Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial (Read 93250 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Seatbelt  Slings - Tutorial
Reply #135 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 7:43am

Though super glue works great to secure whipping, I've never been able to use it without getting some on myself.  I prefer a hot glue gun.  It's safer and you can control the glue even after it's on your whipping or whatever.  Some people worry about the glue melting when it gets very hot outside, but this has never happened to me.  Once or twice after much heavy use I've had some of the glue gun glue peel off.  This is no big deal.  You just reapply it.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2011 at 2:17pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #136 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:09pm

When I make seatbelt slings, I don't use glue at all.  I just make very very tight whippings.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #137 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:12pm

jpderidder wrote on May 15th, 2011 at 5:46pm:
i was wondering if any of you have tried waxed dental flos for the lassing?
im thinking to give it a try.
or perhaps some other waxed cord

It may be inexpensive, but you'll get what you pay for.  That stuff is not very strong at all, and also not very resistant to abrasion.  I base my assessment on the way it performs when I'm actually using it to floss my teeth!

I use mason's twine, which is a synthetic.  You can get several different colors.  It is commonly white, yellow, or even pink.  (I have not seen blue, but you could dye the white cord blue.)  The stuff is very inexpensive.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Slingarock
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Killen, Alabama
Reply #138 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:25pm

Nylon #18 works good and comes in many different colors.  I prefer working with jute-  leather also makes for good pockets.
http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_170x135.273724363.jpg

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #139 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:28pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:12pm:
I use mason's twine, which is a synthetic.  You can get several different colors.  It is commonly white, yellow, or even pink.  (I have not seen blue, but you could dye the white cord blue.)  The stuff is very inexpensive.

Green is also very common.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #140 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 9:43pm

Nylon also reacts with superglue to create a hard plasticish material. Great matterial to use.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #141 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 7:13am

I have only recently started using super glue on my whipping knots. Like PJ I use Masons Twine and for the longest time I had no problems going sans glue. But a couple of months ago I started getting reports that the whipping was coming undone through hard use from some of the folks I had given Seatbelt Slings to.

My first few attempts with super glue created a huge mess, I think I have it down now though. I do like RMs idea about using hot glue, I need to try that out.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #142 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 7:32am

Use the cheap grade watery glue (7 tubes for $2 at the two buck shop here) as it soaks into the string better. Apply it in little dabs so as to avoid runs and/or blobs. Easy and effective. Throw away the unused portion as it's not worth keeping.

BTW Use ordinary white cotton string for thr bindings as the glue really soaks in well. On some synthetic string it just sort of sits on top and doesn't go off. On the cotton string it sets very quickly and gets quite warm as it polymerizes.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #143 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:47pm

Knaight wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:28pm:
peacefuljeffrey wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:12pm:
I use mason's twine, which is a synthetic.  You can get several different colors.  It is commonly white, yellow, or even pink.  (I have not seen blue, but you could dye the white cord blue.)  The stuff is very inexpensive.

Green is also very common.

There's a store called The Truck Stop near me that sells a lot of farm supplies and just about everything else you can think of.  They have mason line in all colors there, and even different shades of many colors.  This is off topic, but mason line good for more than whipping.  You can use it to make cords or weave pouches with.  It's very thin and also slippery so I like to mix it with other materials when I braid with it sometimes.  It's very limp and braids well with anything.  I like to use cords of natural materials with it because it is so slippery.  It goes very well with jute.  I've also used it with hemp successfully.  One of the slings I sent Eoraptor for the last SITH was made of mason line.  Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread.  I recently discovered mason line for myself and have been making some very interesting slings with it.

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #144 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:17pm

I just made my first sling of this style yesterday and gave it a good workout today.  I used pieces from my old body harness.  I had to replace it, as it was past it's expiration date (5 years).  This material is a little narrower than seat belt, and thicker, but it works fine.  I made the cords out of paracord and used the paracord inner strands for binding.  I used repeated clove hitches for the binding and tied and melted the end.  I used double overhand knots for the stoppers, and mine appears to be inside out from yours, as my knots are on the back side of the pouch, not the ammo side.  In any case, I have enough strapping for at least 5 slings, and another 43 feet of paracord.  I might make one tomorrow that's a little longer, maybe 36" loaded.  The first one is about 26"-28".  Also, I switched to metal ammo for today's practice.  I used the snap off tips for high strength bolts, which are basically little 1/2" diameter cylinders about 5/8" to 3/4" long.  Very good group today, then I ran out and had to go back to rocks.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #145 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 11:46pm

Excellent sling-making idea here.  I'm definitely going to have to give this a try later in the week.

IP Logged

jpderidder
Tiro

Oeps!

zeeland. the old one!
Reply #146 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 3:15am

you should ! and make some extra, for every one i make for myself i find myself given 3 to 4 away.

Vires et honestas

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #147 - Apr 15th, 2012 at 8:39am

Not only is the seatbelt sling a great sling but you can apply the same technique to making slings with other materials like  leather.  You can cut the leather to any size and shape your imagination can come up with then attach the cords using the same technique described here for making the seatbelt sling.

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #148 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 1:26am

Well today I finally got around to making some seatbelt slings. I also used some nylon mason’s string for the whipping. I found it handy to use a large curved upholstery needle to work the free ends of the string back under the whipping. The outside end I just cut off short and melted with a small flame. The inside end I tied around the para cord in front of the knot, cut it short and melted it. When I pulled the para cord knot tight into the slot it in turn pulled and tucked in the end of the whipping string and made it neat and secure. The hardest part was getting the mason’s string into the eye of the needle. I had to melt the ends of the string and press it flat and thin to get it through the eye. The reading glasses helped a lot J

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #149 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 5:51am

The finished product looks lovely but you don't need a needle to hide the ends of the cord. Do it as per this YT demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HFjSW37a8

I always put a little superglue on the ends of the cord at least to stop any unravelling.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15)