the whipping.  I'll be using the "Terminal Turk's Head" for the M-fold knot--anyone familiar with the book "How to Braid Quality Custom Tack" from Ubraidit.com will know the knot.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #53 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 11:02pm

I forgot to mention this:

A good cord to use for tying the whippings is "mason's twine," which is usually a synthetic that you can get inexpensively at any hardware store.  I have seen it (in fact, I own some) in white, yellow and pink.  I have never seen it in blue or black though.  (I wish I had.)

Although I used the same cord for the whippings as I did for the retention/release lines on this last sling I made, when I make others, I'm planning to use the mason's twine.

Another good tidbit:  I have had good results with RIT Fabric Dye (the kind that comes in a box of powder) for use in dying white cord to other colors.  I have dyed white camping cord using RIT royal blue dye and the result was a nice-looking deep sky blue.  The dye is not expensive, and most any craft store will have it.  I even bought it at the supermarket a few times.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #54 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 3:48am

OK, I'm ready with some pictures of the seatbelt sling(s) I made tonight.

The equipment (seatbelt, scissors, mason's twine, lighter, camping cord) I also used a titanium marlinspike, not pictured:

The Multiple-Overhand knot, which I used for what I will call the "nugget knot," which goes inside the M-fold:

The Multiple-Overhand knot, tightened:

The Multiple-Overhand knot nestled in the M-fold:
EDIT: NOTE:  This photo depicts where the nugget knot will end up eventually--not where you should have it when you begin tying the whipping.
In this picture, the "nugget knot" is snugged-up to the M-fold.   Actually, you should pull the nugget knot out toward the center of the pouch, leaving a bit of length of the cord, so that you don't end up tying the whipping around the nugget knot.  The idea is to tie the whipping tightly around the M-fold with the cord--not the nugget knot-- inside, and then pull the nugget knot so that it backs up against the tightly-held M-fold. 

Setting up the whipping to cinch the M-fold:

The whipping, finished but without the ends melted:

The whipping, completed:

A finished sling:

The pouch with a foam golf ball loaded:

The pouch with a foam golf ball loaded (note, pouch is turned inside-out):

I have not taken the sling out for testing yet.  I have this to observe about the pouch, though:
The pouch does not exactly "cup" the ball.  What happens is the back of the pouch simple folds, while the ends of the pouch (at the whipping) have their own cupped shape which actually is what is responsible for retaining the ball; but the retention will be effective only while the pouch is held closed prior to a throw or by the centrifugal force of the throw as it is spun.

I have not decided (since it will depend on testing experience) whether it is better to use the pouch "rightside out" (with the nugget knots on the inside of the pouch) or "inside out" (with the nugget knots on the outside of the pouch).  When I began the project I was thinking it was a no-brainer that they'd be inside, but now that I have seen the sling in my hands, I think a good case might be made for putting them outside.  The edges of the pouch do different things depending on which way you close it.

If you have questions, let me know.

edit:  Just saying thank you again to Aussie for the excellent idea and tutorial.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2009 at 6:58pm by peacefuljeffrey »  

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #55 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 8:20am

Aussie thank you again for all of your contributions to the community.

PJ once again your tutorial will be my guide in making a new kind of sling.

Ok I am off to get some paracord.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #56 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 8:21am

P-J,

Thanks so much for trying and so beautifully documenting your making of the seatbelt sling. Your workmanship is par excellence! I had intended to post a few more photos of my most recent slings but there's little point now.

Couple of things:

1. I prefer to use ordinary cotton string for the constriction bindings so that I can seal them with superglue. The glue soaks into the fibres of the strig and forms an almost plastic like solid mass with NO chance of unravelling.

2. I definitely use the the pouch with the nugget knots on the INSIDE (opposite to your photo.) As you say the pouch does not really cup the projectile at the bottom but the side indentations caused by the valleys of the M fold do hold the ball securely and I have had not trouble with several thousand shots by now. However, it probably would be a good idea to tailor the pouch to the size of ball being thrown by varying the pouch length. For tennis balls I think 7 1/2" of strap may be just a bit better than my original suggestion of 7" and if tailored to golf balls only 6" may be best. Of course it may vary a little depending on how long the constriction bindings are. Mine come in 1/2" from each end.

Once again thanks for trying the idea and for the excellent photos.

Regards,

Aussie.

PS  I found it easiest to do the M fold first and hold it in place with a rubber band as you have shown, and then to insert the cord into the valley. Forming the M fold around the cord is harder to hold in place.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2009 at 6:57pm by Aussie »  

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #57 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 12:26pm

Aussie and P.J.

Both of you are “HOW TO” philanthropists!

tom

IP Logged

Nailer
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Montemorelos, NL, México
Reply #58 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 5:46pm

That sling is a terrific idea.
Have to try it soon! Thanks for the pics.
By the way, Aussie, thanks a lot for your homonime slings. I had not entered the forum for a long time.
They arrived about two weeks after the date they left Australia, 4 days of which they stayed in my town´s postal office Angry 
Greetings!

That´s what I wanted to told you. Slowpoke Rodríguez, he pack a gun!  - Looney Tunes, Mexicali Schmoes.&&&&Visit www.mexicoarmado.com

IP Logged

Joseph Curwen

Wild sling, you make my
heart sing...

France
Reply #59 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:39pm

I just made one this evening.

It works wonderfully. I love its simplicity and i am astonished to see how well it can hold a tennis ball.

Very nice idea!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy)