Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
How to employ bodies of slingers in battle (Read 35577 times)
SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Re: How to employ bodies of slingers in battle
Reply #90 - May 31st, 2013 at 3:41am

So with all this talk of light infantry dueling why am I hearing so little about slingers in light armor? The thick felt, layered jack/gambeson, leather lamellar, etc.? These all sound like they would be of major benefit to slingers at risk of being hit by enemy slingers or javelin throwers, but mostly enemy archers... also the ability to use a shield while slinging is one of the sling's greatest advantages over the bow (and crossbow) and I'm hearing little about that as well. True it does slow your reload rate a bit, but is well worth it.

Also I am aware of a specific culture who does in fact utilize slinging from the rear. The Tribes of the Gilbert island did this and specifically built big back plates into their armor to protect them from the rear slingers in the case of misfire.  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/mharrsch/1443832609/

Also... the term "FIRE" is anachronistic... it comes from adding fire to a cannon or hand gun in the age of gunpowder... a pregunpowder culture would have no idea what yelling "FIRE" meant. Shoot, loose, sling, throw, or launch would be more appropriate.

Also what about multipurpose units... like heavy infantrymen who spread out a bit and plant their spears and sling as the enemy marches up and then once range is closed they pocket their slings, condense, and ready their spears?

Also why is it that the more I read about slinging in battles... and hunting, and pretty much every other situation... overhand and figure 8 seem to dominate while the helicopter sidearm casts seem to be a bad idea. Takes too much space for mass battles (and extra time), startles animals for hunting, gives away position and intent to single targets, less accurate, more difficult... seriously, this cast just seems to look cool (though not quite as cool as figure 8) and be good for slinging at a shallow but wide oncoming line of troops too far for overhand targeting but too close for long range figure 8 bombarding. Anyone want to stick up for this cast?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #91 - May 31st, 2013 at 6:37am

Slingers in formation would have had to had been more spread out than say, archers. This is to accommodate  the arm motion when in use, no matter which style was used. Also, each unit used the same style, and drilled constantly, so things could be done in a uniform fashion. This made more effective in battle.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #92 - May 31st, 2013 at 8:53am

I dispute that slingers have to be spread out. I was sandwiched between two archers in a speed shoot-off. They were standing two paces to either side of me. I used the vertical Greek style and and shot faster than both of them with no interference problems.

See how little room is needed side-to side here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjXXnDSB4s

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)