Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: slinging a shot put
Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 7:42am

no, 5kg shot is slingable.
You just have to do it sensibly Smiley

Go take a look at the size of rocks Joe meadmaker was slinging one handed last year.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 8:44am

If I'm not mistaken, I think he has been watching my videos on big stones.  Welcome to the forum.  Thumbs Up

To date, the biggest stone I've thrown with a sling was a bit over 3.2 kg (7.2 lb).  It was at the end of my 2021 Pumpkin Challenge video.  That was a two-handed throw though.  I think 5 kg is completely doable.  The biggest concern I would have is just making sure the sling is strong enough to hold it.

I don't think I would want to try a 5 kg projectile one-handed, but two hands actually works quite well once you get use to the difference in how the torso rotates.  Or if someone was able to use a style similar to a hammer throw, some pretty good distance could likely be achieved.  I don't know if I have the coordination for that.  Or the time to learn it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 9:44am

yeah, that whole spinning round on one leg business.
You'd need more than a net cage if I tried that !

An ambulance on site would probably be a good idea as well Smiley

But get the right technique, and it's definitely doable.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man)