Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
daivid and goliath sling (Read 30151 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: David's sling
Reply #45 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 1:04pm

well as superglue is based on a limpet secretion (unless that's another old wives tale) old moses would have had to have been wandering around the coast to have discovered the stuff :-)

Egg white they would have had and used and bone glue also and probably various local tree resins - all could have been used to seal stitched on slings quite adequately.

:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Monkeywjcr

Beware of flying rocks.

Front Royal VA
Reply #46 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:55pm

Loki wrote on Aug 27th, 2007 at 3:22am:
Considering that the Bible was originaly a huge collection of story books put together to teach moral lessons, I dont think the description would have been all that important. Just what he did with it. After all, how do you slay your "giants"?

With a shoelace.

If it fits in my sling and won't break DUCK!!!!!

IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 11:27am

Loki wrote on Aug 27th, 2007 at 3:22am:
Considering that the Bible was originaly a huge collection of story books put together to teach moral lessons, I dont think the description would have been all that important. Just what he did with it. After all, how do you slay your "giants"?

Oh...well if you werent aware they have alot of proof that supports many Biblical stories such as the battle of Jericho.... So its only a matter of time until we have found Cinderella's Magic slippers right?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #48 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 1:30pm

I remember seeing this thread, but I couldn't remember the title for it. while doing some research into folk stick foghting I came across the following information that may or may not shed light on what materials were used.

Both of these manuscripts are 19th century documents that I found on Google books. here are the notes I created so you slingers won't have to go through the entire book

Marc Adkins

The Holy Land and Syria Notes
By Frank Carpenter

Pg 248 (pdf)Pg. 161(mans)-Sling Materials

The sheperds are about the same all over Palestine, kindly eyed men wiht fair faces bronzed by the sun. They stay out all day  on the hills with the sheep, driving them into the villages at night. Each Shepard has his staff and his scrip, a little bag of dried skin. He uses a sling as David did to send a pebble just in front of any straying sheep so as to turn it back. The strings of the sling are made of goat hair, and the pad for the stone is of the same material, often made with a slit in the middle so that when a pebble is put into the sling fits cloase like a bag. Such slings are now used in fights between the boys of the villages, who practice to see who can throw stones the farthest.

The Shepard Song Notes
by Rev. Faddoul Moghabghab

Pg.47 (pdf) Pg 31(mans)

The shepherds sling is always at work hurling stones to frighten the enemies away, and his voiceis ever herd in the slient dark hours.

Pg. 54(pdf) Pg 38 (mans)

I prefer to frighten away the wolves by my sling and my voice, to which my flock are strongly attached.

Pg. 66 (pdf) Pg 46 (mans)

Shepherds always carry a sling with them, which they make from the wool of the sheep. They practice a great deal with these slings, so that after a few yearsthey become expert at using them. Davids's sling was of more service to him than any other weapon. He certainly must have been an expert, for he killed Goliath, the phillistine, with the first stone. The tribesman of Benjamin, most of whom were shepherds, were noted for thier accurate use of the sling. " every one could sling stones at an hair bredth and not miss ( Judges xx 16)

Pg 112 (pdf) Pg. 80 (mans)

With the steel spike in the heels of his boots he crushes the head of the snake which coils itself on the road, and with his sling he frightens away the wolves that lurk behind the rocks.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #49 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:27am

How about hemp?

I don't know about the horticultural history of the stuff, or its worldwide distribution and prevalence, but I imagine it's been around in a lot of cultures...  It's known for being strong and durable...

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #50 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:02am

Why would a herder use vegetable fibers to make a sling, when he's got access to all sorts of hair/leather.  Here's a description of  a shepherd's sling from 9th century Turkic peoples:

"The leather of the shepherd's sling was made of the skin of a three-year-old calf. The strings of his sling were made of the hair of three goats, and its ring was made of the hair of one goat." - The Book of Dede Korkut

Granted this is from the 9th centurry AD, not sometime BC; but thngs change s-l-o-w-l-y in that part of the world.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #51 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:50am

I am the one who made the suggestion that a herder probably wasn't going to use products from his flock. My main reason for that was these are economic products and the less of them that he uses for his own use is more that he has to sell. There are very suitable plant fiber that are available to him to make his slings with.

Now after posting that several months ago i have come across multiple references that indicate that is not the case. I will post them later on this evening when I get back home.

Marc Adkins

StaffSlinger wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:02am:
Why would a herder use vegetable fibers to make a sling, when he's got access to all sorts of hair/leather.  Here's a description of  a shepherd's sling from 9th century Turkic peoples:

"The leather of the shepherd's sling was made of the skin of a three-year-old calf. The strings of his sling were made of the hair of three goats, and its ring was made of the hair of one goat." - The Book of Dede Korkut

Granted this is from the 9th centurry AD, not sometime BC; but thngs change s-l-o-w-l-y in that part of the world.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #52 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:18am

I've been around herder cultures in several places around the world.  There are always "scraps" and bits and pieces of this and that available for small projects like slings.  Wool/hair that gets caught in brambles, or doesn't come up to grandma's high standards.  Born dead kids/lambs or 'death by misadventure' adults which are never buried or left for predators, but skinned, fleeced, butchered and otherwise used to the max.  That sort of thing.

The interesting thing about the Turkic description is that the pouch, strings and the loop or "ring" are described as separate things.  The ring or retainer loop is not just a loop tied or braided into  the end of one cord.   Obviously the 'one goat, two goats' worth of hair to make the sling references is heroic bragging as in all mythology.  Mythic heroes need to be larger than life, of course.

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #53 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:32pm

Ok Here is the first one.I Downloaded this off of Google books after searching for Shepards Sling

The Shepard Song Notes (1907)
by Rev. Faddoul Moghabghab

Pg.47 (pdf) Pg 31(mans)

The shepherds sling is always at work hurling stones to frighten the enemies

away, and his voice is ever heard in the slient dark hours.

Pg. 54(pdf) Pg 38 (mans)

I prefer to frighten away the wolves by my sling and my voice, to which my

flock are strongly attached.

Pg. 66 (pdf) Pg 46 (mans)

Shepherds always carry a sling with them, which they make from the wool of

the sheep. They practice a great deal with these slings, so that after a few

yearsthey become expert at using them. Davids's sling was of more service to

him than any other weapon. He certainly must have been an expert, for he

killed Goliath, the phillistine, with the first stone. The tribesman of Benjamin,

most of whom were shepherds, were noted for thier accurate use of the sling.

" every one could sling stones at an hair bredth and not miss ( Judges xx 16)

Pg 112 (pdf) Pg. 80 (mans)

With the steel spike in the heels of his boots he crushes the head of the snake

which coils itself on the road, and with his sling he frightens away the wolves

that lurk behind the rocks.

Pg 139 (pdf) Pg. 104 (mans) Picture 2

(Note:) Pic 2 shows a solid leather pouch with fiberous cord Sling

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 9:46pm by winkleried »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #54 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:35pm

The Holy Land and Syria Notes
By Frank Carpenter (1922)

Pg 248 (pdf)Pg. 161(mans)-Sling Materials

The sheperds are about the same all over Palestine, kindly eyed men wiht fair faces bronzed by the sun. They stay out all day  on the hills with the sheep, driving them into the villages at night. Each Shepard has his staff and his scrip, a little bag of dried skin. He uses a sling as David did to send a pebble just in front of any straying sheep so as to turn it back. The strings of the sling are made of goat hair, and the pad for the stone is of the same material, often made with a slit in the middle so that when a pebble is put into the sling fits cloase like a bag. Such slings are now used in fights between the boys of the villages, who practice to see who can throw stones the farthest.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #55 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:39pm

I belive there is a polish sling that dates from the 13th or 14th century that has a similar construction. Pic I have is a bit fuzzy though so I can't tell how it was done.

Marc Adkins

StaffSlinger wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:18am:
The interesting thing about the Turkic description is that the pouch, strings and the loop or "ring" are described as separate things.  The ring or retainer loop is not just a loop tied or braided into  the end of one cord.   Obviously the 'one goat, two goats' worth of hair to make the sling references is heroic bragging as in all mythology.  Mythic heroes need to be larger than life, of course.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #56 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:46pm

Here is the pic and I mispoke it dates from the 10th century

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #57 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:50pm

Either that or it was braided fromtwo or three diffrent colored goat hair????

But I am reaching here

Marc Adkins

StaffSlinger wrote on Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:18am:
  Obviously the 'one goat, two goats' worth of hair to make the sling references is heroic bragging as in all mythology.  Mythic heroes need to be larger than life, of course.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #58 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 3:13pm

Certainly could be two colors of goat hair, even Occam's Razor could cut that Wink

Interesting the the pouch of the pictured sling is a doughnut of cloth or leather suspended from doubled strings...

StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Dr.Q
Tiro

sometimes, the sharpest
blade is not enough

Reply #59 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:42pm

The reason the slings dimentions are not greatly especified in the BibLe such as the stature of goliath and the weights of his weapons is because Davids only count in the Bible to use such weapon was to slay goaliath. The martial arts hi and his warriors was mostly sword and shield.
David used this weapon against goliath to avoid a too close distance due to the extreme extrengh and heith of goliath at almost 10 feet tall. He knew he had to to hit him in the first hit or other ways he would have never scaped the battle with goliath. He also had 4 other stones besides the one for goliath just in case one or all of goliath 4 brothers showed there in revenge. They did not. Goliiath lost in fair combat, they were slayed later on.

I am really looking for some one who can really give details or even construct a replica of a David sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)