Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
daivid and goliath sling (Read 30160 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Re: David's sling
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Last year I worked with a man originally from Mexico. He told about the days when he was aboy and helped herd cattle using slings. To this day they make and use slings like their ancestors. Made from cactus fibers dried and braided. He says thats what works best for them. As far as he knows thats just what they have always used.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 8:14pm

I'm on the side of the traditionalists. In most primitive agrarian societies there is no notion of "process improvement". Things are done the way they always have been and even if shown something new and better it may not be adopted merely because it is just not the way it's done. I agree with those who suspect that slings made by nomadic shepherds, if there are any such left today, are most likely made the same way they have been for thousands of years.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 5:11am

Quote:
Posted by: Mike Habeeb Posted on: Yesterday at 12:19am
I think it might be a bit much to say that slings made in the middle east today would be made out of the same things they were in David's day. I would suspect that those who use slings there would make them out of the same materials any of us would. After all, if slinging is a tradition that they've continued for thousands of years for practical purposes wouldn't it make sense that they'd have constantly been improving on materials and methods of making slings? And if the tradition hasn't been kept up, then modern slingers in the area would be equally at a loss as to how the ancient sling used by David would likely have been made. I think the idea of wool, some sort of leather, or a type of plant fiber are all possible and probable materials, but I don't think we'll ever be able to pin down exactly which one it would be. I am inclined to believe, however, that it would probably be made of the most inexpensive materials available. Even though slings were very important to shepherds, David was the youngest of 8, so valuable resources probably wouldn't be spared for a sling when someone could make one from free plant fiber for the cost of time and effort. Not to mention, David reports to Saul that he had chased down and killed both bears and lions by catching them by the jaw and striking them down to save a single sheep. Anyone who is going to go to that length to recover an individual sheep is likely to be very frugal, and wouldn't mind spending the extra time to make a sling from fiber rather than spend the extra money to make one out of leather or wool a little more quickly.

Posted by: wannabeslinger Posted on: Mar 4th, 2008, 10:52pm
id go with wool or plant fibers, more so wool 

I presume these nomadic peoples never ate meat.  Wink They would consume animals and use their skins and wool etc for shoes, clothes and maybe the odd sling or two. Mostly animals were kept as a resource for the people and not as a money making item since there was no use for that. Grain, oil etc that was needed was purchased with animals or the parts of them. etc.

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #33 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:56pm

But why does it even matter what it was made of?

it worked (and well at that) and that's good enough.

I doubt it had any unique or special twist to it's design.  Undecided

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #34 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 9:22am

axon50 wrote on Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:56pm:
I doubt it had any unique or special twist to it's design.  Undecided

Well, it matters because it is of interest to some of us!

I would agree that there is likely nothing 'special' about it's design or manufacture - why should there be? It's more a matter of understanding how and from what such items were made. My guess would be linen (flax) but I have no particularly strong argument for that.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #35 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 7:03am

okay been thinking about this from the point of view of a kid guarding the goats all day.
The best design would be a braided sling with a leather lined split pouch.

Thinking behind this. you'll probably have some ideal stones for wolves bears, goat rustlers etc - but for everyday practice you're not going to want to use your best stones so you need a design that will handle any shape and size rock that you find lying around - so a straight split pouch really isn't going to cut the halafel.
You've got plenty of time so you'll braid your own sling - you've got plenty of goat leather, and you don't need much anyway.

We know that  braided sling with leather line split pouch is a very old design. If I were a goat herder thats what I'd make :-)

edit - just found one over in the pictures of slings thread.
[img]http://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/favoritesling-1_001.JPG[/img]
Nice one ranger - that's EXACTLY what I was envisaging.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2008 at 1:11pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JTK
Funditor

Give me a sling and a
javelin and im a war
machine

Western Kentucky
Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 2:04pm

wow, that is an amazing sling, who made it?

I missed!  thump  I missed bad...
superj654321  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 9:10pm

yeah, thats a great sling! Who made it? You should make a write up on how to make it! Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #38 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 9:51pm

Well, it looks like a split pouch sling (instructions for that certainly about here somewhere) to which a piece of leather has been sewn. Nicely done - but isn't that enough?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #39 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 5:35am

Because this is The Progect Goliath Section of the forum.
It's a bit esoteric compared to the main disscussionboard
And Because those of us that frequent this forum are intrested in traditional slings and what they are made of.

It might not matter what this sling was made of in the General Discussion section, But it definately does here,

Marc Adkins

axon50 wrote on Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:56pm:

it worked (and well at that) and that's good enough.

I doubt it had any unique or special twist to it's design.  Undecided

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #40 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 5:38am

C_A Claimed he found it in the picture thread over in the main discussion board

Marc Adkins

JTK wrote on Mar 8th, 2008 at 2:04pm:
wow, that is an amazing sling, who made it?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #41 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:28am

lmao - the clue is in the writing underneath the picture (I fully intend to scrounge one of those in the near future ;-).

For the unobservant I'll give you the clue to the maker again - but louder lol

Nice one [size=36]ranger[/size] - that's EXACTLY what I was envisaging.

[quote]Here is my favorite sling.  I have made at least four others like it for gifts, and can do it pretty quickly now.  I stitched the leather on with a sewing awl, which I got cheap at the craft store.  I dabbed the thread knot with super glue.  The cord is jute[/quote]

So jute and leather - pretty traditional materials too :-)

Also if you notice it's reversible. You can sling your big egg shaped rocks on the stitching side so it functions as a split pouch and everything else on the other side so it functions as a solid pouch. In fact you could even use the stitching side to sling gravel as the cord should act as a boundary to hold the smaller stones in the pouch.

Anyway it gets my vote as what a David sling should be.

And yeah - the materials for a David sling are important - paracord was pretty scarce in the middle east 2000 plus years ago :-)
Leather they had also natural plant fibres for rope. So a jute (replace with whatever fibre was used) and leather sling is certainly a viable prospect. We don't have to mention the superglue ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mike Habeeb
Descens

A verbis ad verbera

Hanover, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #42 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 1:18pm

What do you mean we don't have to bring up superglue, isn't the invention of superglue credited to Moses during the 40 years of wandering in the desert?

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.&&&&-Chuck Palahniuk-
midgetkid85  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #43 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:41pm

Yes!!!!! It was especially helpful for the occasional botched "bris". Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mike Habeeb
Descens

A verbis ad verbera

Hanover, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:42pm

haha, but apparently he didn't invent it until after he threw down the ten commandments in anger, otherwise he wouldn't have had to make that miserable trek back up the hill.

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.&&&&-Chuck Palahniuk-
midgetkid85  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)