Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Facts about Teutonian & roman slingers & more (Read 2186 times)
pepe
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Facts about Teutonian & roman slingers & more
May 7th, 2009 at 4:23am

Hi, I found this book through Google books
http://books.google.com/books?id=3OcOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA157&dq=schleuder&hl=de#PPA157...

It is about War weapons of the old Teutons and it has a whole chapter about the sling. As most of you don't know any german I will try to point out some interesting facts I haven't seen on the project so far. Eventually I'll find the time to transalte the chapter, but chances are slim right now. Perhaps some other german member has the time right now. Anyway,

Page 157:
(End of first break)
"...So this (uniformity and same weight) is why we find two types of sling projectiles within the Teuton tribes:fire-hardend caly and round- or oval- worked stones... "
"...a) (Teutonian) Slings were ether braided from "sand couch", horse-hair or animals' sinew..."
Page 158:
(Secondlast break)
"Among the teutonian weapons on the antoninian pillar the sling appears aswell...."
"...and all roman slingers wore a low helmet, greaves and a halfround shield on the left arm; A stonefilled bag hung from a leatherstrap over their right shoulder down to their left side..."

(SHORT SUMMARY PAGE 159/160)
The teutons used the sling till after the migration of nations.
Bishop Sagittarius during the siege of Commignes (585 a.d.)was known to stand on the battlement and sling at the besiegers himself.
Scandinavian tribes used the sling very long for warfare, an example of 1194 a.d. is given.
Slingstones found in teutonian graves were round or oval of very different sizes, some had a cut or a groove going around to bind a cord to the slingstones to retrive them easily after throwing.Some Teutonian slingstones also featured a hole going through the middle of the stone.

Well, there is another chapter in this book about the effects of projectile weapons where they say slings were also used from horsebacks in the roman army  Shocked
(Page 180)
Well sorry gotta run,it's working time... see you

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Facts about Teutonian & roman slingers & more
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2009 at 6:47am

Great work, Thanks!
there are also references to the Norse using stones tied with cords on them in battle.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2009 at 1:24pm by slingbadger »  

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Re: Facts about Teutonian & roman slingers & more
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2009 at 8:32pm

pepe wrote on May 7th, 2009 at 4:23am:
Hi, I found this book through Google books
http://books.google.com/books?id=3OcOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA157&dq=schleuder&hl=de#PPA157...

"...a) (Teutonian) Slings were ether braided from "sand couch", horse-hair or animals' sinew..."

Interesting. Sometime I want to try a braided horsehair sling. I have a fair amount of horsehair lying around from old projects.

I did a little research on sand couch grass, since I'd not previously heard of it. It's a type of grass that grows in sandy areas on the sea coast. It's very tolerant of salt, and can even get fresh water out of sea water. I expect it could be made into slings the way Diego makes the second sling on the Balearic video clip. Here's a link to a picture of it:

http://www.legambientearcipelagotoscano.it/biodiversita/flora/habitat/zonedunali...

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)