Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling as a club? (Read 6346 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Sling as a club?
Apr 24th, 2009 at 4:31pm

I forgot where I read/heard this, but it was something along the lines of using a loaded sling as a club if you are closer to the target. Is this historically realistic? Or was it just an idea that someone had?

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Re: Sling as a club?
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Nah, stupid idea, it would make a very clumsy weapon against any well armed footsoldier. If you plan on doing battle bring adequate side arms (it´s not as if you would get tired of hauling your sling around)

IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 6:21pm

i agree with Kuggur slingdog, i think just a stick you find on the ground or a large rock could be used more effectively as a melee weapon than a sling. hence i would recommend a retreat before facing any kind of melee infantry. also the slingers were pretty light infantry, so it should be pretty easy to escape armored soldiers.

If there is any Evil in this world, it lurks on the hearts of Mankind-
castanon93  
IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 6:22pm

i mean, retreating a few hundred feet and start slinging again.

castanon93  
IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 8:18pm

A slinger flailing his sling around wouldnt have a chance against a swordsmen etc.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 9:13pm

At best, it would be similar to a manriki in effect; though likely the stone or glandes would fly out at impact...

Maybe a one-shot thing, especially in bad light conditions.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 10:38pm

well , if you get yourself forced into a corner i supose you could sling untill the last minute, then use it once like a club. but after that you had better have a knife or what ever handy, cause then  your hip deep in poo. Shocked

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 2:16am

i woulnt even think about using the sling as a club! I would drop the sling and reach for a short sword.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 5:22am

Maybe you could grab both ends of the sling, if it's sturdy enough, and use it two-fisted like one fights with a belt (use it to entangle, parry and deflect, aim for a snap under the chin, hope for a strangle)-- but against an armoured,  heavily armed fighter with edged weapon, blunt impact weapon, or polearm ? Hmm.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 5:45am

thats quite possible, if faced with an inexperienced person using a knife, you may be able to entangle the wrist or even disarm the enemy. With enough practice it seems highly possible. This reminds me of Jacky Chan movies, he often disarms knifes and such with a jacket, similar to a sling.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 7:23am

It wasn't not just because of folklore that David is described as carrying a staff in addition to his sling. As a shepherd, he knew that the sling would be rather useless when he failed to hit a predator at distance and it got within claw or paw reach. It was then that he probably would have used the staff to try to keep at least a minimum distance between himself and the animal (or, maybe, human thief). The staff may have even been pointed at one end. Of course, a lance or spear or sword would have been better, but these were comparatively expensive. I'm sure he also carried a knife as a last option, as every man or boy in that time and others. Why would he have taken his staff into the duel with Goliath if not as a possible second weapon? For a quick getaway after missing Goliath's vulnerable spot, it would have only been an obstacle.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 8:19am

Fundibularius wrote on Apr 25th, 2009 at 7:23am:
It wasn't not just because of folklore that David is described as carrying a staff in addition to his sling. As a shepherd, he knew that the sling would be rather useless when he failed to hit a predator at distance and it got within claw or paw reach. It was then that he probably would have used the staff to try to keep at least a minimum distance between himself and the animal (or, maybe, human thief). The staff may have even been pointed at one end. Of course, a lance or spear or sword would have been better, but these were comparatively expensive. I'm sure he also carried a knife as a last option, as every man or boy in that time and others. Why would he have taken his staff into the duel with Goliath if not as a possible second weapon? For a quick getaway after missing Goliath's vulnerable spot, it would have only been an obstacle.

SPOT ON!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:14am

Quote:
Nah, stupid idea, it would make a very clumsy weapon against any well armed footsoldier

Actually it would make a very good weapon against a well armed foot soldier.
It will strike over and behind a shield, can be used to entangle a sword or sword arm and strike a hard blow against the arm at the same time.

It might not have been the close quarters weapon of choice, but  a flexible club can be a very effective weapon.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

castanon93
Descens

IN BELLU PRIMUM

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:48am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:14am:
Quote:
Nah, stupid idea, it would make a very clumsy weapon against any well armed footsoldier

Actually it would make a very good weapon against a well armed foot soldier.
It will strike over and behind a shield, can be used to entangle a sword or sword arm and strike a hard blow against the arm at the same time.

It might not have been the close quarters weapon of choice, but  a flexible club can be a very effective weapon.

if you want a flexible club, get a flail Wink

castanon93  
IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 1:10pm

In some cases it would be good to use it as a club if somone was behind a sheild. But since your close enough to the enemy, you might as well shoot him with it because its usually really easy to sling a rock at somone at point-blank range.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick)